Missing 411

OhioSquatch

BFF Patron
16 hours ago, Huntster said:

That may have been the case with Muchalat Harry, but it doesn't appear that way with Ostman.

I also strongly suspect that the smallpox that Europeans brought along also had a huge effect on them. Smallpox is estimated to have wiped out 90% of aboriginal American homo sapiens. 

You may be right but if smallbox is the reason for lack of modern abductions of humans then we have to ascribe intelligence to BF that exceeds that of the NA.    The NA did not seem to have enough knowledge to avoid contact with early Europeans because of disease.     Some tribes may have taken precaustions but if they did,   I have never heard of it.    I cannot imagine a race that only uses rocks and sticks figuring out virology and coming up with contact avoidance  and social distancing proceedures that Fouci would be proud of.  

Edited by SWWASAS

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

You may be right but if smallbox is the reason for lack of modern abductions of humans then we have to ascribe intelligence to BF that exceeds that of the NA.    The NA did not seem to have enough knowledge to avoid contact with early Europeans because of disease........

Actually, I was more of the theory that sasquatch numbers have always been exponentially lower than homo sapien numbers, and as smallpox killed off so many indigenous sapiens, it nearly killed sasquatches off completely. Habitat loss as the homo sapien population has increased and logging went crazy has kept them from recovering. Indeed, even aboriginal homo sapien populations never fully recovered due to competitiin with the invading Europeans.

6 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

Personally, I am not 100% certain that there are multiple sub-species of hairy bipedal primates in North America. Nothing is certain in this field. At least not yet. However, many researchers conclude that the variations in reported sightings with different clusters of sightings sharing similar characteristics (smaller size and fewer toes in the South for instance) suggest the existence of one or more sub species. Of course I am not in a position to say unequivocally. But look at how many variants are out there in known species. Brown Bears for instance. The possibility of regional variations is not something that should be overlooked. 

But we know about all of the bears....we don't know, officially, about any of the sasquatch.

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

But we know about all of the bears....we don't know, officially, about any of the sasquatch.

Officially, perhaps not.  But after reading enough eyewitness accounts patterns can be discerned.  For instance, if Sasquatch exists, and the evidence suggests that it does, then we know that it must be a primate.  Whether an ape or a hominid can only be guessed at, but it is certain that if the animal exists than it is some form of primate.  All of the available evidence suggests that the creature is an omnivore.  They have been observed consuming a variety of animal and plant items including deer, elk, caribou, squirrels, fish, clams, berries, roots, twigs etc... Eyewitness descriptions also reveal that the species typically stands between 7 and 10 feet tall.  Hair color varies with a wide variety being mentioned in the reports ranging from black, dark brown, reddish, light brown, and even white in a few instances.  Some reports also seem to suggest the animal is primarily nocturnal.  John Green seemed to think so, but the jury is still out on that one in my opinion.

While we may not "know" anything officially at this point, more educated inferences can be made about these animals than most people realize.  

Edited by Wooly Booger
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I can maybe see accepting the possibility of different types, given the sometimes wildly different reports.  "It looked like a caveman.  It looked like a monkey in the face.  It had a muzzle.". But, even that doesn't really make sense to me.  

A lot of this is exactly what you called it... assumptions.  People come up with an idea and then just present it as fact.  Other people take it and run with it...and the next thing you know it is part of Sasquatch lore and is unchallengeable truth.  

People either don't like to say "I just don't know." or they have to be seen as an expert in a field where almost nothing (if anything) is actually proven.   

Ten people see the same event and come up with 10 different stories. What looks like a mouth to some looks like a muzzle to others, what looks like a wide nostril nose to some, looks like "a dog's nose" to others.

This is how I interpret the wild range in heights. Hysterical observation with a hint of truth.

6 hours ago, Doodler said:

Ten people see the same event and come up with 10 different stories. What looks like a mouth to some looks like a muzzle to others, what looks like a wide nostril nose to some, looks like "a dog's nose" to others.

This is how I interpret the wild range in heights. Hysterical observation with a hint of truth.

Eyewitness testimony can get you convicted for murder and keep put in jail for the rest of your life.

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Eyewitness testimony can get you convicted for murder and keep put in jail for the rest of your life.

Still doesn't make it accurate, especially with the flaws in the justice system

Human witnesses suffer from interpretation bias.  If a person is not familiar with what hey are looking at the mind may fill in the gaps. Especially in an intense encounter. 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, norseman said:

Chichagof Island home of the short faced bear!!!

Fossils? Or actual eyewitness accounts of a cryptid bear species?

Just now, Wooly Booger said:

Fossils? Or actual eyewitness accounts of a cryptid bear species?

A documentary. I’ll try to find it.

In the mean time. It’s fun to just look at that country and try to take in its scale!

• Thanks 1