Flashlight recommendations?

NorthWind

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Usually the bigger names are close on claimed lumen output, but exaggerated on turbo runtimes.  Olight, Klarus, Fenix, Acebeam...they are all usually pretty accurate.  When you get into those no name Chinese lights, the lumen claims are usually false.

My next light is going to be the Fenix LR35R.  10,000 lumens.  I was going to get it for Christmas, but I bought an Olight Perun 2 in orange when I was half asleep...so that blew my flashlight budget for awhile.

10,000 LM , that's insane!

4 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

10,000 LM , that's insane!

Yeah, but the Perun 2 matched my carry piece...

A fella has to accessorize.

KIMG1177.JPG

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Yeah, but the Perun 2 matched my carry piece...

A fella has to accessorize.

No doubt, how could one resist that color scheme?!? I hadn't noticed the mag "window" on the glocks, is that what I'm seeing?

1 minute ago, Kiwakwe said:

No doubt, how could one resist that color scheme?!? I hadn't noticed the mag "window" on the glocks, is that what I'm seeing?

A see through window, like with the P-Mags?  Mine are just standard mags.  

The color scheme is 🔥.  Multicam black and orange is the jam.   

7 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

A see through window, like with the P-Mags?  Mine are just standard mags.  

The color scheme is 🔥.  Multicam black and orange is the jam.   

Yeah, the orange I'm seeing at the base of the trigger guard, that's magazine right? What's the purpose?

MC B&O--it's stylin Halloween jam for Hellbent Hollers. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Yeah, the orange I'm seeing at the base of the trigger guard, that's magazine right? What's the purpose?

MC B&O--it's stylin Halloween jam for Hellbent Hollers. 

Oh, I see what you mean.

That's the magazine release.  It's a drop in parts kit from NDZ Performance.

• Like 1

Even if you only carry one "big" light, you need one more smaller one so you can see to change batteries in the big one.   There's something sort of .. ironic? moronic? .. about not being able to see to work on your flashlight.   (Don't ask the circumstances I figured that out under.  It wouldn't go well for me. :))   Another reason for a 2nd light, even a small one, is to leave it turned on in your tent when you have to go out in the middle of the night to, um, "answer the call of nature".    It sucks to not be able to find your tent afterwards.   (Don't ask about that, either. :))   Having the tent lit up a bit can be very handy.  

This discussion made me think back to older days.  I used to pack a 4-D mag light backpacking.   No wonder that pack used to be so heavy.  

MIB

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MIB said:

Even if you only carry one "big" light, you need one more smaller one so you can see to change batteries in the big one.   There's something sort of .. ironic? moronic? .. about not being able to see to work on your flashlight.   (Don't ask the circumstances I figured that out under.  It wouldn't go well for me. :))   Another reason for a 2nd light, even a small one, is to leave it turned on in your tent when you have to go out in the middle of the night to, um, "answer the call of nature".    It sucks to not be able to find your tent afterwards.   (Don't ask about that, either. :))   Having the tent lit up a bit can be very handy.  

This discussion made me think back to older days.  I used to pack a 4-D mag light backpacking.   No wonder that pack used to be so heavy.  

MIB

At least if you ran into an ill tempered Sasquatch, you could easily bludgeon him to death.  

Wait, so you are saying I need to carry more than the light on my cell phone.  Honestly never considered what would happen if I got caught hiking after dark.  Not kidding.

The folks over at candlepowerforums talk about a budget-minded company called Sofirn. They have flashlights that are worth a look at. Here is one that is available for $15.99 that comes with the flashlight, charger, and a 14500 battery. It has 5 brightness levels and 80lms for over 9 hours:

https://sofirnlight.com/sp10s-lh351d-5000k-without-battery-p0045.html

For $14.99 you'll get the AA non-chargeable version with slightly shorter run time and lower lumens with no battery. Still, 55lms for nearly 9 hours.

Here is an 18650 (rechargeable) flashlight for $21.99 designed for diving and is waterproof to 70 meters. Perfect for outdoor use. 5 brightness levels, max 820 lumens. You'd have to pickup a charger and 18650 battery but you can a get charger for $24 and buy the battery from Sofirn for that flashlight for $4.

https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sd02a-diving-flashlight-super-bright-820-lumens-scuba-torch-using-cree-xpl-3000k-led-bulb-underwater-light-waterproof-for-diving-camping-hiking-p0157.html

In an informal poll, candlepowerforums listed the Sofirn C01 (AAA) flashlight as their favorite/best flashlight for 2020.

