Is Anyone Feeling Closer To Sasquatch Discovery?

hiflier

14 minutes ago, MIB said:

I have a knack for the obvious, eh?  

No, you have a knack for casting dark shadows on members. And it isn't pretty. I also submitted a post explaining how I got to where I'm at today. Where are the compliments?

Edited by hiflier

11 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

A good method might be using a call mimicking a deer in distress. There are many things that we do not know about this species. But there have been a number of reliable reports which indicate that deer are certainly on the Bigfoot menu. 

It is a logical approach.   That said, it's been tried and it failed .. so far.  

Remember the thing about the definition of insanity being repeating the same thing expecting the results to change?  The first step in avoiding that is being aware of what has been done, studying the history, so as not to fall into the trap of thinking each idea is a new idea.   It's new to us, not new to the community. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, like I said, it's a logical approach.   I wouldn't give up on it, but I would try to understand why it failed in the past and address those things in how/where I do it next.  

Maybe I should explain something ... foundational to my response is that I think bigfoot is learning from our failures what our limitations are and how to anticipate and avoid our next try.   We're not talking about something that exist on instinct that gives us repeated tries with identical responses.    Even a fish learns not to bite a particular kind of fly after you've caught it 4-5 times or even almost caught it 4-5 times.   Bigfoots learn way faster than that.   Each thing we try that fails gives them improved intel on us yet gives us no new information about them, in other words, each failure seemingly makes the next attempt's failure more likely.     We may have reached a point where they're so far ahead of us that our only real hope is they take us lightly and slip up.

MIB

The problem I see with DNA is that it's being compared to a species of Monkey that we had already known existed, so we had a frame of reference already. It was merely a sub-species of an already verified animal. It's apples and oranges, there is nothing to compare Bigfoot DNA to so what would your methodology be to support your claims if you do indeed have DNA from a Sasquatch? 

Edited by Marty

7 minutes ago, MIB said:

Remember the thing about the definition of insanity being repeating the same thing expecting the results to change?  The first step in avoiding that is being aware of what has been done, studying the history, so as not to fall into the trap of thinking each idea is a new idea.   It's new to us, not new to the community. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, like I said, it's a logical approach.   I wouldn't give up on it, but I would try to understand why it failed in the past and address those things in how/where I do it next.  

Maybe I should explain something ... foundational to my response is that I think bigfoot is learning from our failures what our limitations are and how to anticipate and avoid our next try.   We're not talking about something that exist on instinct that gives us repeated tries with identical responses.    Even a fish learns not to bite a particular kind of fly after you've caught it 4-5 times or even almost caught it 4-5 times.   Bigfoots learn way faster than that.   Each thing we try that fails gives them improved intel on us yet gives us no new information about them, in other words, each failure seemingly makes the next attempt's failure more likely.     We may have reached a point where they're so far ahead of us that our only real hope is they take us lightly and slip up.

MIB

Very true, and very well said. We need to try multiple avenues in order to confirm the species existence. Both DNA and acquiring a type specimen are valid options. Higher primates are certainly more adaptable than other animals. Bigfoot are almost certainly more intelligent than any of the currently known great ape species. 

Perhaps we could throw in a wild card...have any researchers attempted gorilla or any other great ape calls? It would be something strangely familiar yet unfamiliar to them at the same time. 

Edited by Wooly Booger

4 minutes ago, MIB said:

We may have reached a point where they're so far ahead of us that our only real hope is they take us lightly and slip up.

I think we can do much better than that. Someone said they're a moving needle in the North American haystack or some such thing. Perhaps the methodology should be targeting something that doesn't move? I know, I know, not a novel thought. But could be a very practical, reachable, much easier nut to crack.

12 minutes ago, MIB said:

MIB

That’s fascinating.

Do you believe that it is individual learning or is the information shared between them somehow?

8 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Perhaps we could throw in a wild card...have any researchers attempted gorilla or any other great ape calls? It would be something strangely familiar yet unfamiliar to them at the same time.

I think audio clips of chest beating has been tried? Maybe not. The practice by the Great Apes is a dominant power move and reproducing it could be the equivalent of rattling antlers during ungulate rutting season. A stepped up, enhanced recording of a ruffed grouse might be a good mimic. Of course, that may call in a crown of Pileated woodpeckers in which case a researcher could be reduced to the Human equivalent of Swiss cheese in fairly short order ;)

Edited by hiflier

Just now, Wooly Booger said:

Perhaps we could throw in a wild card...have any researchers attempted gorilla or any other great ape calls?

