Flashlight recommendations?

NorthWind

I am considering upgrading my flashlight. Right now, I have an older flashlight (Slyde). I use it on the job, and sometimes I leave it at the jobsite accidentally. I'd love to have a couple of them, or something like it. Runs off of four AA batteries. Love it. And, some of my other squatchtronics (it's a word now!) run off AA batteries as well, so I can just bring a bunch of AA's into the field. Interchangeable ammo, so to speak. One thing I like is that it only has one "mode". I get so frustrated turning on a flashlight and having to hit buttons over and over trying to find the right mode / brightness only to end up with a faceful of strobe (who needs a strobe?), so I am not into that. I am looking for one that you can just turn on and light something up instantly if you want. Bright, but not to the point where you can only run it for a few minutes at a time without overheating or setting fire to a nearby Douglas Fir tree. And I certainly don't need it to be able to tan someone from 500 yards off. I tried doing a little research, but found all the options so danged time consuming (I had no idea there were so many flashlight geeks out there), so I just thought I'd ask here. What do you like and why? Got any recommendations? 

NW - a couple of thoughts. There are a gazillion flashlights out their from large companies to cottage-industry one.  The best place on the the internet for all things flashlight is:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

A lot has to do with the criterion you're looking for -- brightness, multiple levels, spot vs spread, reliability, etc.  For me, there were two that were head and shoulders above everything else. Reliability and ability to have a low-lumen level. I wanted it to "take a licking and keep on ticking". I also wanted to be able to have it provide 1 or 2 lumens for many hours which would be enough to get out of the forest in an emergency.

My main FL is HDS. Not cheap but it indestructible. You can even change the batteries while the flashlight is underwater!  I have the Executive model:

https://www.hdssystems.com/

There are lots of other companies. I will send along a few others later tonight.

Maglite. A good value for the money.  $20--$30 can buy a good package.  Available almost everywhere.  Made in USA. Themes for NASCAR and MARVEL heroes are available. Sasquatch themed, black, have been around since 1979.

I have the AAA, AA and D cell. 

AAA is the 'keychain type'. Easy to lose.

AA has optional holders as in headband and bite type for hands free operation.

I have the LED and incandescent D cell size. I like the LED unit. My longest is the 6 D cell. Weighs a couple of pounds. Used for illumination and preserving disorder. The belt holder for the D  and C cell size is $8.

I don't get excited over lumens and candlepower. I am in dark forests that swallow light. The return from artificial light depends 100% on the vegetation and how it reflects and absorbs, not manufacturers specs.

Some sites to check:

https://maglite.com/

https://www.action-lights.com/

@wiiawiwb

You are sending him down the rabbit hole with Candlepower Forums! :lol:

Here's another one that is equally as technical but easier on the wallet.

http://budgetlightforum.com/

We are in the Silver Age of flashlights right now...the options are endless.  

I am the wrong one to address this topic.  I am always trying to attain more lumens.  I am currently using an Olight Warrior X Pro, but might change over to that new Klarus.

@NorthWind I haven't paid much attention to AA lights in a long time.  Let me do a little research and see what is out there.  

6 hours ago, NorthWind said:

.......What do you like and why? Got any recommendations? 

For the vehicle; 6-D cell LED Maglite. Doubles as an anti-personnel weapon, and perfectly legal for carry. Puts out big time light, and for eons of time.

AE5FE060-EF68-45AB-8121-8DC9963974C5.jpeg

For the daybag: a top quality headlamp, with a plastic container of spare batteries. There are lots of good ones out there like the Black Diamond Icon Polar. Cabelas top model is what I carry. You want a spot beam and flood light capability.

C1DC3F75-8B1D-4ABF-9890-361630BBFC97.jpeg

For a spare, or to attach to your body, a small double AA cell Maglite is good. I can think of two times one of those would have gotten me out of the woods when I got caught out there after dark.

7 hours ago, NorthWind said:

Got any recommendations?

Always.   :)   I've got 4-5 different flashlights that run on 3 AAA batteries arranged in a removable cartridge.    

Some specific part numbers (google search)

coleman 2000028653 -- They call it "Divide", 200L, has a high, low, and off.   Real bright on high.  

coleman 2000006532 -- This is usually what I backpack with.   I have 2, one for my day pack, one for my backpacking pack.  Not as bright as the one above, but good.

I have a couple Streamlight keychain minis, green beam, run on 4 hearing aid batteries.    These are great backups, clip on to stuff, weigh next to nothing, and they'd get me out of the woods if my main light dies, might not see real far, but won't walk off a cliff.   One in my day pack, one in my backpacking pack.

