Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Chad Triplett:

"So Justin and his other "hunting buddy" (not spotter) where riding those roads looking to harvest a deer or bear..."

You can harvest bears now?

Chad:

"...most hunters know this and most hunters are trained to take sickly animals, rabid animals, deformed animals out of the population or heard. This is common in deer hunting because you want a healthy population. When a hunter with that ethic sees a animal out of place then that part of a hunter's ethics may have came into play..."

All hail the noble hunter - doing Darwin's work!

Some people just like shooting stuff. I wish we could all just admit that sometimes...

YES u can kill bears. I live in NC where we have TWO seasons for bear!

Thanks Justin!! I noticed the driver got out without a gun....and you guys separated for a while.....was he not the least bit concerned about his safety while looking for the wounded adult??

SSR Team

Oops true.....so let me ask you a couple of questions (Ok with you Bobby?)

It was a joke, hence the :D at the end.

I'm gonna take a moment here to commend the General for making himself so available.

The nature of some of the comments directed at him, and the tone and content of the questioning would make most people run.

Whether you believe his story or not, whether you condone his actions or not, the guy is still here, despite some pretty scornful posts.

Honestly, the tone some of you take is like you've got an accused in a stone-walled room under a bright light with a billy club in one hand, a phone book in the other, and no phone in the room, if you catch my drift, making him tell his story 17 times in the hope that he'll tell it differently just once.

General,

Do you enjoy killing animals?

Cervo, what kind of question is that? Do you hate eating meat? Pick up any outdoor life magazine and flip thru it and you will see hunters who do enjoy killing whatever they are hunting. For sum of us it is tradition. The first deer my oldest son harvested made me proud and happy...and so did my dad on the first deer I took....I have a black bear rug that I took in 92' and I am happy I did. Hunters dont hunt cause they hate killing animals. Nor do people fish cause they hate it....they love it, for some its recreation, for some its a way of life. So where is Ted Nugent when ya need him lol!

I'm gonna take a moment here to commend the General for making himself so available.

The nature of some of the comments directed at him, and the tone and content of the questioning would make most people run.

Whether you believe his story or not, whether you condone his actions or not, the guy is still here, despite some pretty scornful posts.

Honestly, the tone some of you take is like you've got an accused in a stone-walled room under a bright light with a billy club in one hand, a phone book in the other, and no phone in the room, if you catch my drift, making him tell his story 17 times in the hope that he'll tell it differently just once.

I AGREE!

Edited by Chad Triplett

Guest poignant

General,

I don't wanna muddy up the discussion with debate over the ethics of your actions - there's another time and place for that.

Right now I think we are all looking forward to some clarification on the actions of the driver. I'm also struggling to believe that a seasoned outdoorsman such as yourself would not have cached the 35lb body in a more obviously marked location for future recovery.

This forum is a good avenue and opportunity to dispel any rumors or hearsay regarding the interview.

Help us all out here please. Look forward to your comments.

Thanks.

Edited by poignant

Good post Chad!! I enjoy the hunt...and the end result is the kill! Now, personally I don't have to "kill" anything for it to be a successful hunt...I just enjoy the outdoors and being with my friends/family as much as anything! I will say this for Justin.....he said they were deer hunting and "passed" on several smaller bucks and were looking for something bigger....which I would say that comment speaks that its not just about the "kill" with him.

I think this statement is very correct and makes sense from a psychological perspective. If you hunt, then you by definition are presenting yourself the opportunity to kill something. Cognitive dissonance theory notes that a person will justify their actions after they have acted, the "I can't be a bad guy therefore there must be a good reason for what I do" scenario. Repeated killing of animals will change your psyche and outlook.

My impression is that JS is being truthful in his interview and statements and has been fairly consistent with his story. However, there seems to be certain elements he still hasn't told and is not yet comfortable telling.

I for one do not have any need to pass moral judgement on JS for what transpired. It happened and he has indicated that he would rather have acted differently in that moment. Right now I think he's trying to do the best he can with the aftermath.

Derek, I certainly understand your concerns and need to distance yourself from JS. However, I in no way think that JS's actions or interviews reflect poorly on the Olympic Project. You saw an opportunity to collect invaluable DNA evidence and connected with JS to help make that happen. Anything beyond that has no bearing on the OP IMHO. While you may be upset at the moment I hope that you will be able to reconnect with JS and let bygones be bygones.

I'll echo these sentiments even though I'm not pro-kill. plussed.

• Upvote 1

Guest Cervelo

Chad,

It's a simple question and has nothing to do with hunting!

Again your preaching to the choir my friend!

Generals a big boy he can defend himself and doesn't seem to have a problem explaining his position and I believe it's very pertinent to the discussion at this point it's a hard question and if you feel it's out of bounds, thats what the report button is for!

I don't see how that question is pertinent at all. It's like asking "Did you stop beating your wife?" where the question is an accusation in itself. How is this "investigation" going to play out? General says "yes, I enjoy killing animals" and everyone goes "A-HAAAAH!" And it is confirmed that he likes killing animals. What's to defend? He was out hunting with a buddy, stuff went down, he ended up killing an adult and a juvenile sasquatch. He has described every moment of this in GREAT DETAIL (except for the part directly after he killed the juvenile... I suspect there is something interesting there). Of course, everyone here knows EXACTLY the right way to respond in every imaginable situation, so EVERYONE would have handled it much better. I suspect most of us would have taken the family home and taught them all how to read; unfortunately general didn't. He KILLED them. He has been honest about it every step of the way, and has shown remorse.

But seriously General, none of that is important, because inquiring minds want you to answer a question so that can crucify you for it:

Do you enjoy killing animals??

Good post Chad!! I enjoy the hunt...and the end result is the kill! Now, personally I don't have to "kill" anything for it to be a successful hunt...I just enjoy the outdoors and being with my friends/family as much as anything! I will say this for Justin.....he said they were deer hunting and "passed" on several smaller bucks and were looking for something bigger....which I would say that comment speaks that its not just about the "kill" with him.

I agree 100% some of my fav hunting adventures where when I didnt shoot a thing but the pure joy of the hunt and the outdoors is my biggest joy. Thank you for the post. As for JS passing on smaller bucks...yes that shows he just does not shoot anything that moves! Ur right that speaks volumes that he isnt just about the "kill".

Edited by Chad Triplett