Yes.   There was a some of that done in earlier days.    Also trying scents, pheromones, etc.   

I'm going to argue with myself here ... one thing we might consider is going back to the "bigfoot research history books" and look at things that turned up potential results in the farther past but have not been tried recently, tricks up our sleeves "they" might have forgotten about.    I dunno, wild guess here.    Maybe if we mix those older, forgotten things, but put in a new twist, we could change the result.    I think most researchers have moved from ape camp to expecting something more intelligent.   If we assume the earlier attempts failed because we somehow underestimated the BFs, maybe if we mix the roots of those attempts with the greater subtlety that (hopefully) comes with today's understanding, we could success where we failed in the past.     One of the things I'm looking for is not just evolution of approach (which can be anticipated) but revolution of approach ... a leap forward.   Maybe combining old / now overlooked ideas with modern capability / understanding would do the trick.    For me, this is worth considering so .. thanks for the inspiration.

MIB

• Upvote 1

I honestly think the best approach is to simply leave the house prepared. Go about your day packing iron. Most reports are just that, humans going about their day. If your going hunting, fishing, prospecting, berry picking, checking livestock, wood cutting? Go prepared.

If enough of us simply change our mindset and goals? It’s a game of odds. And the lotto numbers are gonna come up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Do you believe that it is individual learning or is the information shared between them somehow?

I want to be careful about using the word "believe."     Rather, considering Scott Nelson's expert assertion that the Sierra Sounds are language, I have to consider the distinct possibility that they can indeed pass on information, they are not limited to what they have personally experienced.    That's an implication of a symbolic language.     Whether they can do that at a distance .. that implies either technology we're not aware of or "woo" abilities we're not aware of.    It's a thing that's on the table for further examination when more evidence is available.  (That's my coward's way out of a direct answer. :))

MIB

4 minutes ago, norseman said:

I honestly think the best approach is to simply leave the house prepared. Go about your day packing iron. Most reports are just that, humans going about their day. If your going hunting, fishing, prospecting, berry picking, checking livestock, wood cutting? Go prepared.

If enough of us simply change our mindset and goals? It’s a game of odds. And the lotto numbers are gonna come up.

+1.   Though I remain no-kill, I believe if proving existence is the foremost consideration, you are correct regarding approach.

MIB

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I think audio clips of chest beating has been tried? Maybe not.

I think so.  Seems to me John Freitas has done that around the Bluff Creek area, Six Rivers National Forest.    He's done as much call blasting, with all kinds of sounds, trying to get / record a response, as anyone I can think of.

MIB

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MIB said:

I think so.  Seems to me John Freitas has done that around the Bluff Creek area, Six Rivers National Forest.    He's done as much call blasting, with all kinds of sounds, trying to get / record a response, as anyone I can think of.

MIB

The documentary is on Amazon streaming, maybe YT as well. It's called Operation Nightscream 2003

Edited by Arvedis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hiflier said:

No, you have a knack for casting dark shadows on members. And it isn't pretty. I also submitted a post explaining how I got to where I'm at today. Where are the compliments?

Fear not, oh hiflier, when you say something worthy of a compliment you'll get one!   (Same for criticism.)    How 'bout we stay on topic?    I seem to have missed your post about how you got where you are today.    Was that the one about contacting your local biologist?    That is a good idea.   I've done it twice with two different results.    The first person I talked to was the head of our wolf management program and she was very interested in exchange of information, bigfoot information from fish and wildlife to me, wolf information from me to her.   I don't know why, but she no longer works for fish and wildlife, at least not in this district.    Seems .. odd.   But maybe coincidence.   The second contact was not so welcoming.   I didn't get around to bigfoot, I had some audio I wanted assistance with (identification) and it lead to me being asked to leave.     It was one of those "ahhh" "roars."   The guy I was talking to was new to the particular field office ... he appeared to be fearful of being seen taking my questions and audio seriously.  I might have better luck with one of the more senior people but with covid, they're not taking drop-in visits.   I like going in and talking to them face to face.

MIB 

There was a BFF 1.0 post by Watch1 who did field work in Northern Alabama.   He used elk audio.  Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.   Part of the post went something like "there are no elk in Alabama.   If a bf is in the area it sure will come in and check it out lol."

I've always thought the use of non indigenous prey audio was great.  I wonder if cape buffalo audio would work.

Has anyone ever call blasted with infrasound?