Knife Thread...It's about time.

Kiwakwe

15 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Roger that. Handy for those places where firearms are prohibited out of season eh?

Oh yeah.  Exactly.

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Now that's a knife!  Congratulations.

The last several knives I've purchased have been online (ESEE) but this is a good reminder how important it is to handle a knife first before puchasing. Assess its balance, the details of its fit and finish, and more. Select the pick of the litter.

We hit Smoky Mountain Knifeworks every time we are in that area.  Even production knives can have slight differences, not to mention quality control issues.  

The Indian smiths at Windlass shouldn’t be confused with Pakistani garbage and can turn out fantastic forged blades.  However, they can also turn out garbage.  Just like with their swords, there is a huge variation in the quality depending on who made it.  You really have to hold it before you buy.

Here in Oregon - at least before Covid - we have the annual knife collector's show. It is the largest one in the world (really!) Over 450 tables. Many are handmade from famous knifemakers from all over the world who gather for this event. Now that I am single, I won't have someone looking over my shoulder saying "Why do you need ANOTHER knife?" 

If this danged Covid thing would just go away!

I was looking at a GORGEOUS kitchen knife once, and the Japanese maker indicated that I should hold it and look, which I did. It was amazing. I love the Japanese style and this was authentic, complete with hamon and silk pouch and wooden box that he had made. I looked at the price tag - $4500. After gently placing the blade back down with great respect and quickly bowing my thanks, walked away with my tail between my legs.  But it felt so RIGHT in my hand. 

I agree. You really have to hold a knife and see if it "speaks" to you.

27 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Here in Oregon - at least before Covid - we have the annual knife collector's show. It is the largest one in the world (really!) Over 450 tables. Many are handmade from famous knifemakers from all over the world who gather for this event. Now that I am single, I won't have someone looking over my shoulder saying "Why do you need ANOTHER knife?" 

If this danged Covid thing would just go away!

I was looking at a GORGEOUS kitchen knife once, and the Japanese maker indicated that I should hold it and look, which I did. It was amazing. I love the Japanese style and this was authentic, complete with hamon and silk pouch and wooden box that he had made. I looked at the price tag - $4500. After gently placing the blade back down with great respect and quickly bowing my thanks, walked away with my tail between my legs.  But it felt so RIGHT in my hand. 

I agree. You really have to hold a knife and see if it "speaks" to you.

We go to Bladeshow every year in Atlanta.  This year was a bit disappointing.  Forged In Fire has encouraged a new crop of people to try their hands at making knives, which will ultimately be great for the industry.  

However, this year the show was filled with relatively new bladesmiths.  A lot of the work was enthusiastic, but repetitive and not very well done.  Variations of the same style over and over again….guardless harpoon style blades with slightly forward set handles.  A lot of the older smiths who are true artisans weren’t there.  

And anyone who has ever been on Forged In Fire has quadrupled their prices, then seemed to be upset that their pieces weren’t selling.  A smith who I have bought a couple of customs from increased his prices roughly by a thousand bucks a knife.  Then, he went an a rant on social media after the show complaining that people didn’t want to pay for his work.  Every other table has a sign saying ‘Forged In Fire Contestant Season #’.  It’s too commonplace to demand a premium.

Alkaloid fueled additions:

Boker Tree Brand 502 and Puma White Hunter. The Boker has a great feel and balance. The Puma is one of those knives I've wanted to pick up for decades due to its interesting history and because I've read too many African adventure stories.

51362660200_886f0eca20_h.jpg

51361847713_60124e5f7b_h.jpg

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

Alkaloid fueled additions:

Boker Tree Brand 502 and Puma White Hunter. The Boker has a great feel and balance. The Puma is one of those knives I've wanted to pick up for decades due to its interesting history and because I've read too many African adventure stories.

51362660200_886f0eca20_h.jpg

51361847713_60124e5f7b_h.jpg

Whoa!

That Puma!

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, Kiwakwe said:

Boker Tree Brand 502 and Puma White Hunter.

Ooh, mighty pretty!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 6:34 PM, NorthWind said:

My turn. 

20210729_183130.jpg

I wasted one of those on a Christmas present for my oldest daughters ex

5 hours ago, MagniAesir said:

I wasted one of those on a Christmas present for my oldest daughters ex

Ouch.  You should have had a clause to get all awesome knives back in case of a break up.