I also have a handful of headlamps.   For the most part, they're more pain than they're worth.    People give them to me thinking since I don't use one I must not have one.   I've got 'em, just not that fond of them.   Most run on 2-3 batteries and that's more weight than I want on my head.    One exception, which I have but haven't used much, is Nite Ize "Nitecore" NU20.   It's about 1/2 to 2/3s the weight of the others, rechargeable via USB if you happen to carry a battery pack to recharge phones, etc. .. kinda convenient.   And **bright**.  

I used to pack the 2 AA maglights.   They work well especially with LED upgrades, but since my audio recorders all are AAA 'cept for one, I've switched to AAA flashlights so I only have to carry one size of battery and, in a pinch, I can cannibalize the batteries out of any device to make any other device function.  

MIB

• Upvote 1

Northwind,  I think you're smart to chose a battery format and stick with it for all your outdoor devices. It makes things simpler. I went with the CR123 format.

ZebraLight is another popular company and they have several AA models.  I have an old headlamp of theirs that uses two small flashlights, one on either side. The nice thing is you can remove the flashlight from the headlamp and carry it if you so desire. I think you'll find that a lot of people on candlepowerforums speak very highly of them.

http://www.zebralight.com/Flashlight_c_8.html

Another less-known brand is Malkoff. I have one of their small flashlights and it has been super reliable in the outdoors.

https://malkoffdevices.com/

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

I've been using the Fenix LD22 for about 7 years now, always in my pocket. AA batteries and 300 lumens, 4 brightness settings actuated by one-hand push button.  Great little light: newer version: https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD22-2015-Lumens-Flashlight/dp/B01418RAZY/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3TQ5PTBHMOM90&dchild=1&keywords=fenix+flashlight&qid=1596036696&sprefix=fenix%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-17

I have a no longer made Coast HP550 for the 1000L with a great, clean zoom--should have bought 2 of those when I could've. 

Fenix offers a 1000L, 6 brightness/mode settings light for a fair price too: https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-FX-PD35TAC-Flashlight-Lumen/dp/B010ESCLHW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3TQ5PTBHMOM90&dchild=1&keywords=fenix+flashlight&qid=1596037004&sprefix=fenix%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-7

Thank you, all of you! I am out of likes to offer for the day, but know that I appreciate all the info that has been supplied so far.

I am narrowing it down somewhat. Really not looking for a headlamp. I don't like having something other than a hat or bandanna on my head. Plus I find that headlamps are annoying as heck when you have to speak to someone who shines it right in your face when they turn to talk to you. I don't want to be "that guy".

I want a hand held. It seems that all of the ones I have been looking at have all these different brightness modes that you have to cycle through. Maybe I am just old fashioned. Just want on on and off mode.

I'm willing to go the rechargeable route as well, like the 18650. But all I can find are the ones that have all the different modes. Maybe I am just being too picky. But it is an important tool. Even if I could find one that would keep the mode setting from one use to the next, that might work.  And candlepower forums is just a huge mess of data to sort through. That's the forum that got me frustrated enough to post here. 

Lol.  Candlepowerforums is like that for most people.

@NorthWind. Take a look at the Streamlight 88033 ProTac. It is has 3 different modes..one of which being a simple on)off mode.   It runs 250 lumens on 2 AA batteries.  Max runtime is around 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-ProTac-2AA-White-Led/dp/B003GXF9OA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=protac+streamlight+aa&qid=1596049537&sr=8-3

Signaling for help is a topic for flash light consideration. Power, run time and beam width come into play. If one does not have: functioning mobile device, satellite communicator, personal locator beacon, flare gun, rescue laser or radio, then set the beam width to spot and shine the light straight up for night time signalling. The light reflects off of particulates in the air. Works on land and water. Weather, cloud cover and vegetation can wreak havoc with the signaling. Use a signal mirror during the day ---- batteries not required.

OK. I just bought two ThruNite TN4A lights. Got free shipping and a coupon code for a 5% discount. These should do exactly what I am looking for. No ressing buttons repeatedly to change modes. It will remember what you had it set on last and default to that mode. Also has a nice firefly mode that will run for 80 days. And, if I really DID want to light something up, I will have 1150 lumens in my hand. Runs off of 4 AA batteries. 

Whew. That was a lot of work! 

I appreciate everyone's help. 

• Upvote 2

Nice find;

https://www.thrunite.com/tn4a/

It will run at 15 lumens for almost 4 days so you're covered for getting back to your car.  The other feature I like is the firefly setting should give you enough light to allow you to see something in your hand yet not bright enough to give away your location.

• Upvote 1