Flashlight recommendations?

NorthWind

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Dude.  You are on a buying spree.

Hide those credit card bills from the wife.

I won't disclose the ammo purchase(s) I made today.

She won't mind.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Earlier this year, I committed a huge rookie mistake while backpacking and got caught out in a torrential downpour with light fading.  I was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and didn't check my chest pack before we headed out.  I assumed!  It turns out, I had taken the flashlights out to put new batteries and never put them back in. It was a very long, dark, and wet night and I vowed that would never happen again.

Fast forward to today. I've gotten a new headlamp and flashlight to add to the arsenal. I've always used primary batteries but will try using rechargeable batteries in fair weather so a charger had to be gotten. They're not expensive so I'll give it a whirl.

This is my new protocol for going out in the woods. The two 4Sevens Mini (farthest to the right) from my old headlamp will now be in my chest pack as a backup. Each one weighs 1.2 ounce but will produce enough light (40 lumens) to last 8 hours. So, with both, 2.4 ounces will give me 16 hours of ample light.  I'll also carry separately in a backpack belt pouch a flashlight I would trust my life with. That will be the HDS or Malkoff (2nd and 3rd from  left).  They're something that can reliably provide light in any condition, even a torrential downpour. The old saying is that one is none and two is one. I'll always have three which is two. I like redundancy.

The new headlamp is a Zebralight H54c which is an AA format. I'll put it through the paces come early Spring and expect it to measure up. We'll see.

Here's the lineup of flashlights and new headlamp. Light is good!

Flashlights.thumb.jpg.1882f457ef5c9f72ce34eabdccca0a88.jpg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Earlier this year, I committed a huge rookie mistake while backpacking and got caught out in a torrential downpour with light fading.  I was with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and didn't check my chest pack before we headed out.  I assumed!  It turns out, I had taken the flashlights out to put new batteries and never put them back in. It was a very long, dark, and wet night and I vowed that would never happen again.

Fast forward to today. I've gotten a new headlamp and flashlight to add to the arsenal. I've always used primary batteries but will try using rechargeable batteries in fair weather so a charger had to be gotten. They're not expensive so I'll give it a whirl.

This is my new protocol for going out in the woods. The two 4Sevens Mini (farthest to the right) from my old headlamp will now be in my chest pack as a backup. Each one weighs .67 ounce but will produce enough light (40 lumens) to last 8 hours. So, with both, 1.34 ounces will give me 16 hours of ample light.  I'll also carry separately in a backpack belt pouch a flashlight I would trust my life with. That will be the HDS or Malkoff (2nd and 3rd from  left).  They're something that can reliably provide light in any condition, even a torrential downpour. The old saying is that one is none and two is one. I'll always have three which is two. I like redundancy.

The new headlamp is a Zebralight H54c which is an AA format. I'll put it through the paces come early Spring and expect it to measure up. We'll see.

Here's the lineup of flashlights and new headlamp. Light is good!

Flashlights.thumb.jpg.1882f457ef5c9f72ce34eabdccca0a88.jpg

What is the lumen output on your zebra light?

Like you, I carry a few lights.  Headlamp, small double A, a general purpose light, and a high output search light.  

If I am hiking a distance, I will go down to the headlamp, small double A, and usually the general purpose flashlight.  

I have been carrying a Klarus XT12S for a general purpose light, and either an Olight Warrior X Pro or a Sofirn Q8.

I usually carry 1 coleman light that uses 3 AAA batteries in a cartridge and 1 or 2 Streamlights that use a single AAA battery.   Sometimes a carry an even smaller Streamlight that uses 4 hearing aid batteries.    My audio recorders run on AAA as does the little air pump for my air mattress when I backpack.    The only thing I have that is AA instead of AAA is my GPS and I'm looking to replace it, it's older than dirt.

Not a big fan of head lamps.    That's why I have 6-8 and they all still work.  :)    Hey, at least they're AAA.   :)   It's nice to have a common power source that will fit everything in a pinch.

• Upvote 1

I usually carry only my Petzl headlamp and a glow stick, but I found a bike headlight while walking my dog and I may carry it, too. It's super bright and light. For charging my phone and Garmin, I carry a Powerfilm roll up solar panel and cords. 

28 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What is the lumen output on your zebra light?

It is in 18650 battery format. The main option:

H1  1,816      H2  1,035

M1    135      M2      61

L1         4       L2     1.4

Then there are two other options that can be customized any way from a choice of 12 lumen levels. The simple truth is I would use 283lm, 135lm, 61lm, 26lm, and 4lm almost all the time.

http:// zebralight.com/SC600Fc-Mk-IV-Plus-18650-XHP50-Floody-4000K-High-CRI-Flashlight_p_228.html

18 minutes ago, MIB said:

:)   It's nice to have a common power source that will fit everything in a pinch.

I agree. Mine have all been CR123 until just recently. Now I've added an 18650 and AA.  In all three formats, rechargeable will be used except for cold weather when I'll use primaries for both CR123 and AA.

14 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I usually carry only my Petzl headlamp and a glow stick, but I found a bike headlight while walking my dog and I may carry it, too. It's super bright and light. For charging my phone and Garmin, I carry a Powerfilm roll up solar panel and cords. 

You need a good flashlight.  That way you guys can start night investigations.  :D

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

I usually have 3 on me, one Petzl headlamp that I'll be replacing soon as the band is losing its elastic, Probably pick up something with a red light option. The Fenix LD22 I mentioned on pg1 is the excellent EDC and the streamlight TLR-1 is my emergency backup that I can pull off the rail should the need arise. I was looking at the 1000L Fenix FX-PD35TAC, that river site has 1 for 69.99 or I can buy a pack of 3 for 401.02-- tough call.

Edited by Kiwakwe
typo

3 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

I usually have 3 on me, one Petzl headlamp that I'll be replacing soon as the band is loosing its elastic, Probably pick up something with a red light option. The Fenix LD22 I mentioned on pg1 is the excellent EDC and the streamlight TLR-1 is my emergency backup that I can pull off the rail should the need arise. I was looking at the 1000L Fenix FX-PD35TAC, that river site has 1 for 69.99 or I can buy a pack of 3 for 401.02-- tough call.

I used to carry a Fenix PD35 before I got the Klarus.  I still carry it when I want a pocket friendly light. It's a great light.  

7 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

You need a good flashlight.  That way you guys can start night investigations.  :D

I am perfectly content to do night investigations from inside my truck 😎 Frankly, it's been pretty successful!

However, I did just buy a REAL backpacking sleeping bag and pad. My kid is in it, laying on the floor with the computer, trying it out, LOL! We may some day do an overnight and hike in. I do have a tiny Fenix and a Cree mini that I like. I just have to keep my pack weight down. Plus, I want my hands free and not be worried about dropping it.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I used to carry a Fenix PD35 before I got the Klarus.  I still carry it when I want a pocket friendly light. It's a great light.  

I like the Fenix! I see Klarus has a 3200LM XT11S, is that output for real?

Just now, Kiwakwe said:

I like the Fenix! I see Klarus has a 3200LM XT11S, is that output for real?

Usually the bigger names are close on claimed lumen output, but exaggerated on turbo runtimes.  Olight, Klarus, Fenix, Acebeam...they are all usually pretty accurate.  When you get into those no name Chinese lights, the lumen claims are usually false.

My next light is going to be the Fenix LR35R.  10,000 lumens.  I was going to get it for Christmas, but I bought an Olight Perun 2 in orange when I was half asleep...so that blew my flashlight budget for awhile.