Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

That's why we who have saw them are always looking for a way of closure. He should be here where he can express his encounter with others who feel the same way. We are not all made of the same cloth. But we have ran him off to live with some thing that he has regretted.  We have all tried to gather the proof to these creatures but have failed. We are all no closer to solving what these creatures are then we were many years back.  I have always felt bad to his deeds on what he did. Have always felt that there is a curse placed on those who have killed these creatures. He is just one of those.

That video was well put together and explained Justin life very well. He has been punished by his deeds by the killing of the large creature and the small one. This should be a warning to us who may want to kill one of these creatures. What are we willing to live with after the event. Justin guilt may have not been by the killing but the way he hid the bodies and how he felt that he may have killed humans.

His hunting tactics may have not been law abiding in his state . I know that in Michigan that there is no way i would be driving around with a loaded rifle in the back seat during hunting season. That is just plain dumb. So for him to be so ready to shoot these creatures added to his paranoia. Like he said why would he worry about the F & G be around if he has never seen them before. So his ethics on Hunting were wrong in the first place. The fact that he had to hide the bodies was wrong as well. Why do some thing like that unless you know it was wrong in your heart. He had remorse and now he is living with that. Now he lives with that.

Nice video, I remember when I first watched the Justin Smeja interview a few years ago being at first incredulous to the story but as you watch him be interviewed he comes across as quite genuine. I've luckily had some rudimentary interview training with a previous job and while I'm certainly no expert he seems to me to be a credible interview subject. Not sure what the polygraph expert is on about though, 98.5 percent accurate? That's total BS, polygraphs are around 85 to 88 percent accurate I believe on average even with advances over the last couple years and they'll rarely catch out a compulsive liar so there is that......

Overall though I thought the two stories tied up quite well - they shouldn't be exactly the same as that's a major red flag - but had subtle differences. The sample, bodies and DNA are the issues though. Very sad if it's true for all parties.

Admin
On 4/21/2021 at 12:53 PM, Wooly Booger said:

Greetings,

Quite a few years ago now, back in 2013 there was an account of an Oregon hunter by the name of Justin Smeja who allegedly shot and killed two Bigfoot. I remember this story big news in the Bigfoot community when it first became public but now it seems to have fallen by the wayside. 

The analysis I read sees to suggest that Smeja was an honest, albeit stupid and careless man who bungled the opportunity for finally proving the existence of these creatures by not bringing the remains back to civilization. 

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are? Is this a true account of a lucky yet careless hunter? Or is it a hoax?

To date, it still looks like a fabricated story.

Some have said he gave different samples to different people because he was concerned about being prosecuted if these bigfeet turned out to be human, yada yada yada...but nothing substantial has surfaced to make this anything other than a tale. The sample Sykes tested turned out to be Bear, If I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, masterbarber said:

To date, it still looks like a fabricated story.

Some have said he gave different samples to different people because he was concerned about being prosecuted if these bigfeet turned out to be human, yada yada yada...but nothing substantial has surfaced to make this anything other than a tale. The sample Sykes tested turned out to be Bear, If I recall correctly.

There is a chance the incident was a hoax. But based upon evidence cited above it seems unlikely. As mentioned before, the sample was collected was from an area where hunters skin their game. He went to the site of the shooting weeks after the fact. 

Personally I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

On 4/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, Arvedis said:

Where is the trophy though? Just kill it for the heck of it? To harvest the gall bladder? I don't doubt there is illegal animal organ harvesting going on but all indications are that's not what this guy does or did.

None of his story makes any sense from the standpoint of it maybe being a bigfoot. The killed ones were juveniles so easier to move, they had a truck, so they had the means to take the body with them. They had the holy grail of bigfoot (according to their version) and left it there..... so either Justin poached a bear cub and pitched a story in order to avoid punishment or he's the dumbest so and so on earth. Pick one.

8 hours ago, Celtic Raider said:

Nice video, I remember when I first watched the Justin Smeja interview a few years ago being at first incredulous to the story but as you watch him be interviewed he comes across as quite genuine. I've luckily had some rudimentary interview training with a previous job and while I'm certainly no expert he seems to me to be a credible interview subject. Not sure what the polygraph expert is on about though, 98.5 percent accurate? That's total BS, polygraphs are around 85 to 88 percent accurate I believe on average even with advances over the last couple years and they'll rarely catch out a compulsive liar so there is that......

Overall though I thought the two stories tied up quite well - they shouldn't be exactly the same as that's a major red flag - but had subtle differences. The sample, bodies and DNA are the issues though. Very sad if it's true for all parties.

If he's telling the truth (He's not), then he's a complete twit for not taking the body with him and solving the mystery once and for all.

