Can't discuss bigfoot with friends, and family.

georgerm

21 hours ago, georgerm said:

Trading whistles doesn't happen unless we know where they live.

I don't quite understand this comment. Why do we have to know where they live in order to trade whistles? You cannot trade whistles if they are out hunting away from where they reside? 

I hope you are feeling better from your surgery. 

10 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

trade whistles

I had a real interesting exchange of whistles a few  years ago.    They were not loud, did not carry far.   "We" (never saw the other half of the conversation) were separated by 15 feet or so through some very thick high elevation firs.    We were in a bottleneck, my back was to the lake, its back was to a cliff wall.    It would whistle, various counts, 1-3 little whistles, then I would repeat that back.   After a few cycles, it would stop, then I would lead with a series of small, quiet whistles, 1-3, and it would "play them back" to me.    That went on for some number of cycles of cycles, changes of lead, perhaps 20, 25, was not counting, but "many."  Eventually I got bored, moved out of the little thicket of trees we were in to a more open space, and returned to fishing.    Something ... I assume whatever it was, rejoined me after a few hundred yards when I left the opening and moved into more open, larger trees on the shore.   It would knock, quietly, but only when I was at a point in my cast where I could not turn and look behind me.   It followed me from there on around the lake doing that 'til it was time for me to return to my truck and go find a place to camp.   

Odd.  Decidedly odd.  NOT troubling, not at all.    I've had some other weird stuff happen at that one particular lake over the years but nothing quite like that.  

MIB

• Upvote 2

Me?   Not really.    I can predict about when stuff will happen there if it is going to, but it's not year around and I have no idea where they go the rest of the time .. nor truly whether they are still there the rest of the time, just more reclusive.   The odd thing is it that it is the exact same time things happen in other locations in the Cascades, so it might represent a seasonal change of behavior, not seasonal travel.

MIB

2 hours ago, NorthWind said:

I don't quite understand this comment. Why do we have to know where they live in order to trade whistles? You cannot trade whistles if they are out hunting away from where they reside? 

I hope you are feeling better from your surgery. 

My experience happened during a dark night, and I knew the bigfoots hung out in the area. The whistles were not loud and carried a short distance.  It was quite astounding to hear this.  

Thanks and feeling better after surgery.

For every 35,000 Alaska Brown Bears there might be 350 Sasquatches if we divided the brown bear number by 100.  Just a guess.  The number hopefully is too low. This would amount to about 90 Sasquatch family groups scattered around Alaska. If this number is even close it, explains why seeing a bigfoot is rare. In addition bigfoots seem to be up and around during the night and sleep during the day, making it harder to see one. The one I saw was after midnight watching our camp. Glad it wasn't hungry so we would be a 411 disappearance. 

How many Brown Bears total have you seen?

23 hours ago, MIB said:

Yeah, nice area.   Gets a bit congested there in summer with all the raft takeouts for the canyon floats and the raft / inner-tube put-ins for the float from Foster down to Hog Eddy.   I used to putter around there and up on the old Big Bend Ranch, worked for a while across the river for one of the land owners, too.  Had to cross the river on the cable car just below Foster to get to-from work.   Hanging from that old frayed cable scared the daylights out of me. 

Oh, cool.   In older days I used to spend a lot of time at Lucas's.   

Were you camped at one of the trailheads?   

Do you know where "Hell's Half Acre" is up there?   From the way my dad and great grandfather have described it, I think it might be a potential place to look for BF "nests" like the Olympic Project investigated.   That's a guess, of course.

MIB

Yes, and I think it would be a good area to look for bigfoot sign or to become a 411 statistic!      

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

For every 35,000 Alaska Brown Bears there might be 350 Sasquatches if we divided the brown bear number by 100.  Just a guess.  The number hopefully is too low. This would amount to about 90 Sasquatch family groups scattered around Alaska. If this number is even close it, explains why seeing a bigfoot is rare........

The ratio of bears to sasquatches suggested by Roger Knights in BFF v1.0 was 200 black bears per sasquatch, not brown or grizzly bears. There are an estimated 100,000 black bears in Alaska, so that would equate to 500 sasquatches.

