Is Anyone Feeling Closer To Sasquatch Discovery?

hiflier

3 minutes ago, iacozizzle said:

Has anyone ever call blasted with infrasound? 

Equipment to generate infrasound is pretty specialized, LARGE (not portable), and fairly expensive.    You can generate infrasound many ways but its usually not that controlled.   Air movement, etc.   To generate infrasound in a fairly controlled way, we're seemingly limited to the very largest of church pipe organs and very very large speakers.   It's used in some movie theaters and in dance .. big clubs .. to affect mood even though it is not heard.  (My daughter used to DJ in such clubs so I learned a bit through her.)   Getting equipment of that size, and with sufficient power, to the woods might be challenging.   If someone had access to a big enough truck and generator, it'd be fun to try.   (I wonder what it might do to seismographs in the area? :))

5 hours ago, xdivision said:

........I live in California it is the most miss handled wildlife environment I've ever seen..........

Yeah, but California mismanages everything within their borders, not just wildlife. Hell, the best sasquatch film ever produced was shot within their borders, and 54 years later, I'm still waiting for some kind of official statement from California wildlife managers regarding the film. Everybody under the sun has an opinion or long winded statement about it except them and USFWS. Is that really just a coincidence?

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Maybe I should explain something ... foundational to my response is that I think bigfoot is learning from our failures what our limitations are and how to anticipate and avoid our next try.   We're not talking about something that exist on instinct that gives us repeated tries with identical responses.    Even a fish learns not to bite a particular kind of fly after you've caught it 4-5 times or even almost caught it 4-5 times.   Bigfoots learn way faster than that.   Each thing we try that fails gives them improved intel on us yet gives us no new information about them, in other words, each failure seemingly makes the next attempt's failure more likely.     We may have reached a point where they're so far ahead of us that our only real hope is they take us lightly and slip up.

If we go deeper into what we hope is their territory, maybe we can change the dynamic--especially if we go solo.  Put ourselves out there and let them come to us. Be quiet, reserved, undefined, and hope their curiousity gets the better of them. Don't cast a chartreuse spinnerbait 4 or 5 times. Toss a Yo-Zuri floating minnow and let it sit there. Let it anger them because something is violating their space and not moving or, if nothing else, at least wonder why that lure is just sitting there--floating. 

As Bruce Lee said, "Become the Water".

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

I'm still waiting for some kind of official statement from California wildlife managers regarding the film.

And I think that's what officials hope people will keep doing. Saying nothing is the tried and true way for any agency to outlast a normal person's lifetime. People realize they get nowhere and just go away. The newly budded scientists are definitely the more fertile ground for the careful researcher to tap into. Fresh curiosity and being more  open minded regarding the BF subject. Ultimately, it won't be management level, or bureaucrats that will verify the species. It will be the scientists. Contacting them directly isn't a bad methodology to consider. At least that's what my own experience has showed me, but also I've also been mindful of not pester anyone. They are busy people, starting their lives, careers, families and everything else that young people do. 

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Put ourselves out there and let them come to us. Be quiet, reserved, undefined, and hope their curiousity gets the better of them. Don't cast a chartreuse spinnerbait 4 or 5 times. Toss a Yo-Zuri floating minnow and let it sit there. Let it anger them because something is violating their space and not moving....

If successful and you see one, then what? Do it again and again? To what end?

Edited by hiflier

5 hours ago, hiflier said:

I think audio clips of chest beating has been tried? Maybe not. The practice by the Great Apes is a dominant power move and reproducing it could be the equivalent of rattling antlers during ungulate rutting season. A stepped up, enhanced recording of a ruffed grouse might be a good mimic. Of course, that may call in a crown of Pileated woodpeckers in which case a researcher could be reduced to the Human equivalent of Swiss cheese in fairly short order ;)

Probably the best way to have a sighting is to make a territorial primate think you are a rival alpha male trespassing into their territory. 

Might be something to try in the Northern Cascades or Mt. St. Helens area. 

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

If successful and you see one, then what? Do it again and again? To what end?

WHEN successful, not if....

Then do it again? Yes 

To what end? because it's fun.

Doesn't fit your agenda? don't care

• Upvote 3

On 4/14/2021 at 9:59 PM, hiflier said:

In other words, I'd have to put myself in a scientist's seat, working away at whatever field I specialize in. One day I open up my emails and see this correspondence out of the blue from a bunch of people who offer a docusigned statement they support me and are requesting that I pursue the study of Bigfoot. What would that be like? Would it make me think a bit?

Could really use some more thoughts on this. It's good, it's positive, and it helps that you clearly understood the point being made. Really 'preciate that. Whaddaya think folks? Agree? Disagree? Other ideas?   

