How close would you get?

Moonface

BFF Patron
Just now, SWWASAS said:

I don't know about my personal minimum but do know from one encounter where I was trying to get a BF to break cover that about 100 yards was that bigfoot's own minimum distance.    That is the point that it growled at me,  and I decided to back out.   I suspect if I saw an adult male at the same distance I would not have attempted to close on it.   9 feet of adult BF has to be scary.     In that case, unknown to me,  another had flanked me and was closing on me from behind.   When the one in front growled,   the one behind me broke off a tree.  I fully believe that it is not the one you see that will get you,  it might be one behind you.     Of course accidently getting closer likely led to me getting zapped with infrasound during another encounter.     From the depression of vegetation,  next to a log,   I was within 10 yards of that one.  It was probably good that I did not see that one.    In two steps  it could have grabbed me.    That is rule one in bigfoot research;    be careful what you wish for.      I would really prefer to be looking through a spotting scope at a BF 200 yards away that does not know I am there.    For those that expect to bring down a charging BF with a weapon,    800 or 900 lbs of charging bigfoot would chew up more distance to fall than a similar weight bear just because of leg length.   Those that have downed a charging bear probably have the best practice for BF.  Of course if you simply display a camera, the BF will walk or run away.  

9 hours ago, Moonface said:

If a BF was standing there passively (not showing any aggression but not moving away) what do you think would be the minimum distance between you and the BF that you'd be comfortable with?

The distance in which I saw them, whatever that may be.  I doubt I would approach but would probably stand still and observe and maybe click a couple of photos if the thought occurred to me.  I certainly would not run away.  After a short while observing I would simply walk away if it stayed there.  If I happened to stumble across one or more in very close proximity I may sit down as that seems to help put them at ease.  If they are going to get me, they are going to get me no matter what I do.  I would not shoot one in my area as they know where I live and would probably retaliate.

6 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

A human can cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds over level ground to attack.

Given that Sasquatch is often reported as possessing almost supernatural speed, I would assume that they could cover ground much quicker and over rougher terrain...if they decide to attack you.

That being said, I am going to try and get as close as possible in order to attempt to obtain clear video.  The reward outweighs the risk in this case.

I suspect that as soon as BF saw your camera he'd use some of that "almost supernatural speed" to hightail it out of there!

1 hour ago, Catmandoo said:

Female is the candidate for a close encounter of the hairy kind. It is the estrogen factor. 

You do not need to be the fastest runner, just do not be the slowest.

This much is true.

When I have gone out alone, I have had exactly zero activity.  I may have seen possible signs of previous activity, like possible prints, but nothing else. I go out with Jessi and it's a completely different story.  

Just now, picman77 said:

I suspect that as soon as BF saw your camera he'd use some of that "almost supernatural speed" to hightail it out of there!

I have heard all of the same stories about their ability to recognize cameras.  We have had activity around us while filming, but never a clear sighting.  

I think that both the PGF and the Freeman footage are both legit, so it is possible to get some clear footage.

5 hours ago, Rockape said:

Not gonna lie, pretty sure I'd run away screaming like a little girl.

@Rockape

I love your answer Rockape. I think that some might just freeze and forget they even have a camera around their neck. The freezing part might be for a moment before the decide on what to do. It is the whole intake of the sighting that grabs you. Like jumping in freezing water. It catches you in complete amazement. My sighting was 20 - 10 yards and i was bare footed when it happened. My legs were weak while I had the sighting. But at the same time it was exciting.  Talk about a rush of adrenaline. I had that rush that people in fear talk about. Loved every second of it and miss that rush to this day.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

@Rockape

I love your answer Rockape. I think that some might just freeze and forget they even have a camera around their neck. The freezing part might be for a moment before the decide on what to do. It is the whole intake of the sighting that grabs you. Like jumping in freezing water. It catches you in complete amazement. My sighting was 20 - 10 yards and i was bare footed when it happened. My legs were weak while I had the sighting. But at the same time it was exciting.  Talk about a rush of adrenaline. I had that rush that people in fear talk about. Loved every second of it and miss that rush to this day.

