How close would you get?

Moonface

5 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I don't know about my personal minimum but do know from one encounter where I was trying to get a BF to break cover that about 100 yards was that bigfoot's own minimum distance.    That is the point that it growled at me,  and I decided to back out.   I suspect if I saw an adult male at the same distance I would not have attempted to close on it.   9 feet of adult BF has to be scary.     In that case, unknown to me,  another had flanked me and was closing on me from behind.   When the one in front growled,   the one behind me broke off a tree.  I fully believe that it is not the one you see that will get you,  it might be one behind you.     Of course accidently getting closer likely led to me getting zapped with infrasound during another encounter.     From the depression of vegetation,  next to a log,   I was within 10 yards of that one.  It was probably good that I did not see that one.    In two steps  it could have grabbed me.    That is rule one in bigfoot research;    be careful what you wish for.      I would really prefer to be looking through a spotting scope at a BF 200 yards away that does not know I am there.    For those that expect to bring down a charging BF with a weapon,    800 or 900 lbs of charging bigfoot would chew up more distance to fall than a similar weight bear just because of leg length.   Those that have downed a charging bear probably have the best practice for BF.

Was that first mention of 100 yards a typo? Not sure how you'd hear a growl at 100 yards. That's a football field.

5 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Was that first mention of 100 yards a typo? Not sure how you'd hear a growl at 100 yards. That's a football field.

That's not that far to hear a growl . haven't you ever heard a turkey gooble or a deer snort at that distance?

If there's no howling wind you can hear a growl easily at that distance 

28 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

That's not that far to hear a growl . haven't you ever heard a turkey gooble or a deer snort at that distance?

If there's no howling wind you can hear a growl easily at that distance 

Yes, I have. If the distance was 100 yards, I have misplayed his encounter in my head a bunch. I was not thinking 100 yards and the equivalent of a deer blowing or a turkey gobbling. Much closer and subtle.

8 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

Yes, I have. If the distance was 100 yards, I have misplayed his encounter in my head a bunch. I was not thinking 100 yards and the equivalent of a deer blowing or a turkey gobbling. Much closer and subtle.

I can see where you're coming from . If you were thinking just a very low growl kind of just a rumbling growl like my dog might do then no way that would be heard at 100 yards.

Something like that would be lucky to be heard at 10 yards unless it's very quiet out.

4 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

I can see where you're coming from . If you were thinking just a very low growl kind of just a rumbling growl like my dog might do then no way that would be heard at 100 yards.

Something like that would be lucky to be heard at 10 yards and it would have to be very still out.

You can sort of gauge an animal's mindset most times.  I've heard of several accounts of close encounters with these creatures and people who were armed and had a clean shot didn't take them because they were overcome with emotion.

I grew up around large animals having been raised on a small horse ranch and I've been told that I am somewhat of a horse whisperer.  I've found that emotional connection with other large creatures.

I'm a big, tough, straight-laced conservative guy, so what I'm about to say may seem a bit loony, but I honestly think an encounter with such a creature would be almost a spiritual experience.  For me, at least.  I remember years ago I was in the Idaho mountains and hunting for elk.  

I walked around the corner of an old overgrown logging road and encountered a herd of cow moose and their calves.  I was a human, with a rifle, and by all appearances, a lethal threat.  But, I had no intention of harming them and was instead instantly fascinated by them.  What happened next was pretty amazing.  I slung my rifle on my back and just slowly approached them, humming softly and speaking quietly.  Instead of crashing off into the woods, they just sort of moved cautiously around me.  I watched their ears for signs of aggression or alarm.  You can tell a lot about a horse's emotional state by their ear movements.  The moose soon relaxed and just let me walk through them.  I could have reached out and touched them.

It was a pretty moving experience.  I've had lots of encounters over the years that were similar.  Some animals I could tell were aggressive and others I sensed were ambivalent.

Just last year I was out scouting for elk and came across a cow moose and her calf.  I was able to get really close to them before they got spooked and moved into the trees...

12LwGlukTOWeXNkI8J0gkA.jpeg

So, I imagine if I had an encounter with a Bigfoot, that it would be able sense that I was not a threat.  I have no desire to kill one or prove to the world that they are real.  I think I would also be able to sense it's intentions towards me.  As long as it wasn't a female.  I still have no idea what women are thinking and am completely clueless, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 7.62 said:

For me it depends how I see it . If I suspect they are in the area or I heard noise maybe it wouldn't surprise me as much but If I walk around a tree and see one standing there

fairly close I think I'm going to back off as soon as the shock wears off. Approaching  one would be difficult because my heart would be beating 200 beats a minute

and not going to lie I would be very scared seeing something  human like that big . 

If I'm with a group of people it would feel different but alone my knees will be shaking .

Absolutely...that will be the greatest trick, to try and hold it together long enough and get some kind of documentation...

12 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I always thought that Patterson told Gimlin to cover him as he took off after the creature.

One of the PGF experts here can chime in to correct me if necessary.

you are correct...I think the subject turned  at the point Gimlen crossed the creek to do so?  But I'll concede to the experts as well to what actually occurred...

If it is during the day, where we could be face-to-face at some close distance, it would be a life-changing event. That hasn't happened to me (yet hopefully) but I can imagine there are several stages I'd go through.

First, absolute shock. You stand, having difficulty breathing, firmly glued to the ground asking yourself if this is really happening. Then, acceptance of that situation before you. Oh my god, it really is there. Then, assessment of the risk. Is it calm or agitated, confronting or retreating? Finally, what do you plan to do, if anything?

My goal has always been to see one in visible light.  I'd never harm one unless attacked.  If I was able to get a clear picture, it would never see the public's eye other than my family and friends.

In the end, I would be fully satisfied if I walked away without garnering a shred of evidence knowing I had been blessed with the gift of seeing one of God's miraculous creatures.

• Like 2

BFF Patron
20 hours ago, NatFoot said:

The growl was intended for me to hear.   I estimate 100 yards because the forest ran that far to a cliff face.    I could see nearly that far in places.   I heard it move tree to tree as I advanced towards it.   It could have been closer.   There was a lot of tree fall in the area that impeded my movement.     Had the BF tried to withdraw up the cliff I would easily have seen it.  I basically cornered it   In retrospect it was a really dumb thing to do with any animal, especially since there were two of them in the area.  

In daylight, and with my sidearm in my hand, about 15 yards is as close as I'd want to be. With binoculars or a spotting scope during daylight, 100-600 yards is ideal, and that would be safer for both parties. At night, I don't want them around.

15 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Under-developed self preservation instinct and high curiosity here, if the Sas seems ok with it, I'm shaking hands.

Easy to say.

• Downvote 1