Flashlight recommendations?

NorthWind

I just ordered the Red-light flashlight just for fun but could be useful back at camp. I also thought if a sasquatch can see IR light, maybe they are sensitive to a red-colored light. For $10, trying something new is worth it if it can call in our hairy friend.

https://sofirnlight.com/c01r-sst20-dr-660nm-deep-red-p0118.html

Also, ordered their 18650 headlamp. I'll compare it the quality of the Zebralight headlamp.  For $25, it's hard not to give it a go.

Edited by wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I just ordered the Red-light flashlight just for fun but could be useful back at camp. I also thought if a sasquatch can see IR light, maybe they are sensitive to a red-colored light. For $10, trying something new is worth it if it can call in our hairy friend.

https://sofirnlight.com/c01r-sst20-dr-660nm-deep-red-p0118.html

Also, ordered their 18650 headlamp. I'll compare it the quality of the Zebralight headlamp.  For $25, it's hard not to give it a go.

I have honestly been pleased with the quality of all of the Sofirn lights that I have purchased.  

They used to have another company named Thorfire that had pretty decent performance, but very basic fit and finish.  They phased Thorfire out and focused solely on Sofirn, which is a much higher quality light.  

I was unaware of their red light.  I wanted to pick one up, but all I could find was a crappy red/blue/green no name model on Amazon.  

That TK70 XHP70.2 is calling my name.  

5500 lumens, 2 x 26650 batteries, and a charger for 60 bucks?

I have the older Thorfire version of this light, and it's amazing.  

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that's a serious flamethrower. Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a thrower,  the Sofirn SF47T will cast a beam almost 2/3 of a mile.  It's good to have when you hear something crashing through the woods at night. You can spot it a long distance away.

https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sf47t-tactical-flashlight-1100-meters-long-throwing-torch-with-osram-25w-ledowered-by-2cs-of-21700-batteries-p0167.html

So many flashlights.......so little time!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

Yeah, that's a serious flamethrower. Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a thrower,  the Sofirn SF47T will cast a beam almost 2/3 of a mile.  It's good to have when you hear something crashing through the woods at night. You can spot it a long distance away.

https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sf47t-tactical-flashlight-1100-meters-long-throwing-torch-with-osram-25w-ledowered-by-2cs-of-21700-batteries-p0167.html

So many flashlights.......so little time!!

I love throwers.  

Just received some 18650 batteries (Sanyo 3500mAh, flat top) so I had a chance to fiddle with a new Zebralight SC600Fc.  I was not a believer before but am now. It's a great flashlight that will give you plenty of juice if you need brightness and will also provide significant run time. Medium, Level 2 is 66 lumens which should last for ~30 hours.  Crazy!

This model is 4500K and High CRI which provides a warm-colored light that I wanted. I think it provides a better light profile for color recognition than my 4Sevens Mini which is a cool white with a center spot. The ZL lens is frosted so the light is diffused without a hot spot.

Very pleased with it.  Have a 18650 headlamp en route from Sofirn so once it arrives I can compare the coloration and beam pattern with the ZL. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Just received some 18650 batteries (Sanyo 3500mAh, flat top) so I had a chance to fiddle with a new Zebralight SC600Fc.  I was not a believer before but am now. It's a great flashlight that will give you plenty of juice if you need brightness and will also provide significant run time. Medium, Level 2 is 66 lumens which should last for ~30 hours.  Crazy!

This model is 4500K and High CRI which provides a warm-colored light that I wanted. I think it provides a better light profile for color recognition than my 4Sevens Mini which is a cool white with a center spot. The ZL lens is frosted so the light is diffused without a hot spot.

Very pleased with it.  Have a 18650 headlamp en route from Sofirn so once it arrives I can compare the coloration and beam pattern with the ZL. 

I want to like warmer colored lights..I understand the advantages.  However, my first choice is always a cool white light.  I don't know why, but I will choose a cooler tint every time.  

Where did you get the batteries?

I got them from Zebralight.  You hear of knockoffs and I wasn't sure which is and isn't a reliable source.  ZL recommends that battery for their flashlight, and carries it for sale, so I went with that hoping I could rely on it being legit.

