Missing 411

OhioSquatch

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Chichagof Island home of the short faced bear!!!

I think Bradley Trevor Grieve hypothesized the enormous bears of Kooznoowoo (Admiralty Island) were either a descendent of the giant short-faced bears or were a mix of polar and brown bear. Chichagof Island is right next door to Kooznoowoo.

There was the one colossal bear called Grandfather that they were confident was 13' tall standing up, and taller than 6' at the hump when walking.  As they followed the bear on Tsaagwaa Mountain heading toward its den, they found a number of paw prints. One, a rear footprint, they filmed and measured it. A whopping 22" and the print was made in moss. Grieve said that moss "springs back" so the actual footprint was likely 23"-24".  Johnny Legg, a fellow biologist wo was with him on the adventure, commented it was the laargest print he'd ever seen outside an elephant. No Tlingit had been on Tsaagwaa Mtn in 400 years and no outsider has ever been on it.

They got a quick glipse on Gransfather on the film-production camera but got a full video of it on walking by a trailcam. They found hairs that were tested and DNA revealed that Grandfather was a cross between a polar and brown bear.

It is a fantastic two-hour show worth watching.  Fascinating how the size of the colossal bears of Kootnoowoo are substantially larger than Kodiak bears---and that's saying something.

Here is Admiralty Island/Kootznoowoo and Chichagof to the left. The black marker is Tsaagwaa Mountain.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=dd14a3eb-f476-4a1d-98c2-3be1d89e2b78&cp=57.592936~-135.117281&lvl=9&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 2

Found this on reddit (not my experience; I am neither 37 nor male)

So the area is deep in the Monongahela forest in Virginia. I was doing some hiking there alone trying to explore the new area seeing what's out there.

Everything was going pretty smooth in general except for one occurrence that had gotten me blown away completely. By the way, I'm a 37 year old male, been hiking in forests/mountains many times, never had an issue.

Anyway so I'm walking in the forest, it was at around 4PM, I was alone, I had everything on me including a radio beacon, a compass, GPS (on my phone and smart watch). So as you can see, taking my precautions in case I get lost so that I can figure out my whereabouts and get back. I also had printed maps on me.

While walking I all of a sudden felt some sort of weird very weird quiteness as if you know it was the vacuum, no birds chirping, just quiteness and what's weird about it is that it was so quite that I could hear like the humming in my ears that you sometimes get to hear in very quite areas. I'm thinking OK, quite odd, first though is that there might be a predator in the vicinity, so I was trying to see for that.

I did carry something to protect myself with in case I get attacked or something. Anyway, I just keep walking; no predator, but the quiteness just was there. It's weird. I did not even see any birds anymore, just trees.

I also noticed that the weather started getting worse like it became cloudy in a weird way, I don't know how to explain in, long story short, the weather got bad pretty much out of nowhere.

So at this point I kind of started feeling I don't know how to describe it. I guess uneasiness? I decided to go back. And here is this. All of a sudden GPS is out on both phone/smart watch; and the compass is spinning as if there is like a magnet close by or something like that. That got me very concerned because it pretty much means that I can't find out where to go in case I get lost.

I started walking back; none of my navigational tools are working... I kind of am still going back just kind of orienting myself by the way I came there. All of a sudden I see the clouds above are really odd. It's like most of the clouds are weird grey color, but they are not like clouds but more kind of like fog which is really way up.

Then there was another cloud kind of surrounded by grey clouds, which was black. I have never seen such cloud before. It was almost like night sky.

Then the craziness happened! All of a sudden I hear something like music... Like a town clockbell or something like that, like you know doing it every freaking 10 seconds or so.

I don't know, at that time, I just got scared, like super scared, and I just started running very very fast back to where I came from. I was running and running and then eventually I noticed that the weather got better. It was no longer cloudy. Clouds weren't in fact visible anywhere near.

I looked at my compass and GPS, and it was back up. I was in fact running in correct direction. After that I just went back to the place where I parked and left.

Later that day I looked up weather forecast for that area, there wasn't supposed to be any cloudiness anywhere near... It was supposed to be a sunny day with only episodical sporadic clouds.

I told my story to my buddies also hikers, they say it might have been that I could have maybe fallen and maybe had a dream of that, but I don't think so, because I don't remember falling and having a dream.

Anyway, it's kind of a weird story. Maybe there is a logical explanation. I don't know, magnetic storm, maybe something on the sun? The thing where sun exudes too much radiation? Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Admin

On 4/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Nipissing said:

Found this on reddit (not my experience; I am neither 37 nor male)

Just my quick take, reddit kind of took over the role of old school usenet and BBS up to like '95 with this pseudo-iffy vibe with everything posted.

Though interesting, it's a fake. West Virginny is wild and weird as we know BUT, it contains every element of a paranormal tale like markers. Temperature/weather changes, unexplained sounds.... This one is too clear and well-written. Looks like someone is practicing their writing, not a real event.

• Upvote 1

Admin

Or maybe they are just above average in writing ability... ;) I do agree that reddit is not the most trustworthy of sources. I am not a member there, and really only read stuff if it comes up in searches or someone else posts it.

On ones like this, I think it is fairly easy to presume that the hiker somehow got lost and expired due to accident and/or weather:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/fern-baird

Even though the disappearance is unsolved and she remains missing, the circumstances appear to point to an unfortunate set of incidents that doomed her. Of course, there is the situation of the other set of hikers... 

Reddit does love its paranormal fads; while I love the (ostensibly) true stories of weird things which happen to people, everything to the Reddit hivemind is a skinwalker, dogman or crawler.

Admin

Again, rain and weather move in right as the search starts and complicates matters enormously:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/mike-hearon

What is odd about a number of these cases, the Hearon case above included, is the absolute absence of any evidence related to foul play.  In some of these cases, you have the local authorities, state police, and FBI involved with access to the best evidence labs in the world.  If there was foul play, it would have been uncovered. 

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

• 3 weeks later...
Admin

This is a weird one, especially if the story is true as told:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/barbara-bolick

None of the "normal" explanations make sense in this incident.

Admin

This one is personal. We know the family and the girl in question. Mom still has hope, but that is what parents do. 

https://www.kpax.com/news/western-montana-news/mother-looking-for-help-in-finding-woman-last-seen-in-mineral-county

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/search-for-missing-woman-in-mineral-county-continues-dog-found-deceased

They also have a GoFundMe page to help with the expenses of traveling to MT and searching. 

By the way, not saying anything weird happened with this, just that it happened and at this point, the victim is still missing.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, VAfooter said:

This one is personal. We know the family and the girl in question. Mom still has hope, but that is what parents do. 

https://www.kpax.com/news/western-montana-news/mother-looking-for-help-in-finding-woman-last-seen-in-mineral-county

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-and-regional-news/search-for-missing-woman-in-mineral-county-continues-dog-found-deceased

They also have a GoFundMe page to help with the expenses of traveling to MT and searching. 

By the way, not saying anything weird happened with this, just that it happened and at this point, the victim is still missing.

Yeah. That doesn't sound good with the dog found dead in/on the river.