Edited by wiiawiwb

34 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

as their favorite/best flashlight for 2020

Best for 2020 is not a great recommendation.   I'm just happy with "did not die in 2020".   Egad ... what a year.

Flashlights are a compromise ... brightness vs battery life.    It's not necessarily a fixed line, some better lights offer more of both but you pay for that.   For a backpacker, sometimes cutting weight is more important than maximizing brightness or battery life.   You learn to do what you need to do in the daylight so you don't have to use the flashlight as much.    Still, some places are so darn hot during the day, night hiking is a more attractive option.

One of the nicest / lightest / brightest headlamps I know of recharges by USB, so if you carry a solar / USB charger for phone, camera, etc, that might be a direction to consider as well.

MIB

I agree that there is always a compromise. What the 18650 does bring to the table is 60 lumens for 25-30 hours. That's 50% brighter and a 50% longer run time than the two 4Sevens Minis together.  Granted, there will be a weight penalty.

The brightness isn't what I'm interested in. It's the run time. Instead of hot days, cold nights are more of a concern for me as they can really draw from a battery especially rechargeable ones. That's why I'll continue to use my HDS, Malkoff, and Minis in late Fall and early winter as they take CR123 primaries.

Great minds think alike...earlier in the week I ordered the Nitecore UMS2 charger because it can charge 21700s, which the D2 can't (I don't have any 21700 flashlights yet but may in the future), and because it uses a USB charger.

I've learned from my near calamity this summer and will be sure to bring 3 flashlights with extra batteries that are fully charged.

12 hours ago, MIB said:

(Don't ask the circumstances I figured that out under.  It wouldn't go well for me. :)......It sucks to not be able to find your tent afterwards.   (Don't ask about that, either. :))

LMAO! This kind of humor (although at the time it may have NOT been so humorous?) is why being on this Forum is so enjoyable. Okay, that said, I won't ask ;)

Edited by hiflier

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

The folks over at candlepowerforums talk about a budget-minded company called Sofirn. They have flashlights that are worth a look at. Here is one that is available for $15.99 that comes with the flashlight, charger, and a 14500 battery. It has 5 brightness levels and 80lms for over 9 hours:

https://sofirnlight.com/sp10s-lh351d-5000k-without-battery-p0045.html

For $14.99 you'll get the AA non-chargeable version with slightly shorter run time and lower lumens with no battery. Still, 55lms for nearly 9 hours.

Here is an 18650 (rechargeable) flashlight for $21.99 designed for diving and is waterproof to 70 meters. Perfect for outdoor use. 5 brightness levels, max 820 lumens. You'd have to pickup a charger and 18650 battery but you can a get charger for $24 and buy the battery from Sofirn for that flashlight for $4.

https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sd02a-diving-flashlight-super-bright-820-lumens-scuba-torch-using-cree-xpl-3000k-led-bulb-underwater-light-waterproof-for-diving-camping-hiking-p0157.html

In an informal poll, candlepowerforums listed the Sofirn C01 (AAA) flashlight as their favorite/best flashlight for 2020.

The Sofirn Q8 is a beer can light powered up four 18650 batteries.  It's a little heavy, but it's bombproof and can give out 5,000 lumens.  I have yet to have it die on me.  I would rank the build quality as approaching the major brands.  

It even has a tripod mount on the bottom.  I have never had reason to use it, but it's pretty cool.  

I am surprised that Candle Power is big on Sofirn.  That was a Budgetlightsforum.com favored brand.  The Q8 and a few other lights are made with input from their flashlight community.  

I picked up a Sofirn SP31 V2.0 for my girlfriend's father.  

1200 lumens for over 2 hours.  I got the light, charger, and a surprisingly nice 18650 battery for just under $30 on sale.  The build quality is superb for the price... probably ranking slightly below that of Fenix, but for a fraction of the price.  

Anyone looking for an affordable general purpose flashlight, you could do a lot worse.  It's 37 bucks now, but do go on sale occasionally.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FKJDH93?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title