Hell, I had a camera in my hand and I never thought to use it.  I did calmly grab my off leash dog and put him on a leash so I was not frozen.  Just taking the pic/video never entered my mind.  And I had been aware of BFs for over a decade and knew immediately what was going on.  I had another case where there was 1 or more across the street at night warning me to go inside and I did it and promptly went back to bed.  I woke up wondering WTH, why did I not try and film them hunting from any number of vantage points I have over the property with my IR camera.  Completely inexplicable.

I think when Patty turned to Roger Patterson, he determined that was close enough.  I would hope to be at the closest vantage for clearest video,  without stressing the subject...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Outkast said:

I think when Patty turned to Roger Patterson, he determined that was close enough.  I would hope to be at the closest vantage for clearest video,  without stressing the subject...

I always thought that Patterson told Gimlin to cover him as he took off after the creature.

One of the PGF experts here can chime in to correct me if necessary.

For me it depends how I see it . If I suspect they are in the area or I heard noise maybe it wouldn't surprise me as much but If I walk around a tree and see one standing there

fairly close I think I'm going to back off as soon as the shock wears off. Approaching  one would be difficult because my heart would be beating 200 beats a minute

and not going to lie I would be very scared seeing something  human like that big . 

If I'm with a group of people it would feel different but alone my knees will be shaking .

36 minutes ago, Outkast said:

That kind of made me laugh :lol:

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I always thought that Patterson told Gimlin to cover him as he took off after the creature.

One of the PGF experts here can chime in to correct me if necessary.

No PGF expert by a long shot, but Bob Gimlin crossing the creek on his horse is what made her look back.

2 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

@Rockape

I think it would be natural for most people to "freeze up" when they see one. It would take your brain a moment to process what the heck you are seeing. You're not seeing something you instantly recognize, your brain has no file saying, "yep, that's an animal I'm familiar with".

Edited by Rockape

Admin

I have always thought that the incident with the couple viewing BF from their sleeping compartment on a train was the best way to have a sighting. Given that is not an option, 100 yards minimum, preferrably 500 or more looking through high powered optics and it does not even know you are there. Also terrain would be an important factor as well.

17 minutes ago, Rockape said:

I think it would be natural for most people to "freeze up" when they see one. It would take your brain a moment to something you instantly recognize, your brain has no file saying, "yep, that's an animal I'm familiar with".process what the heck you are seeing. 

Agree

your brain also will try to see something familiar  or associate  it with a  known animal you have seen before whether in person or on video .

But then after a few seconds you know it's something you have no reference for.

9 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

Agree

your brain also will try to see something familiar  or associate  it with a  known animal you have seen before whether in person or on video .

But then after a few seconds you know it's something you have no reference for.

Yes, a lot of people say they thought it looked very human like. I know a lot of hunters, when asked why they didn't shoot it, say it looked too much like a human. So it would throw your brain for a loop, thinking "that looks like a human, but I know it isn't".

Many sighting are but a few seconds, then the BF walks away. Your brain is still coming to grips with what you are seeing. That's a big reason why people don't get good photos, or shoot one, it's gone before the brain kicks in.

That's all just my opinion from the numerous sightings I have read about or heard about.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rockape said:

Yes, a lot of people say they thought it looked very human like. I know a lot of hunters, when asked why they didn't shoot it, say it looked too much like a human. So it would throw your brain for a loop, thinking "that looks like a human, but I know it isn't".

Many sighting are but a few seconds, then the BF walks away. Your brain is still coming to grips with what you are seeing. That's a big reason why people don't get good photos, or shoot one, it's gone before the brain kicks in.

That's all just my opinion from the numerous sightings I have read about or heard about.

No that's a fair assessment of almost all sightings that have been reported . That's why there are so few photos of them. It's not for lack of people seeing them over the years.

Many people have