How close would you get?

Moonface

17 minutes ago, JKH said:

From what I've heard, they're almost never alone and in constant communication with each other.

@BlackRockBigfoot's point is....how would anyone ever know that? Especially to the point to say "almost never" or almost anything for that matter.

Ok, "almost never" may be exaggerating a bit. My point is that there are people who know more than others about them and can confidently say many things about their behaviors. I could list familiar names, but I'm sure anyone can find out for themselves.

From BFRO:

"Despite the rare observations of sasquatch groups, they appear to have more social cohesion than is generally assumed, moving at times in a group that suggests an extended family. Under undisturbed circumstances, the young play with each other and around and on the adults, and sometimes small groups forage together. Young ones are allowed to explore and be potentially visible in a context where the adults stay out of view. Adults seem remarkably indulgent of the infants, tolerating on one occasion an infant’s temper tantrum without intervention. In a totally relaxed setting, the adults spend substantial time grooming each other. On a few occasions, two or more sasquatches were observed wrestling with each other with intermissions for rest. It appears that older siblings, or at least juvenile animals, sometimes care for younger ones. The need for large amounts of food for any one animal may lead to a fusion - fission type of social organization, in which individuals separate to forage and come together for social activities."

One example:

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=7827

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 2

Admin
1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What are we basing this assumption on?

I saw it on the Internet!

I have read of cases where folks were concentrating on one BF and then realizing (through sound or other means) that there were other(s) nearby, especially in areas conducive to providing cover and concealment. They never saw them, only knew that they were there.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2020 at 4:45 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Was there any sense of flight during that time or did the wonderment of it all triumph throughout?

You mean, did I want to get out of there?  Well, no.  Not initially, while they were there watching us watching them.  I was fascinated.  Like I said, I had a sense of security by standing next to my open car door.  It's when they DISAPPEARED and were no longer on the FLIR that we decided they could be anywhere and we should be somewhere else.  I tried looking to see if they were belly crawling to get closer, but I didn't see anything.  I think they just bailed.  So did we!

On 9/7/2020 at 5:48 AM, hiflier said:

Give them time, give them space and leave it to them to make all the moves. Obviously there's some healthy curiosity present there- on BOTH sides of these meetings.

Yes, I think your chances improve if you give them all the advantages.  As scary as that is, I think it makes sense and it worked.  I think they bugged out when NorthWind pointed at them - and I think they realized that WE COULD SEE THEM IN THE DARK. That's when they left.  Up to that point, I think they were actually moving in a bit closer.  You can see in our video that originally they were behind the trees, and I think they moved in front of them and their signatures became brighter. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, JKH said:

they appear to have more social cohesion than is generally assumed

We observed two.  And the prints we find are of a family of three.  These two areas are 100 miles apart. 

On 9/7/2020 at 4:45 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Now that you experienced that, knowing the bigfoots behaved as expected, would any fear be present if the two of you are a quarter or half mile from your car the next time?

I cannot bet that the next bigfoot would behave as expected, so each encounter possibility would have to be taken individually.  I don't know.  We went out last night in the dark to a place where I have encountered them twice (my belief is that they were bigfoots). I would have been scared spitless if we had seen one on the FLIR; but I went anyway and would do so again.  We did see eyeshine across the river, but it could have been anything.  We frequently follow game trails, so yeah, running into one far away from our vehicles is always possible.  I'd be scared, but there's an adrenaline rush to it too, honestly.  I enjoy it.

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

Way to go Madison and NorthWind. The two of you are out there doing what all of us would like do and experiencing what few have--and I'm not one of them.  I really enjoy your adventures.

BFF Patron

I was thinking about the dynamics of encounters.    I don't think I have ever heard anyone mention it but when the family group of BF was in my research area the dynamics took a big shift then the BF realized that I knew they were around.   I was trying to think of when that happened and it must have happened when I started talking to them.  Before then, they might have assumed that I heard something but did not know what it was.    The one that most interacted I assumed to be a playful nearly grown juvenile by the size of the footprints.    That is the one that likely left the stick and rock glyph on a stump for me and had thrown stuff at me before that.   When I started talking to them and actively trying to get them to break cover,   things did not get friendlier but just the opposite.        I imagine that they felt like I was hunting them,   although I never carried more than a handgun.   I guess what I am saying is things are different when they assume you do not know they are there.    My biggest objective was to try to get pictures or a video.   They really do not want that to happen or be seen for that matter.    Many have mentioned it but the advice to pretend or actually do something else than look for them is probably a very good tactic.    As a predator they know what hunting is and do not like to be the prey.  

