Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

14 hours ago, MagniAesir said:

I wasted one of those on a Christmas present for my oldest daughters ex

Dang, I'm sorry. Should have kept it, and given him a gift card to Cabela's or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a very nicely made leather sheath for the Esee 4 from Jeffrey Karukes, trading as Zoney 59 on Eslay. Came with a firesteel and a loop to store it though the cerakoted blade doesn't work well for sparking til enough coating scrapes off.  Also made a new one for the Boker which carries better and doesn't need to be refastened in.

IMG_7771.thumb.jpg.ee714096de47d800fd0243165bb8b22a.jpg

IMG_7778.thumb.jpg.e4b7913fc7e0b9eb1fbf7e6e398ca1c6.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Beautiful sheaths.

What is Eslay...I never heard of it?

It's how I refer to that auction site without naming it:)

@KiwakweAwesome looking sheaths!  You made the second one?

I picked up a Savage Sheath for my Cold Steel Recon Scout and one for my W49 Bowie.  Phenomenal craftsmanship.   

11 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@KiwakweAwesome looking sheaths!  You made the second one?

I picked up a Savage Sheath for my Cold Steel Recon Scout and one for my W49 Bowie.  Phenomenal craftsmanship.   

I did. First time I've burnished an edge on a leather project, I'm at noob skill level, though I've made numerous serviceable things over the years.

Savage sheaths like this one? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-western-w49-bowie-knife-487101097

11 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I did. First time I've burnished an edge on a leather project, I'm at noob skill level, though I've made numerous serviceable things over the years.

Savage sheaths like this one? https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-western-w49-bowie-knife-487101097

Yup.  That’s it.  

The sheath that you made looks great.  Going to make any more?

17 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yup.  That’s it.  

The sheath that you made looks great.  Going to make any more?

Very Nice! You found a good W49 I assume? Why haven't we seen it yet??!!

There's nice Cudeman 115-B N695 skinner that I like but the sheath leaves a bit to be desired. If I pick one up I'll make a new one. There's the SOG Bowie whose siren call I've been fighting but that sheath seems fine. I'm sure there will be others.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Very Nice! You found a good W49 I assume? Why haven't we seen it yet??!!

There's nice Cudeman 115-B N695 skinner that I like but the sheath leaves a bit to be desired. If I pick one up I'll make a new one. There's the SOG Bowie whose siren call I've been fighting but that sheath seems fine. I'm sure there will be others.

I have been a bit MIA on the forums lately, but I will get a pic of it up.  The blade has some light scratches, but the overall condition of the blade and handle is amazing.  The guard is tight and in great shape.  The Cold Steel Western Bowie really got me interested in big, classic knives.

Right after I got it, the guy who made that antler handled skinner sent me an unfinished W49 blade along with a brass guard that needs to be shaped.  I just tracked down a set of unused W49 handle scales that a guy had from when the Western factory closed down.  Once I figure out the size of the handle pins that I need, I am going to shape the guard, attach the guard, pin the scales on, and sharpen it.  It will basically be a new W49.  

I am not familiar with the Cudeman.  That’s a Spanish cutlery company, isn’t it?  That SOG Super Bowie has always caught my eye.  Bark River brought out a similar shaped knife last year that I almost picked up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have been a bit MIA on the forums lately, but I will get a pic of it up.  The blade has some light scratches, but the overall condition of the blade and handle is amazing.  The guard is tight and in great shape.  The Cold Steel Western Bowie really got me interested in big, classic knives.

Right after I got it, the guy who made that antler handled skinner sent me an unfinished W49 blade along with a brass guard that needs to be shaped.  I just tracked down a set of unused W49 handle scales that a guy had from when the Western factory closed down.  Once I figure out the size of the handle pins that I need, I am going to shape the guard, attach the guard, pin the scales on, and sharpen it.  It will basically be a new W49.  

I am not familiar with the Cudeman.  That’s a Spanish cutlery company, isn’t it?  That SOG Super Bowie has always caught my eye.  Bark River brought out a similar shaped knife last year that I almost picked up.

That'll be cool to finish off. How do the pins work? Need peening? Probably require some re-drilling on a drill press and a small forstner bit for countersinking the heads but a Chicago screw might be more straightforward? But I imagine you want to keep it to the original design. https://www.rivetsonline.com/binder-post-barrel-nuts-chicago-screws/brass-binder-post-and-screws-chicago-screws-barrel-nuts#1

Keep us posted on the progress. One of these days I may tackle a knife project from an old file or leafspring.

Yep, Cudeman is Spanish, wasn't familiar either til I saw it. Seems to get decent reviews.

I shouldn't go look for the Bark River that you HAD to mention, I will though, we'll see how quickly the rationalization process starts....

1 minute ago, Kiwakwe said:

That'll be cool to finish off. How do the pins work? Need peening? Probably require some re-drilling on a drill press and a small forstner bit for countersinking the heads but a Chicago screw might be more straightforward? But I imagine you want to keep it to the original design. https://www.rivetsonline.com/binder-post-barrel-nuts-chicago-screws/brass-binder-post-and-screws-chicago-screws-barrel-nuts#1

Keep us posted on the progress. One of these days I may tackle a knife project from an old file or leafspring.

Yep, Cudeman is Spanish, wasn't familiar either til I saw it. Seems to get decent reviews.

I shouldn't go look for the Bark River that you HAD to mention, I will though, we'll see how quickly the rationalization process starts....

From what I can tell, I will be able to put the pins in as is…when I figure out the necessary size of the pins.

8 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

From what I can tell, I will be able to put the pins in as is…when I figure out the necessary size of the pins.

Hmmm....Are the scales glued?

Interesting tip on the BR SOG Recondo, probably stronger than the SOG but I'd not seen that before. I rationalized it real quick-like, not as expensive as I thought. Hard to come by in stock it seems.

30 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Hmmm....Are the scales glued?

Interesting tip on the BR SOG Recondo, probably stronger than the SOG but I'd not seen that before. I rationalized it real quick-like, not as expensive as I thought. Hard to come by in stock it seems.

Yeah, I will have to epoxy the scales, then pin them.  Going to practice on a cheap make your own knife kit at first.  

If you are on Facebook, join the two Bark River groups.  That’s the best place to score out of production BRKs.  I will keep my eyes peeled for one in stock.

• Like 1

I like the Barkies, but haven't gotten one yet.

As of late, I have kind of been dreaming of some of the Fallkniven models...  sigh

...it's an expensive hobby. But someone has to have it.

• 1 month later...

Made up a new sheath for the Klecker. I'll add a leather wrap and possibly fire steel loop to the original kydex for a horizontal carry.

IMG_7856.thumb.jpg.1d6efd388b4c8bc193653f7cc5f874ed.jpg

IMG_7858.thumb.jpg.b06d96c2bae5f85fdb8af4398e7f8860.jpg

IMG_7857.thumb.jpg.8bffbdff2b0f44bf5780ae2b9c7c326d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2