How close would you get?

Moonface

1 hour ago, Madison5716 said:

Because my truck hasn't been driven much the last few weeks, the dang battery is dead. Gotta tow it to the shop Friday. 

Jumper cables?  Towing for a dead battery seems extreme.  I keep a jump starter pack in my 4Runner that also has an air compressor, LED light, and ports for charging my cell phone.  It was like $60 on Amazon and works pretty well.

Regarding BF and group behavior, my buddy related his story of the howls he heard over by Granite Falls while hiking at night, then heard rock throws coming from a different direction, so he assumed there were more than one and they were working together to get him and his wife to leave.

10 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I'm thinking that like Albert Ostman, if a randy female bigfoot were to spy our own Huntsman in the woods, that chemical chemistry would occur in a heartbeat. She would carry Hunts over her shoulder to her lair, where they would become very close.

Cigarettes afterwards. JMHO

Or he would carry her over his shoulder...

I have read his posts on the subject.  

9 months later, there would be sightings of slightly shorter, slightly hairier, slightly more foul tempered Sasquatch.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

.......chemical chemistry.....

HAH! Good one. Right out of the Department of Redundancy Department :)

59 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

9 months later, there would be sightings of slightly shorter, slightly hairier, slightly more foul tempered Sasquatch.

.....and who had a propensity for chasing wabbits ;)

Edited by hiflier
  • Haha 1

BFF Patron
9 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Regarding BF and group behavior, my buddy related his story of the howls he heard over by Granite Falls while hiking at night, then heard rock throws coming from a different direction, so he assumed there were more than one and they were working together to get him and his wife to leave.

I keep hearing stories about the aggressive nature of the BF in the Granite Falls area.     Some people have been chased out of the woods there.     If they are aggressive enough to do that,   they might also show themselves in the process.   Even though I live in WA that area is quite a ways away and I would not want to do solo research in an area with aggressive BF..    If anyone wants to conduct an expedition in that area contact me.   

Yes, perhaps pointing was not the right thing to do. I wasn't doing it for anyone but the camera, since I know Madison couldn't see me. I will remember that in the future. Hey, I am learning! It was my first time with these things in view. It was a rush for sure!

In my youth, I was always an adrenaline junkie. I did a lot of technical mountain / ice climbing, scuba (including night dives and cave dives), free-climbing, ultralight flying, and even bungee jumping. Shark cage diving is still something that I really want to do. The great white shark is one of the most awesome animals on the planet! Anyway, I loved being able to get my head over fear. I agree that fear is good, but one cannot let that fear be turned into panic, EVER. You have to get your mind over the fear, and use the heightened senses that it brings to your advantage. That takes practice and training, and is not easy to do. You have to know yourself. I have seen people panic and fall because of it while rock climbing on a ledge that was only three feet off of the ground. Panic is a killer. And when you are safe and sound and the adrenaline wears off, boy, what a heavy sleep!

Personally .. I have no arbitrary limit to how close I'd get.   I've thought this through a number of times.   If I'm looking at a BF looking at me looking at the BF .. etc .. and both aware of it, nobody running off screaming or getting hostile, I'd start with a single step forward, then wait 'n' try to signal it to do the same.    It's going to be a serious gut check for both of us, an exercise in managing fear, but if we can do it ... I have a dream.   I'd like to sit on a log with a BF, take off my shoes, and compare foot anatomy.   And if allowed, take pictures of feet and hands.   It ain't likely but if the chance comes up ... nothing worth doing is without some risk.

MIB

• Confused 1

BFF Patron

I wonder if BF has figured out something is going on with humans now.    Few in the woods,   wearing masks,  no one camping.   It is entirely possible in my opinion that they distanced themselves from humans when the European colonists arrived with their diseases.   Many NA tribes have oral histories of trading with BF.  That likely quit when Europeans showed up.   Hopefully they do not avoid us even more now than they did.   

Edited by SWWASAS

All of our bigfooty forests are on fire.  I hope they got somewhere safe.  I don't know if we'll have a bigfooting season this year at our regular muddy lakes.  Might have to venture further.  I'm wondering how they would react to being pushed out of their home ranges and into someone else's. They either had to move way in on Eugene or way out towards the top of the Cascades and Bend, with the locations of all these fires in the last week.  Hmmm....

25 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

All of our bigfooty forests are on fire.  I hope they got somewhere safe.  I don't know if we'll have a bigfooting season this year at our regular muddy lakes.  Might have to venture further.  I'm wondering how they would react to being pushed out of their home ranges and into someone else's. They either had to move way in on Eugene or way out towards the top of the Cascades and Bend, with the locations of all these fires in the last week.  Hmmm....

Read Devolution by Max Brooks to get an idea of what might happen if they were driven out of their usual range by natural disaster.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I wonder if BF has figured out something is going on with humans now.    Few in the woods,   wearing masks,  no one camping.   It is entirely possible in my opinion that they distanced themselves from humans when the European colonists arrived with their diseases.   Many NA tribes have oral histories of trading with BF.  That likely quit when Europeans showed up.   Hopefully they do not avoid us even more now than they did.   

Our parks and wooded areas are overrun right now with people... especially from out of the region.  

The area where we were routinely getting activity that was always deserted is packed right now.  People drinking and camping everywhere.

I wonder what effect that will have in the short and long term.