Jump to content

Knife Thread...It's about time.


Kiwakwe

Recommended Posts

BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
40 minutes ago, norseman said:

Knife profiled

C429CDE8-7C86-472A-9CDE-3986C14C643C.jpeg

Handle looks more in line with the blade than the knife you posted as inspiration.  Not as offset.

 

I like it.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor
1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Handle looks more in line with the blade than the knife you posted as inspiration.  Not as offset.

 

I like it.

 

 

 


Thanks!

 

Im just working off my eye. And what feels right in my hand. I really don’t know the exact dimensions or profile of that Miller bro’s blade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor
On 11/30/2020 at 11:10 PM, norseman said:


Thanks!

 

Im just working off my eye. And what feels right in my hand. I really don’t know the exact dimensions or profile of that Miller bro’s blade.

Looks great! What are you doing the cutting with? What type of grind and will that be a freehand deal or is there a jig of sorts to get it right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor

Plasma cutter for rough cut out and then a belt grinder for getting close to the profile.

 

It will be free hand. After the belt grinder comes hours and hours of filing. I will put a false edge on the clip point as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor

This gonna be the knife you use to remove the big guys head for science?

Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor
3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

This gonna be the knife you use to remove the big guys head for science?


It could certainly do the job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor
12 minutes ago, norseman said:


It could certainly do the job.

 

I don't expect the picture of you with a huge grin, that knife in one hand and a Bigfoot head in the other to be part of the initial media release/set of photos, but I hope we get to see that on the premium section of your website! :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor

Imagine the hate mail!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
BFF Donor

Cold Steel recently sold to GSM Outdoors and it's parent company Gridiron Capital. My guess is it'll go the way most things have nowadays, to shite.  Your CS blade's value may have just doubled....

http://knifenewsroom.com/2020/12/cold-steel-4-max-scout/

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Cold Steel recently sold to GSM Outdoors and it's parent company Gridiron Capital. My guess is it'll go the way most things have nowadays, to shite.  Your CS blade's value may have just doubled....

http://knifenewsroom.com/2020/12/cold-steel-4-max-scout/

I have been in the middle of the discussion about this on Cold Steel Nation and Bladeforums.

 

I love my American made blades, but I am a huge Cold Steel fan... mostly their current folders and Japanese made vintage fixed blades.

I have collected knives for most of my life. I was pretty bored with the hobby, until I picked up an SR1 a while ago.  Unbelievable folder.  Rekindled my passion for blades.  The hobby was FUN again.  Kris folders, kukri folders, Espadas...

 

Then, they sold out to GSM.  

 

It was pretty much gloom and doom for the last few weeks, but it looks like GSM (for now at least) wants to cater to the Cold Steel fans.  They are rereleasing the Talwar folder just because the Cold Steel fans asked for it on social media.  

 

A few knife insiders have seen the 2021 lineup and say that it's pretty amazing.  Time will tell, though.  If Lynn Thompson and Andrew Demko stick around, the innovation will continue.  If not, you'll be seeing liner locks with Chinese alphabet soup steel in clamshells at your local Walmart.

 

I picked up an Italian 4 Max, a Kris Voyager, and a Rajah 2 this week.  Might grab a couple more models just in case.

 

Not a lot of companies are willing to make big and bold folders like Cold Steel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor
On 12/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I have been in the middle of the discussion about this on Cold Steel Nation and Bladeforums.

 

I love my American made blades, but I am a huge Cold Steel fan... mostly their current folders and Japanese made vintage fixed blades.

I have collected knives for most of my life. I was pretty bored with the hobby, until I picked up an SR1 a while ago.  Unbelievable folder.  Rekindled my passion for blades.  The hobby was FUN again.  Kris folders, kukri folders, Espadas...

 

Then, they sold out to GSM.  

 

It was pretty much gloom and doom for the last few weeks, but it looks like GSM (for now at least) wants to cater to the Cold Steel fans.  They are rereleasing the Talwar folder just because the Cold Steel fans asked for it on social media.  

 

A few knife insiders have seen the 2021 lineup and say that it's pretty amazing.  Time will tell, though.  If Lynn Thompson and Andrew Demko stick around, the innovation will continue.  If not, you'll be seeing liner locks with Chinese alphabet soup steel in clamshells at your local Walmart.

 

I picked up an Italian 4 Max, a Kris Voyager, and a Rajah 2 this week.  Might grab a couple more models just in case.

 

Not a lot of companies are willing to make big and bold folders like Cold Steel.  

Well let's hope they hang in there. Where'd you find an Italian 4 Max? Looks like Taiwan now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Well let's hope they hang in there. Where'd you find an Italian 4 Max? Looks like Taiwan now.

There are still a few of the Italian made ones out there, although they have dried up a lot over the last couple of weeks...as well as going up $100 in price.  

 

The Taiwan version is the 4 Max Scout...less expensive materials but still an awesome knife.  I carry that or the SR1 when I go out and don't carry a fixed blade. 

 

I am done with liner locks and even most frame locks.  Cold Steel is the only folder lock that I really trust... although the CRKT Deadbolt lock seems promising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
norseman
BFF Donor

I’m not a fan of folders other than a pocketknife. They seem to get sloppy with age. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
BFF Donor
On 12/17/2020 at 12:30 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

There are still a few of the Italian made ones out there, although they have dried up a lot over the last couple of weeks...as well as going up $100 in price.  

 

The Taiwan version is the 4 Max Scout...less expensive materials but still an awesome knife.  I carry that or the SR1 when I go out and don't carry a fixed blade. 

 

I am done with liner locks and even most frame locks.  Cold Steel is the only folder lock that I really trust... although the CRKT Deadbolt lock seems promising.

I've a CRKT that I posted on the 1st page I think. It has a liner lock with a knob (in the "serrated" detent for thumb) that rotates to keep the liner from slipping out of position. It seems like a good design--at least a step above standard liner. I was impressed but I'm not that knowledgeable about locking systems. I just use fixed when I want uber reliability. I'll have to give the CS folders a look before they may be corrupted/compromised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackRockBigfoot
BFF Donor
8 hours ago, norseman said:

I’m not a fan of folders other than a pocketknife. They seem to get sloppy with age. 

Not the Triad.  It is built to wear in and still lock up like a bank vault.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...