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

I got them from Zebralight.  You hear of knockoffs and I wasn't sure which is and isn't a reliable source.  ZL recommends that battery for their flashlight, and carries it for sale, so I went with that hoping I could rely on it being legit.

Zebra light is one of the brands that I have not tried yet, along with Acebeam.  I need to check them out.

Fenix, Klarus, Olight, and Sofirn have been my mainstays... although Olight is going the route of 'jewelry for men' right now...more interested in new colors and finishes rather than performance.  

• 3 weeks later...

@wiiawiwb

Ordered a Sofirn 1200 lumen headlamp.  Should have it today.  Runs on a single 18650 battery and us USB rechargable.

It has no red light option, but there have been times over the last months that I found myself wanting a more powerful headlamp.  

I expect that the build quality and claimed vs actual lumens will be top notch, much like Sofirns other recent offerings.

Congrats!  I have the SP40 and it is works well. Plenty bright. It was bought to complement a Zebralight AA-battery headlamp of much lower lumens.  The ZL will likely be used back at camp and the Sofirn on the trail doing night ops. 

It comes with a shorter tube so you can use either an 18350 or CR123a primary as well. It obviously wouldn't produce the higher lumens using an 18650 but that versatility is a real plus . 

One other feature is the USB port on the headlamp.  In very cold weather, lithium ion batteries don't work at their best. You could use, the short tube, remove any battery so it is nice an light, and run a USB cable from a power bank in your jacket or chest pack to the headlamp. You only have one light level which I think is around 200-250 lumens. Again, one other example of its versatility.

The only negative comment I have of both the ZL and Sofirn is the on/off switch. It should be on top of the headlamp rather than on the end. Now, you have to torque your arm around to get at it whereas if it was on top, you'd merely reach up and press down. Armytek headlamps have the on/off switch on top where it should be.

Let us know how you like it.

Edited by wiiawiwb

• 5 months later...

I've had this Gerber for 16-17 years. Not too bright but does the job of a task light well. It's heavy and built like a tank. I hadn't realized it was missing, usually stored it the Rover's lock box. I dug it out of the gravel drive today, right in the trackway. Thought it was a piece of black plastic. Cleaned off the mud, recharged the batteries and it's good to go, if a little scuffed from being driven over countless times including a propane delivery truck-- no lightweight. It's been out there at minimum 3 months probably more. I'm impressed.

IMG_7629.thumb.jpg.0d113421d44d1ca37866a0c32b01c3b7.jpg

My night vision device's display was waaaaay too bright and would just kill my eyes' natural night vision. Since it had no way to dim the display down to a reasonable level, I ordered some smoke and brown colored gel that is used by the studio lighting industry and cut pieces to fit the display. Works pretty well. 

I was thinking some red colored gel would be a simple way to change the beam color on your throwers. Since it's designed to go over hot lights, it won't melt, and the cost is super cheap. You can find sheets of it on Amazon or ebay.

My lights right now are a ThruNite TN4A, and a Fenix TK16, which is super bright on turbo, and tiny. The little Fenix is like a mini light saber, but I LOVE the firefly mode on the ThruNite.

• 4 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 6:02 AM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@wiiawiwb

You are sending him down the rabbit hole with Candlepower Forums! :lol:

Here's another one that is equally as technical but easier on the wallet.

http://budgetlightforum.com/

We are in the Silver Age of flashlights right now...the options are endless.  

I am the wrong one to address this topic.  I am always trying to attain more lumens.  I am currently using an Olight Warrior X Pro, but might change over to that new Klarus.

@NorthWind I haven't paid much attention to AA lights in a long time.  Let me do a little research and see what is out there.  

Hi I am choosing between KLARUS XT11GT Pro 2200 Lumens and Olight Warrior X 3 2500 lumen as a Christmas gift, both now on Christmas sale, price is similar. (The point is with Warrior X 3, I can get extra white and red smaller flashlight and I like the beautiful color). They mentioned the Olight X pro as a comparison, so I think the  Warrior X 3 is upgraded from the Olight Warrior X Pro which you were using before. I would like to know the reason you change over to Kalrus? As @Northwind said all the options so danged time consuming. I suppose you did a lot of research. Hope get some suggestions from you. Thank you.

https://www.olightstore.com/warrior-x-3-bundle-1.html 

• Upvote 2