I'm confused (a little?) by why you feel it's going to take the scientific community, or a "scientist" to be pushed into doing this? If it takes some ad-hoc letter with hundreds of names to propel someone into becoming interested in pursuing something, I don't think they're really the person to do it. If they're really motivated to do something, they'll do it whether or not someone cheer-leads them into doing it.

Do I think we're any closer to discovery? They are discovered: they just aren't confirmed "by science". If a place like BFF could ever come to a respectable consensus of what CONSTITUTES discovery, then we could move on to 'how' to achieve it. Buy many of us out here are putting our own time and money into the subject and have plenty of personal experience to constitute proof to us. It just seems there's way too many people out there wanting it proven by someone else going out, bringing in the proof, and handing it to them. I'm not motivated by people's demands or skepticism in any way.

+100

It's all been done. Visual and audible contact (success?) has followed every kind of baiting method here proposed. Interested people should read about, listen to, and study past efforts, but all I can conclude is many are Not Paying Attention.

My own "discovery" is past and ongoing. I also reject official discovery and make a bold prediction that it will never happen.

26 minutes ago, GuyInIndiana said:

It just seems there's way too many people out there wanting it proven by someone else going out, bringing in the proof, and handing it to them. I'm not motivated by people's demands or skepticism in any way.

Agree totally.

Buy many of us out here are putting our own time and money into the subject

And I am no different in that respect. And I've gone the extra mile setting myself up for the scientific DNA side of things, again, at my own expense. I have published a book (at my own expense) and am going to publish a novel (same funding) in hopes that books sales will further fund my efforts to pay for DNA testing should the opportunity present itself. If the books don't do well? I'll fund testing anyway somehow. But I will do it.

They are discovered: they just aren't confirmed "by science".

THAT, my friend, is why I push to get at least one interested independent scientist involved who might benefit knowing there are people who stand behind their efforts- or help encourage their efforts. It wouldn't hurt the BFF community at all if that should happen. But how would we know without making the attempt? It's all about getting an unrecognized species recognized. I realize not all of are interested in doing that, however, for those that are, and for the reasons they give, then ALL avenues need to be explored.

If a place like BFF could ever come to a respectable consensus of what CONSTITUTES discovery, then we could move on to 'how' to achieve it.

Good topic for a thread. What CONSTITUTES discovery in the real world is at least scientific species verification which, if done correctly, will lead to recognition.

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JKH said:

It's all been done. Visual and audible contact (success?) has followed every kind of baiting method here proposed. Interested people should read about, listen to, and study past efforts, but all I can conclude is many are Not Paying Attention.

And most go, "Wow, look at that!" and then just move on. Same old same old.

15 hours ago, hiflier said:

The newly budded scientists are definitely the more fertile ground for the careful researcher to tap into. Fresh curiosity and being more  open minded regarding the BF subject.

Makes me wonder if approaching students trying to get their masters or PhD may be a way to go.  What better Thesis paper to present than a new yet discovered/unrecognized bipedal hominid.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

Makes me wonder if approaching students trying to get their masters or PhD may be a way to go.  What better Thesis paper to present than a new yet discovered/unrecognized bipedal hominid.

There has been at least 1 person on this board who fits that profile. Cryptids may be a curiosity for some students as they get into their field of study but that gets replaced by other research ideas pretty quickly. It becomes clear that you need to build a credible thesis to get your degree - that you may be paying big money to get. And it's not worth it to fight you way out of that hole as a grad trying to get a job. People doing the hiring for academic jobs are not impressed by bigfoot on a resume.

19 hours ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, but California mismanages everything within their borders, not just wildlife. Hell, the best sasquatch film ever produced was shot within their borders, and 54 years later, I'm still waiting for some kind of official statement from California wildlife managers regarding the film. Everybody under the sun has an opinion or long winded statement about it except them and USFWS. Is that really just a coincidence?

To me, not coincidence, more of dead weight bureaucracy.  Having been a Cali resident most of my existence it is very clear that the golden state governments over the years are overwhelmed by the challenges. They don't fix anything just band aids. What you get is inconsistencies. How in the world would fish and wildlife keep a position on BF straight when there are hundreds of other priorities that never get answered either?

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 1

The University of California system has a vibrant citizen science program. A citizen scientist in Cal pays nothing except time and gas for training,with all materials for field work provided for free, including testing. Applicants are also notified of the results. Other states have such programs but, without a database of which one do, it's difficult to know where and how to get involved. In Maine there's a program but it's restricted to collecting coastal marine data. Other states like NY has an ornithology program. F&W have their own programs but little if any information that I know of is publicly available although some academic departments more than likely have access.

As an added thought, I don't think it's possible to know, unless personally, who any undergraduate students are so how to find them and present the case is an unknown. And I really doubt contacting a department head and asking which of their students is interested in the Sasquatch is on the table.