Flashlight recommendations?

NorthWind

16 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'm fond of my Surefire Aviator. A white primary beam, with a gentle, red illumination as an instant alternative. The red to maintain your natural night vision, without dazzling yourself.

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/aviator/

250 lumens?

Man, I really wish that there was an American company churning out flashlights comparable to the Chicoms.  I would buy it in a minute.  I have a Surefire and it's bombproof...but Olight and Klarus have surpassed them in runtime and brightness...and they have matched them in build quality with these last couple of generations.

Here is a flashlight that twice has allowed me to find red eyeshine. It is a Tiablo A-9 with and an aspheric lens.  The special lens concentrates the beam so is very tight and exceedingly bright.

There was a review done on candlepowerforums and pictures were made of various beamshots.  Take a look halfway down page one and you will see a picture, taken on a road, of the beamshot both normal and high. It is the picture that says, "TIABLO A9 ASPHERIC". Note the picture above it is the flashlight without the aspheric lens. What a difference.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?292154-Tiablo-A9-(XP-G-R5)-Special-Edition-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

Edited by wiiawiwb

My grandfather taught me how to see eyeshine at night when I was but a lad. Hold the flashlight against your temple and let it move with your head as you turn your head. The light reflects straight back to your eyes. Works great. I imagine it would work the same way if you were using a headlamp, too.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:18 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

250 lumens?........

My current headlamp; 550 lumens. My only complaint is turning it on and off by feel. I got used to a previous model, and I'm having a tough time readjusting to this one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-by-princeton-tec-alaskan-guide-xp-green-headlamp?WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=4558925&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBYEKWyiFMt1fg5kbv468tEHxSKR57m4pydTFqEQ9tiqLMzEl0ZWiYRoCscIQAvD_BwE

I simply can't live in the woods now without hands free light. Moreover, I installed small rails on my shotguns and lever action carbines for mounted 1000 lumen Streamlights. I carry two of those units, so at night one is mounted on the Glock 20 in the tent, and the other stays mounted on the carbine or shotgun.

874A8B6F-A2CC-4F3C-B55D-9A612D64A408.jpeg

I also just got a cheap rail mounted 1000 lumen light that I just got for Veronica, my AR. Mounted it last night. Sheesh, why didn't I do that sooner! Now Veronica has a light, a red dot with a laser, and a 60 round double stack mag not much longer than her standard 30. 

Also, a barrel clamp light mount should be arriving for Betty, my Winchester 1300 Defender as well (mounts on the mag tube below the barrel).  Yes, Betty and Veronica, for those of you old enough to know. 

And, since I am here, I wanted to let folks know something that I discovered on eBay recently that I like. This is probably common knowledge to most of you, but thought I'd share. When you do a search for an item, you can specify "USA Only" to eliminate all the listings that are from China (and take forever to ship). There is a little checkbox off to the left side you can click. Still too often the stuff you get is made in China, but it helps to trim down your options a bit. I like to buy Amercan if I can. 

• Upvote 1

Oh oh oh. I need links to where I can find those flashlight mounts....that's awesome and I've not seen them before....but it's been 3-4 years since I've been to a gun show.

46 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

.......Yes, Betty and Veronica, for those of you old enough to know........

:sarcastic:LOL! Another guy who gives his guns names! There aren't many of us out there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

My current headlamp; 550 lumens. My only complaint is turning it on and off by feel. I got used to a previous model, and I'm having a tough time readjusting to this one.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-by-princeton-tec-alaskan-guide-xp-green-headlamp?WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=4558925&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwjqT5BRAPEiwAJlBuBYEKWyiFMt1fg5kbv468tEHxSKR57m4pydTFqEQ9tiqLMzEl0ZWiYRoCscIQAvD_BwE

I simply can't live in the woods now without hands free light. Moreover, I installed small rails on my shotguns and lever action carbines for mounted 1000 lumen Streamlights. I carry two of those units, so at night one is mounted on the Glock 20 in the tent, and the other stays mounted on the carbine or shotgun.

874A8B6F-A2CC-4F3C-B55D-9A612D64A408.jpeg

I am currently using a 400 lumen Black Diamond, but want to go brighter.  

Once you use a headlamp in the woods, it is difficult to go without.  

I have a 1350 lumen Olight Baldr on my Glock 20.  It's a bit large, but I like the beam and the throw.  

16 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Oh oh oh. I need links to where I can find those flashlight mounts....that's awesome and I've not seen them before....but it's been 3-4 years since I've been to a gun show.

Here's one. There are lots of others on eBay too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rifle-Barrel-Mount-Pistol-Shotgun-Flashlight-Scope-Laser-Tube-Clamp-Gun-Adapter/254602211230?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

On 8/4/2020 at 8:27 AM, NatFoot said:

Oh oh oh. I need links to where I can find those flashlight mounts....that's awesome and I've not seen them before...

Google up "light rail" and the model of your weapon. Look at the results as images instead if "all". It makes the research easier.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, NatFoot said:

Bought those too.

Dude.  You are on a buying spree.

Hide those credit card bills from the wife.