How close would you get?

Moonface

If a BF was standing there passively (not showing any aggression but not moving away) what do you think would be the minimum distance between you and the BF that you'd be comfortable with?

• Downvote 1

If i had a gun big enough to stop a charge? 10 yards (30 feet). Reports suggest I'd have about two seconds to hopefully be the last one standing- IF I didn't freeze.  :rock: Without any means of defense? Any distance would find me hoping I wouldn't be seen as a threat.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Twist said:

No closer than I’d need to be for positive identification that’s for sure

Ah. An ambiguous ambiguity. Sorry, I always look for an opportunity to practice my alliteration skills ;)

Well I trust my vision having had LASIK eye surgery but I’m still not sure if BF is not just naturally blurry.   One may be lead to believe so based on pics.  That being considered I’m not sure how close I need to be!  :D

• Haha 1

A human can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds over level ground to attack.

Given that Sasquatch is often reported as possessing almost supernatural speed, I would assume that they could cover ground much quicker and over rougher terrain...if they decide to attack you.

That being said, I am going to try and get as close as possible in order to attempt to obtain clear video.  The reward outweighs the risk in this case.

• Upvote 3

Admin
11 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

A human can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds over level ground to attack.

Beat me to it. I was going to say that hiflier's 10 yards and two seconds were extremely optimistic.

12 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Given that Sasquatch is often reported as possessing almost supernatural speed, I would assume that they could cover ground much quicker and over rougher terrain...if they decide to attack you.

That being said, I am going to try and get as close as possible in order to attempt to obtain clear video.  The reward outweighs the risk in this case.

Hope your phone/camera/video equipment is not damaged to the point that we cannot get the video off of it when the search party finds it out in the woods; it will be the greatest found footage yet!

(think Michigan dogman video)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, VAfooter said:

Beat me to it. I was going to say that hiflier's 10 yards and two seconds were extremely optimistic.

Hope your phone/camera/video equipment is not damaged to the point that we cannot get the video off of it when the search party finds it out in the woods; it will be the greatest found footage yet!

(think Michigan dogman video)

Lol.  Trust me.  I have thought about that...

I remember an interview with Josh Gates several years ago.  Someone asked him what would happen if they actually had a close encounter with one of the things that they usually go out hunting for.  He said basically the same thing, that he hoped that some of the equipment survived with usable footage... because he and the crew would probably be dead. 

May be the biggest mistake that I ever made, but I would attempt to get as close as possible in order to get clear footage.  At least I would like to think that I would.  I had a sighting that terrified me as a kid, one that I am still not totally certain was real or just a waking dream.  

I've seen shadows and shapes running through the darkness since I have been doing this as an adult.  Found prints and glyphs, heard samurai chatter, other weird stuff...but no face to face sighting. 

Who knows?  When the moment comes I might $@### my pants and haul butt out of the woods, never to return.  I am going to give it a shot if the opportunity presents itself.  Figuratively and maybe even literally.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Be sure to leave a DNA sample with relatives.  Maybe wear Depends in the X-large capacity.  Pre set your focus to 30'.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Lol.  I may be in the minority here, but if I was planning on running as soon as I saw one...I wouldn't go out in the first place.  Especially with just one other person at night.  

Again, I might be singing a different tune when it happens, but that's the plan at least.

It's weird.  I am not particularly brave.  You couldn't convince me to skydive and it would be difficult to get me into a shark cage.  But, the thrill and lure if the unknown in this case makes it worth the risk.

If course, the particulars of the encounter would dictate my response.  We were basically run out of the woods the first time we casually went out.  I saw a face disappear into the trees about 3/4 of the way through the outing, but it was about 50 feet away and it was quick.  I honestly wasn't prepared for the other things that happened at that time though.... possible infrasound, equipment failures, rocks and sticks being thrown at us, strange voices.  Who knows?  It might not have even been Bigfoot related.  That patch of woods might very well be haunted.

Now however?  If it was just a single creature standing there with none of the usual accompanying craziness?  Yeah, I would try to get close enough to get some decent footage. Not going to walk up and touch it.  But, I would move towards it with the intent to film it.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Lol.  I may be in the minority here, but if I was planning on running as soon as I saw one...I wouldn't go out in the first place.  Especially with just one other person at night.

The solution is simple, grab the cameras, shoot your friend in the foot, and vamoose ;)

• Haha 1

BFF Patron

I don't know about my personal minimum but do know from one encounter where I was trying to get a BF to break cover that about 100 yards was that bigfoot's own minimum distance.    That is the point that it growled at me,  and I decided to back out.   I suspect if I saw an adult male at the same distance I would not have attempted to close on it.   9 feet of adult BF has to be scary.     In that case, unknown to me,  another had flanked me and was closing on me from behind.   When the one in front growled,   the one behind me broke off a tree.  I fully believe that it is not the one you see that will get you,  it might be one behind you.     Of course accidently getting closer likely led to me getting zapped with infrasound during another encounter.     From the depression of vegetation,  next to a log,   I was within 10 yards of that one.  It was probably good that I did not see that one.    In two steps  it could have grabbed me.    That is rule one in bigfoot research;    be careful what you wish for.      I would really prefer to be looking through a spotting scope at a BF 200 yards away that does not know I am there.    For those that expect to bring down a charging BF with a weapon,    800 or 900 lbs of charging bigfoot would chew up more distance to fall than a similar weight bear just because of leg length.   Those that have downed a charging bear probably have the best practice for BF.

• Upvote 2

Female is the candidate for a close encounter of the hairy kind. It is the estrogen factor. 

You do not need to be the fastest runner, just do not be the slowest.

Edited by Catmandoo
grammar