But if that's accurate, those sasquatches are hiding well, because in nearly 50 years of outdoor activity all over Alaska, I have seen zero sign of sasquatches.

........How many Brown Bears total have you seen?........

Wow, that would be difficult to say. "Lots of them" is ny first answer. The last one I saw was August of 2018 while caribou hunting. I saw fresh grizzly footprints this past August in the same area; a sow with at least one year old cub. If I had to guess on a total number of gears actually seen, I'd say about 40 or 50. Maybe more.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

The ratio of bears to sasquatches suggested by Roger Knights in BFF v1.0 was 200 black bears per sasquatch, not brown or grizzly bears. There are an estimated 100,000 black bears in Alaska, so that would equate to 500 sasquatches.

But if that's accurate, those sasquatches are hiding well, because in nearly 50 years of outdoor activity all over Alaska, I have seen zero sign of sasquatches.

Wow, that would be difficult to say. "Lots of them" is ny first answer. The last one I saw was August of 2018 while caribou hunting. I saw fresh grizzly footprints this past August in the same area; a sow with at least one year old cub. If I had to guess on a total number of gears actually seen, I'd say about 40 or 50. Maybe more.

You are due to see a Sasquatch now, since you've seen your bear quota. 

Let's say there are 500 sasquaches and divide them into 5 individuals per bigfoot family unit. That equates to 100 family territories claimed by a sasquatches spread out over Alaska. 

I wonder if the big brown and grizzly bears chase bigfoot out of the area into a different part of the woods where hunters don't go?. Where would that be? In Oregon, I believe sasquatch rules over the Black Bear. 

My guess is hunters with weapons are avoided by sasquatch.  A harmless tourist presents a low threat level and BF may get sloppy and seen. A hunter with a gun gives off a scary image to sasquatch, and it leaves the area or hides. They stand behind trees or duck down in a prone position under a bush until it's safe if they get caught in the open. (theory) 

My family problem would be solved if we could see a BF on a family trip, or if somone brings in a dead one. Until then, I'm not allowed to talk BF with the family present.

Edited by georgerm
correct

3 minutes ago, georgerm said:

You are due to see a Sasquatch now, since you've seen your bear quota.......

Well, I hope you're right. I'd like that very much!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, georgerm said:

Yes, and I think it would be a good area to look for bigfoot sign or to become a 411 statistic! 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.     Progress does not come through playing it safe.

MIB

53 minutes ago, MIB said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.     Progress does not come through playing it safe.

MIB

Well put ...........................  My daughter had a possible BF experience while camping with her friend in a camp trailer.  Down hill from Iron mountain along the Rogue River. The Cougar Lane Store is across the river from out camp's location. Early morning something large pushed on the trailer probably on it way to the river for a drink. Do black bears do this or sasquatches? 

15 hours ago, Huntster said:

It's frustrating and the odds of seeing a sasquatch is simply very low......... opinion.           Early on, I had good sasquatch observation luck.  Forty years ago, one came around our camp.   It crouched behind a big fallen log.  Prior to that I had seen only 3 or 4 black bears.  My friend and I spent the day fire wood cutting north of Medford, Oregon. It was near an area called Union Creek. We had permits for a wood quota from the forest service.

Let's go with your back bear figures in relation to sasquatch. 

quote: Oregon is home to about 25,000 to 30,000 black bears, North America's most common bear species. Generally black in color, they can also be brown, cinnamon or blond. Fast and agile, they are good swimmers and climbers who prefer forests, trails and streams.Feb 13, 2019

Ok, we have 200 black bears per sasquatch. In Oregon there might be 30,000 black bears which means Oregon has 150 sasquatches.  This breaks down to 30 family units with 5 members per family.  If accurate, then no wonder people don't see BF very often. 

I was born in Klamath Falls, Oregon, and spent time duck hunting and exploring the hills and woods. 

BFF Patron
On 12/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, georgerm said:

Trading whistles doesn't happen unless we know where they live.

