Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest BFSleuth

His attitude about hunting and killing reminds me of my brother: He has no emotional connection with his prey. I don't think this is unusual at all for hunters, at least from what I've seen.

I think this statement is very correct and makes sense from a psychological perspective. If you hunt, then you by definition are presenting yourself the opportunity to kill something. Cognitive dissonance theory notes that a person will justify their actions after they have acted, the "I can't be a bad guy therefore there must be a good reason for what I do" scenario. Repeated killing of animals will change your psyche and outlook.

My impression is that JS is being truthful in his interview and statements and has been fairly consistent with his story. However, there seems to be certain elements he still hasn't told and is not yet comfortable telling.

I for one do not have any need to pass moral judgement on JS for what transpired. It happened and he has indicated that he would rather have acted differently in that moment. Right now I think he's trying to do the best he can with the aftermath.

Derek, I certainly understand your concerns and need to distance yourself from JS. However, I in no way think that JS's actions or interviews reflect poorly on the Olympic Project. You saw an opportunity to collect invaluable DNA evidence and connected with JS to help make that happen. Anything beyond that has no bearing on the OP IMHO. While you may be upset at the moment I hope that you will be able to reconnect with JS and let bygones be bygones.

Guest slimwitless

I never said it was new information nor implied it, i mentioned it because i can't see how he thought that he was being threatened can be a reason to shoot it if he was looking for a neck shot to " not mess up the skull ".

It's not a new revelation either. Clearly bringing home evidence played a part in that second shooting. I first heard about this idea of taking the juvenile as proof from a commenter on a blog who claimed he was on the recovery expedition (the one led by DR). Later, General's own comments confirmed the thought had crossed his mind. Surely this concept isn't news to anyone that was there that day. I've tried to divine motives to the best of my abilities. Maybe the book will illuminate my thinking because (although interesting) this interview hasn't changed my mind about why he did what he did.

Edit to add: I feel compelled to state I'm waiting for proof on this like everyone else. I don't know if these creatures exist. Until then, this is just a very intriguing story. Perhaps my opinion would be different if I was absolutely certain of the truth of it.

Edited by slimwitless

BFF Patron

I thought there was a book coming out.

I remember another popular Bigfoot book that came out too, Enoch. Something other than the truth as I remember.

SSR Team

B, i'm with you, you're talking to someone who thinks there are quite a few little white lies in this whole thing, don't worry about that..;)

Like everyone else i guess, i have my own idea of went went on that day and what is the truth and what may not be.

& i'm with you, we probably won't ever know the truth anyway.

Chad,

I'm a hunter also, I for one cannot in any way comprehend someone shooting when their spotter says not too, I am pro kill, but his trigger discipline is shall we say lacking?

I don't care what it is 80yrds or 80 feet, if I'm on target leaning against my truck I'm not in any danger be it Bambi, Bigfoot or Bozo the insane clown.

You guys can peedle your "you werent there how would you know" marlkey to someone else.

This guy is an embarrassment to all hunters and dangerous to anyone within range.

Yowie, his pal was not his spotter. He was a hunting buddy. He states he has way more experience in hunting than his buddy so to me he used his judgement. It is legal to drive and hunt those fire roads or logging roads where this happened. So Justin and his other "hunting buddy" (not spotter) where riding those roads looking to harvest a deer or bear.( Dont remember which) but that is common in that area cause it is permitted. So if your bashing him from shooting from the truck door then your bashing a huge amount of hunters who are permitted to hunt this way in this area and all over other states where it is permitted. Some states allow it to control populations, most hunters know this and most hunters are trained to take sickly animals, rabid animals, deformed animals out of the population or heard. This is common in deer hunting because you want a healthy population. When a hunter with that ethic sees a animal out of place then that part of a hunter's ethics may have came into play or as he said its a monster and it isnt pose to be here.

To me that means something is wrong with the animal and he preseves (sic) something to be wrong with it just like anyone who sees a monster. He never says its a man in a suit but rather it looks like a man in a suit the same way PG look to him. To me and imo he shot it cause it was out of place, a freak of nature, a monster just like he said.He shot the young one because he felt threatened to some degree and to verify the whole story. I respect your opinion, and you so please try to see my view. I do not agree with all that took place but I do understand how and why it did. I hope another squatch NEVER gets killed but if this proves that they exist to the world then it is what it is. IMHO.