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I'd be scared, but there's an adrenaline rush to it too, honestly.  I enjoy it.

@Madison5716

That adrenaline rush feels good, Right ! I love it too and miss it. It makes you know that you are alive.  Fear is good since that fear will keep you alive. It is when you loose that fear that you should pull your self out of the woods and stop searching for these creatures. Fear is healthy. So is respect for them just like any other wild animal out in the wilderness.

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

As a predator they know what hunting is and do not like to be the prey.  

Great advice!

I'm very sad to say that a third of the places where we go bigfooting are on fire. The entire McKenzie River corridor is on fire 🔥 and there are mandatory evacuations in all the pretty little towns halfway to Bend. Our trackmakers may be in trouble. One friend had already lost her house and two more have evacuated. The air quality is rated 417 out of 300 possible points, in the maroon category.  Our sky is orange and the ash is falling like hazy snow.

This is from my front yard.

20200908_101623.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

I think they bugged out when NorthWind pointed at them - and I think they realized that WE COULD SEE THEM IN THE DARK.

Hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

4 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

....."Give them time, give them space and leave it to them to make all the moves"....hiflier

Pointing at them kinda falls under the category bolded and underlined? It has been mentioned before that they might not know that we can't see in the dark. Keeping them thinking that even with out thermal image capability is probably the best approach. If there is a next time, and I certainly hope there IS :) then any gestures aimed in their direction could be best avoided. This isn't a critique towards Northwind because I more than likely would have done the same thing. Lesson learned? Maybe pointing meant nothing to them and next time if they show up you'll know that your "cover" hasn't been blown and that you can still pretend you can't see them.

I'm thinking that like Albert Ostman, if a randy female bigfoot were to spy our own Huntsman in the woods, that chemical chemistry would occur in a heartbeat. She would carry Hunts over her shoulder to her lair, where they would become very close.

Cigarettes afterwards. JMHO

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

Pointing at them kinda falls under the category bolded and underlined? It has been mentioned before that they might not know that we can't see in the dark. Keeping them thinking that even with out thermal image capability is probably the best approach. If there is a next time, and I certainly hope there IS :) then any gestures aimed in their direction could be best avoided. This isn't a critique towards Northwind because I more than likely would have done the same thing. Lesson learned? Maybe pointing meant nothing to them and next time if they show up you'll know that your "cover" hasn't been blown and that you can still pretend you can't see them.

The other side to this of one pointing at them is: they may have been shot at once and this could be why they boogied out of there. Gesters can mean allot to them and if there was no shots followed through with the pointing ten they might understand that there was no harm towards them. The thing is that once a person has been visiting an area for awhile and they keep going to this same area they keep a watch full eye. By this I mean they tend to watch that person or persons to see how they are. Like us we try to get a feel or sense how people might be when we first meet them. Well they are the same way and try to gain some type of trust of some that is investigating them. Sure they can harm you but why if you mean them no harm. They have already been able to get a sense on how you are. They can sense your fear and will stay back until you start to get comfortable. That is the hard part. But do not push it or they may push back. You two ( Madison and Northwind) have gone a long way with these creatures. Take the progress slowly.

Madison 

That picture of the fire looks bad. It is un believable on what is happening out west. I pray that all goes well.

4 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Fear is healthy.

Fear is never boring.

3 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

Our sky is orange and the ash is falling like hazy snow.

Ash particulates will clog the intake air filter on your vehicle. Reduce driving and or change the air filter frequently. 

We're breathing that Wa. smoke here in the Fraser Valley, our air quality reading this evening is 11, on a scale the supposedly tops out at 10! At 3 this afternoon, the mountains surrounding my town were clear and the sky was blue; by 4 I couldn't see the nearest mountains, just 5 km away.