Admin
2 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

There is a chance the incident was a hoax. But based upon evidence cited above it seems unlikely. As mentioned before, the sample was collected was from an area where hunters skin their game. He went to the site of the shooting weeks after the fact. 

Personally I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

By all means, have at it. This wouldn't be the first tale that gets beaten to paste

5 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

If he's telling the truth (He's not), then he's a complete twit for not taking the body with him and solving the mystery once and for all.

We'll, I guess we'll never know! Like I said, when I first heard the story I was incredulous and of course thought it couldn't be true. Just observing that he exhibits tendancies in his interview that he's generally being truthful.........or he's a very accomplished liar 😁

Like you say, the story doesn't really make sense, has a number of huge red flags but I just expected to watch the interview and it validate my concerns but it just didn't. Very curious!

Wouldn't it be great if one of these close encounter events that spins endlessly involved someone familiar with BF? That person would have their HD camera ready to pull out within seconds or a GoPro. He would have a machete and no fear of chopping a hand or finger or something easy to place in a sterile container, scoff at BF's pain as he whimpered away with a "why'd you do that you bully, I was only bluff charging" growl. Investigator heads back to civilization with non-faked video from a confirmed, exact GPS location, print casts, genetic samples that were fresh and a biologist with a lab is in the same region who offered to do do all the testing for free.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Arvedis said:

Wouldn't it be great if one of these close encounter events that spins endlessly involved someone familiar with BF? That person would have their HD camera ready to pull out within seconds or a GoPro. He would have a machete and no fear of chopping a hand or finger or something easy to place in a sterile container, scoff at BF's pain as he whimpered away with a "why'd you do that you bully, I was only bluff charging" growl. Investigator heads back to civilization with non-faked video from a confirmed, exact GPS location, print casts, genetic samples that were fresh and a biologist with a lab is in the same region who offered to do do all the testing for free.

I wouldn't want to go against a massive apex predator with only a machete. Such a weapon would only serve to **** the creature off. As would most handguns with the exception of a .44 caliber. 

Even a .30-06 would be too light of a weapon against a Sasquatch. Ideally a prospective Hunter would need a .300 Magnum. 

Actually it was one adult and one juvenile that was killed. The other juvenile was unharmed. Physically. Emotionally, well, that's another story.

Edited by Doug

3 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

I wouldn't want to go against a massive apex predator with only a machete. Such a weapon would only serve to **** the creature off. As would most handguns with the exception of a .44 caliber. 

Even a .30-06 would be too light of a weapon against a Sasquatch. Ideally a prospective Hunter would need a .300 Magnum. 

There was a time when Bigfoot specimen hunters were not soft and went hand to hand with these so called "apex predators". Now, Bigfoot specimen hunters take an impersonal approach with high powered weaponry. If you went old school and had some Jet Li moves, there shouldn't be any problem.  A steak knife or machete should be enough to overpower it.

adv.jpg

Edited by Arvedis
  • Haha 1

Jeez. That was like ten years ago.

If you want to read up, there's pages of info here and plenty of related podcast type stuff and it's complicated. Some honest big names believed him, so I think it happened mostly as told. However, the whole thing was a mess and the displays of greed by some orbiting were revolting. Imagine making a "movie" about such a shameful incident. Probably about the time I decided that "discovery" was not something to wish for.

I recall in some interview, or maybe the movie, he said something I always thought odd. He said he picked up the baby and watched it dying, "then a bunch of other stuff happened" and then his friend found him, etc. He acted quite unnerved, IMO, so I wonder if he got some sort of mindspeak. We'll never know, I guess.

• Upvote 1

Imo opinion he wasn't lying. He had details and bf behaviors that weren't commonly known or discussed at that time.

That incident was a prime example of the cover up around Wildman. The govt more than likely has software to where they can crack into the sequencer and change results. Similar to that alleged ability they have where they can extract, delete, or add, information to your home cpu from a distance. Or at the least they accessed the property and switched the samples.

But yeah it happened.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Wooly Booger said:

@Arvedisyou mentioned in the chat last night that Justin Smeja was on the forum. Was he on here recently? 

Not that I'm aware of. Smeja only surfaces when someone recycles the story thinking there are clues yet to be discovered, and he may answer questions based on that. I think BF audiences have squeezed all that is going to be squeezed out of this one.

15 hours ago, JKH said:

I recall in some interview, or maybe the movie, he said something I always thought odd. He said he picked up the baby and watched it dying, "then a bunch of other stuff happened" and then his friend found him, etc. He acted quite unnerved, IMO, so I wonder if he got some sort of mindspeak. We'll never know, I guess.

Not mindspeak. He became emotional, realizing he shot what appeared be a somewhat human looking child.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1