Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

So, he stared into the kids eyes as it died, decided it looked very human, started regretting shooting it and then he threw the dead and bloody body at his friend. That is a bit messed up to say the least. That seems to be the worst part of the whole incident in my opinion.

I find it very odd that there was that many piles of poop in the road. I'm not sure if he is lying that he would make up such a large number. It really is hard to comprehend that it could be that much.

Am I the only one here that thinks the kids should have been able to track the parent down? Were they so young that they were that clueless? I guess that is possible.

I remember awhile back Justin saying the parent ran on all fours and I asked if it was actually running on all fours or stumbling because it had been shot and it just looked like it was running on all fours. I honestly don't remember too many details of how I asked it or how he answered it, but I don't remember him ever saying it was stumbling from being shot the way he mentioned it in this video. I tried to look up exactly what I asked, but I don't know how and I don't want to look through 94 pages. Can anyone please give me some help in the best way to find that? Thanks.

I also asked awhile back why the driver got out and searched without a gun and I'm not sure I ever got an answer. I'm not really remembering how my questions and his answers went, but the driver not grabbing a gun makes no sense to me at all.

Something else about this video is Justin said the driver was still yelling "don't shoot" when the parent crawled over the hill. It seems like they knew the bigfoot was severely injured and would die so why wouldn't they want to shoot it again so it didn't suffer so much? I'm not a hunter so maybe I'm not thinking correctly on that, but it seems to me that shooting it again would have been the best thing to do.

Derek,

You said you recovered "bone frag with some hair on it." Is this in addition to the "steak" or is it the same as the "steak?"

I also wonder why Smeja is absolute about having never thought or talked about Bigfoot before the event in question, when he lives and hunts in a state famous as a epicenter of Bigfoot history, and his own wife, he has said, claimed to have always believed in Bigfoot.

And did he say he wanted an unbiased DNA test done on the sample. Does this imply he thinks the Ketchum work is biased?

Derek, don't you think kicking Justin out of the Olympic Project based on this is a bit harsh. Like you said, you maybe need a couple of days to cool off. Maybe you shouldn't make decisions like this when you are fuming. I understand you're disgusted by what happened. Okay so Justin said he had an urge to shoot the little one, and not necessarily because he felt threatened. But still, like you've said before, his thinking back then is not reflective of how he thinks now. Why all of a sudden does all of his wishes to somehow pay resitiution and do what it takes to make up for it not count anymore? According to Bart Cutino, who has spent an awful lot of time with Justin, he feels that Justin is really good guy who is really sorry about what happened. Just seems like the decision to air him out and fire him on a forum thread is a pretty rash move.

This kinda seems like a perfect way to get the study thrown out by the way. Derek puts Justin on blast, he talks about the results, and bam, the study gets tossed out just like that. This seems kinda shaky.

Edited by arizonabigfoot

Derek we all have times where patience with someone or a situation is not our strong point and reaches a breaking point. Venting probably made you feel better but the decisions are yours to make about the Olympic Project.

Justin the best advice Derek ever gave you was "silence is golden", what you don't say can't come back to haunt you. Don't react in haste and think your situation over carefully.

I wish you both the best.

I just find it unfortunate that everything was great and supposedly a great friendship was struck and tests were done and a book was written, and now that there is no more use for Smeja, all that changes.

NiceguyJon I feel the same, on the other hand JS hasn't been very "manageable".for OP and their ultimate goal, the successful inclusion of the sample in a published study and so on....

..what to do, what to do?

Well, don't get caught up in this kind of thing for starters...the ends don't justify the means, ever really, do they/?

But, water under the bridge, and handling via a forum seems pretty rough, and the antithesis of classy., but maybe he isn't responding to email or phone, i have had that situation before..

Now, to not perpetuate the pain/tragedy or exploit it, what to do, what to do?

For OP the answer is easy, move on, send more samples to Oxford/Sykes, join a protection effort...that is the goal right? Protection through proof......?

For Justin Smeja what now? it seems to me Wally Hersom, or whoever has led Justin down this long wait. (maybe it's Ketchum)....it will be two years soon, was asking a lot of even the most balanced emotionally mature individual, much less a young man of the type Justin seems to be..

Redneck hunter or not, he held a child as it died from his hand. . He has many who do not believe him, perhaps even his father. He is the subject of internet hate and also seduction, do you think Justin thought Ro was a friend? or Derek?

I recommend, you who have sidled up to Justin as a friend or given guidance, help him find some help if he hasn't gotten it already. Being dumped by the rescuers of his situation might be a little much at this point in his life?

What to do? IMO Wally and/or OP, or whoever can, see Justin through some counseling, real counseling, not counseling for BF $$ and fame, but mental health and processing what has happened, and what is still in front of him. If he declines, not much one can do but offer the $$, especially if he hasn't insurance..that's my opinion....

I know counseling is not a 'redneck hunter" thing to do..the machismo and all...but if he hasn't yet, I do think the right counselor will be an important part of his dealing with and growing through this...and in the end it is better for us, for him, and for BFs if he grows into a better man...maybe even leading some protection efforts as OP envisioned once.

Edited by apehuman

JRid,

Two pages back, my post #2758, I said it really surprised me that the two litle ones couldn't find their parent. That he couldn't find it after he shot it--not surprising.

He should have asked Justin if they are closer to apes or to humans, in his opinion. And I also wonder now how it ran on all fours, what did that look like?

Justin is an average Joe in a really weird situation. I agree with all the stuff JRid says, but I wonder if I would show sterling character if I were in a jam like he has landed in. He is trying to gracefully deal with all this, and it's gotta be a mindbender. I am not going to cast the first stone at him. Meh. What a weird thing to have happen to you! And I know it didn't exactly happen TO him, but that it was him, that all the factors fell just so, making him the Squatch Killer, well, that is pretty random. I don't blame him, and I don't thank him, and I don't give him any credit.

Derek,

You are well within your rights, but don't let them grind ya down. Somebody buy < this man a round trip ticket to Hawaii!

Why did I do this on a public forum? This whole thing's public. The video sure as heck was public. I wanted it done and I was too angry to talk to him. I know this sounds crazy, but he is my friend. I just can't stand what he did and I can no longer be involved. I don't have any other motives. I have to be able to live with myself. I know he's telling the truth, and I know the story's real, but that's beside the point. I could have done it privately but what's the point? It would have been out right away anyhow, and then it would have looked like I was trying to hide something, or be secretive. You can't win in this arena no matter what you do.

DR

Guest OntarioSquatch

I totally understand that decision. Justin was beginning to give your project a bad name, I think that's pretty clear. I think he could have shown more class in that interview. I was completely stunned by some of what he said. And not in a good way.

No doubt Justin's a lose cannon but it seems to me that Justin has had it with all the waiting and is extremely frustrated. I bet all the guy wants is validation and perhaps recognition. maybe even some cash?

His piece of the evidence pool is probably a prominent piece of the Ketchum study. And as far as those in the know it appears that he is low man of the totem pole. I would bet that for him hearing the word soon over and over again, eventually lost any and all effectiveness as a pacifier. I know it stopped working for me over a year ago and I'm not even connected to the study.

I hope that when he gets his answers back and if validated from the other lab(s) he posts them right here for all to see and wouldn't it be ironic if it was before the almighty "soon" materialized?

I'm a fan of OP and believe that Derek is a stand up guy. I bet he's pretty tired of the waiting too. It's unfortunate that it had to go down this way.

Edited by Polypodium