Edited by Chad Triplett

SSR Team

I completely see where you're coming from Chad and can understand a lot of what you say.

Guest Cervelo

Chad,

Your preaching to the choir my friend!

I'm not judging J on a moral issue it's a safety, responsibility issue, once the bullet leaves there's no takin it back!

If you and I are out hunting and I'm looking thru a pair of binocs and your on target getting ready to shoot and I say not to because the target is waving its arms at us, would you shoot?

How could that not create doubt in someones mind?

It's all been answered previously in this very thread, it's been beat to death!

But I can tell you whatever the truth is so be it, but my opinion of J is very much established after watching the interview ;)

Guest slimwitless

I remember another popular Bigfoot book that came out too, Enoch. Something other than the truth as I remember.

It'd be a lot more believable if "Mike" had managed to snag some DNA.

In listening to the Bobo interview today, he said something that may have something to do with this whole event. He said that Justin had been drinking the day of the shooting and that would have had a direct impact on his ability to make decisions. I think he actually said he was "pounding beers all day". I could be mistaken but that is my recollection.

Another tidbit from the interview is he said Justin and Jack (the driver) had run across a game warden at some point during the day and along with the drinking, he didn't want the warden to possibly catch him with the body. That is why he hid it.

Alcohol would absolutely impair his judgment and reasoning. I had not heard nor read that part before today.

There is certainly more to the STORY than is been told. We may never no, if the driver ever comes forward he may have a different tale to tell

Guest Shaun

I'd love to hear the driver, his buddy, interviewed.

Me too Mike, maybe he'll come forward once this (whatever it is...) all comes out into the public domain?

Chad,

Your preaching to the choir my friend!

I'm not judging J on a moral issue it's a safety, responsibility issue, once the bullet leaves there's no takin it back!

If you and I are out hunting and I'm looking thru a pair of binocs and your on target getting ready to shoot and I say not to because the target is waving its arms at us, would you shoot?

How could that not create doubt in someones mind?

It's all been answered previously in this very thread, it's been beat to death!

But I can tell you whatever the truth is so be it, but my opinion of J is very much established after watching the interview ;)

I think JS knew it wasnt a man and it was a monster so he decided it was best to take it out. If he didnt know for sure that it wasnt a person than yes I agree with you but he never said that...he said it looked like a man in a suit like PG does and he said it "was" a monster. He never said this may be a man in a suit...I think he didnt listen to the driver just because he is more experienced and knowledgable than him to make that decision. Thats what I took from his comments on saying he had killed way more animals than him but the driver was more experienced in wars and such. IMHO... Remember we where not there. To interview the driver would be awesome!

In listening to the Bobo interview today, he said something that may have something to do with this whole event. He said that Justin had been drinking the day of the shooting and that would have had a direct impact on his ability to make decisions. I think he actually said he was "pounding beers all day". I could be mistaken but that is my recollection.

Another tidbit from the interview is he said Justin and Jack (the driver) had run across a game warden at some point during the day and along with the drinking, he didn't want the warden to possibly catch him with the body. That is why he hid it.

Alcohol would absolutely impair his judgment and reasoning. I had not heard nor read that part before today.

if this is true than it will explain everything...esp DR reaction. Where is Bobo's interview located? Id like to hear it. Thanks!

Edited by Chad Triplett

I don't agree many times with Cervelo, but in this case, 100 percent. To me, there is a huge difference in hunting and shooting. JS is a shooter and probably a very good one. I will not go into it more than that.

To get a specimen, this is exactly the scenario it would take, IMO. Besides the obvious of finding one dead, to kill what has been described to me would take a person very much like JS. As a hunter, I would and could never take those shots unless I felt I or someone else was in immediate danger. This is one of the reasons that if they do exist as described, no specimen has been killed AND been brought in for study. None of this should surprise anyone who has had a sincere interest in bf. The only thing that would really surprise me after seeing this interview is if he really did not recover a mostly complete body.

I have met many hunters and a few shooters and there is a big difference in mostly morals but also in woodsman skills. Derek and Cervelo are the types of hunters I would be proud to be in the woods with as they probably never have to look over their shoulder for the law. As far as JS, he is the type that could and maybe did bring in a type specimen for many of us, for good or bad.

I am basing this on one interview and a few comments from him. It may not be fair to JS to form an opinion based only on this. UPs