Trading whistles, bird-calls and percussives can occur when they know where we live too.  I have years of experience with that.  Doesn't mean they "live" next door to me.  It does mean they frequent an area often enough to stay engaged for sure.  Whether that infers residency, migration, seasonal use of resources, who knows? I sure don't have a clue in that element of their natural behavior. All I know in that specific engagement now is that things have gone quiet as far as I have been able to determine.  I will admit I have not been trying to rustle anything up lately but have been a keen observer about the absence of prior sign. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, georgerm said:

Well put ...........................  My daughter had a possible BF experience while camping with her friend in a camp trailer.  Down hill from Iron mountain along the Rogue River. The Cougar Lane Store is across the river from out camp's location. Early morning something large pushed on the trailer probably on it way to the river for a drink. Do black bears do this or sasquatches? 

It could be a sasquatch but i would think that improbable, probably 3rd in line of probability.    My first guess would be bear.   Lot of people along that area have problems with bears getting into their garbage cans and stuff.  One of our old neighbors kept the shed with his garbage and his livestock food wrapped in a wire cage which was insulated and electrified with a fence charger to keep the bears out.   They are a serious and frequent problem.  If one smelled food, you bet.    A little less likely but still comparatively more likely than sasquatch would be people.   Could be drunk locals, kids out screwing around, or the like.  

It's frustrating and the odds of seeing a sasquatch is simply very low......... opinion.           Early on, I had good sasquatch observation luck.  Forty years ago, one came around our camp.   It crouched behind a big fallen log.  Prior to that I had seen only 3 or 4 black bears.  My friend and I spent the day fire wood cutting north of Medford, Oregon. It was near an area called Union Creek. We had permits for a wood quota from the forest service.

Union Creek is pretty cool.    I drive up there to fish every few weeks in summer.   It's about an hour, hour and a half drive each way on good highway.   Very definitely sasquatch country, both sides of the river, upstream and downstream, for miles.   Rogue-Umpqua Divide Wilderness on the north side, Sky Lakes Wilderness on the south / east side, and Crater Lake National Park upstream and east.  And Mt Theilsen Wilderness pretty much due north.   Darn right.   Epic amount of room for bigfoot to disappear in.    There are many reports, formal and informal, from the area.   People are pretty reclusive, takes time .. decades .. to make connections.   I'm finally starting to make a little headway.   I hear a lot of second hand rumors of weird sounds in the night, constant creepy vibe, things barely seen ducking out of sight, people being followed.   

This breaks down to 30 family units with 5 members per family.  If accurate, then no wonder people don't see BF very often.

I would say that is low, but I'm not sure by how much.    There are concentrations and there are areas seemingly without any.    The thing is, the concentrations in different areas appear to occur at the same times meaning it can't be the same sasquatches.    At the moment, my guess is there are different times of year when their behavior makes them more noticeable than other times.

7 hours ago, bipedalist said:

Trading whistles, bird-calls and percussives can occur when they know where we live too.  I have years of experience with that.  Doesn't mean they "live" next door to me.  It does mean they frequent an area often enough to stay engaged for sure.  Whether that infers residency, migration, seasonal use of resources, who knows? I sure don't have a clue in that element of their natural behavior. All I know in that specific engagement now is that things have gone quiet as far as I have been able to determine.  I will admit I have not been trying to rustle anything up lately but have been a keen observer about the absence of prior sign. 

Our neighborhood is six miles from the nearest bigfoot habitat. The habitat goes 15 miles north and south along the ocean, and twenty miles east and west over and around Coquille, Oregon. I have no idea as to their movement. My friend Bob and his buddies, went upland from the slough and ran into a BF standing in the bushes one summer evening. When I go in and around the clam beds some months, the wood knocks start up. A lady was followed on one of the estuary trails, and she complained to my friend, the shop owner. Some large animal was crashing through the brush parallel to her hiking course. Then  5 miles away from the ocean, one was seen crossing the main Oregon coast highway.  In this same area, a deer hunter said he saw a BF sitting on a log. It could be one family unit moving from place to place in the 300 square mile area.