Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

8 hours ago, norseman said:

I don’t see why not. It has two buttons on each side for retention.

Loctite would help but I’m a full tang guy from here on out. My son can do it if he wants.

I think those SOGs are made in Taiwan, unless I am mistaken. 

At least the Hogue is made in the good old USA. Enjoy! Looks sweet!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorthWind said:

I think those SOGs are made in Taiwan, unless I am mistaken. 

At least the Hogue is made in the good old USA. Enjoy! Looks sweet!

SOG was awesome when they were made in Seki City, Japan.  I think that they are mostly Chinese made now, although they have started making a few models in the states now.  

Taiwan is starting to be the new Seki City.  Honestly, my Taiwan Cold Steels have flawless fit and finish.

• Thanks 1

Put er on the recon bag.

Pulled the pistol cuz it keeps turning on my stream light and killing the battery. Need a different setup. 

75D91312-A241-40A8-AADF-46DD58EFF38E.jpeg

7192A34F-A8F5-4100-8331-BB9F3D3CFF90.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 12:15 AM, norseman said:

Put er on the recon bag.

Pulled the pistol cuz it keeps turning on my stream light and killing the battery. Need a different setup. 

75D91312-A241-40A8-AADF-46DD58EFF38E.jpeg

7192A34F-A8F5-4100-8331-BB9F3D3CFF90.jpeg

That’s the problem with kit bags and weapons lights.  The switch needs to be easy enough to engage under duress, which makes it easy for the compression of the kit bag to accidentally turn it on.  

That blade is the perfect size for that bag, Norse.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bought myself a full tang knife. I love my Marttiini, but I'm afraid of breaking it if I process wood with it, so. I found this online, from the Ukraine, from a new company called BPS Knives. It is big, with a 5-inch blade, but the handle is small for my small hands. I was eyeballing a different knife but I'm liking this one a lot, surprisingly. The sheath is lovely and hangs under my pack waist belt, which is a perfect fit. Time to go bushcrafting!

20220205_105716.jpg

I also picked up this little thing at Duluth Clothing store and it might be nice for carving.

20220205_105651.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

That BPS knife is carbon steel, too. You got a smoking good deal. Leather sheath. Fire steel, hardwood. And the price. Even for double the price you paid. We should buy them by the pallet load. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking the lead from BRB, Norse, NW,  and Madison I pulled th trigger on a knife. I have a question about how to affix it to the front of my chest pack. In the past, I've attached my ESEE to the bottom of the chest pack by weaving the molle straps on the ESEE sheath to the webbing on the bottom.  The new knife is a Mora and I ordered I kydex sheath for it as the one that came with it won't work. This is what the knife and sheath will look like:

https://armorsheaths.com/products/mora-bushcraft-custom-kydex-sheath?variant=27214911873

I could use molle loks, chicago posts, or get back to basics and secure it using paracord.  I'm leaning toward paracord as the sheath has a lot of connection points and I will be able to lock it down so it won't move.

Is there another system/method of securing the sheath to a molle system I should consider?  Here is the chest pack...it's the one on the left:

1741973580_HPGKitBags.thumb.jpg.9cef12ab914c226c3beefafd7b867e1b.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Taking the lead from BRB, Norse, NW,  and Madison I pulled th trigger on a knife. I have a question about how to affix it to the front of my chest pack. In the past, I've attached my ESEE to the bottom of the chest pack by weaving the molle straps on the ESEE sheath to the webbing on the bottom.  The new knife is a Mora and I ordered I kydex sheath for it as the one that came with it won't work. This is what the knife and sheath will look like:

https://armorsheaths.com/products/mora-bushcraft-custom-kydex-sheath?variant=27214911873

I could use molle loks, chicago posts, or get back to basics and secure it using paracord.  I'm leaning toward paracord as the sheath has a lot of connection points and I will be able to lock it down so it won't move.

Is there another system/method of securing the sheath to a molle system I should consider?  Here is the chest pack...it's the one on the left:

1741973580_HPGKitBags.thumb.jpg.9cef12ab914c226c3beefafd7b867e1b.jpg

I used paracord to attach my knife.

I've only used paracord. It holds just fine on my Esee 4 which I carry upside down on my right backpack strap (because I am left handed), and it's always nice to carry extra cordage just in case you have to tie something down, or fashion, oh, I don't know, an emergency splint or something. ;)

My Fallkniven Frej, I have in a Patriot Leather sheath, custom made on a dangler from my left hip, so it doesn't interfere with my 1911 and three mags. I LOVE that knife, and I LOVE that sheath. I don't run a chest rig at this time.

Good knife choice though. Carbon steel or stainless??

Take a look at tek-locks too, maybe. I've never used one though.

• Upvote 1

You and BRB have a fair amount of really good knives. I heard good things about both the stainless and carbon steel so I decided to get both.  It's one of the few times when indecision can be a little fun.

We'll see out they perform in the field. I really like the rubberized handles which allow me to get a grip that doesn't move. I may be on the hunt for a big blade before summer's end. Too many knives and so little time!

Edited by wiiawiwb

With a rubberized handle, be careful with bug dope. Never let it contact the rubber. I put some deet on my hands to rub all over me, and forgot about it. Much later, I used my knife. The rubber just got sticky and melted. I still have the knife (a SOG folder), and the rubber is still soft, almost gooey on the outside.