Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

So, let’s say that he’s a poacher...does it all of the time And has apparently gotten away with it before.

This time, all he has to do to get away with it is to cover the bodies and be quiet about it.  But, he then decides to concoct a story that is guaranteed to do nothing but gain attention.  A lot of attention...on a national scale.  He then sticks with that story and knowingly turns over bear meat to the DNA study, knowing that this will definitely bring F&W down on his head.

That makes zero sense.  If he had poached a bear, by far the easiest thing to do would have been to just shut up afterwards.  If he was an experienced poacher his account doesn’t make sense.  If he was a first time poacher his account doesn’t make sense.  Heck, it doesn’t make sense that he was just making it up...because it looks like it’s gained him nothing but negative results.  Why stick to the story?

Another thing that rings true about his account is the fact that it hasn’t continued to evolve over the years.  Hoaxers like the spotlight, and when the original story begins to fade out of the public’s attention they will expand upon that story.  Something new will happen.  They will ‘remember’ something new.  Justin’s story stays consistent...shot the big one, then shot the little one and watched it die.  End of story.  

Consistent..... maybe, but still a disjointed bunch of baloney imo. He poached a bear, and as disjointed as his fable is, it makes no less sense to hide behind bigfoot than to just shut up about it. He's a hoaxer.

2 hours ago, norseman said:

Most places I know? It’s not illegal to shoot a cub. It’s frowned upon, but not illegal. Bears don’t grow antlers to tell sex and age. So there is no simple demarcation line with bears. A good guide can tell sex and age just by looking at a bear. But many hunters cannot.

This would have been California, so they do have a Bear season, but he has been pinched for poaching bear so there is a precedent to believe that he did. If he shot a/or killed the 3 squatches he did it "just because" and then commited wanton waste on the carcasses, so he's not standing on any moral high ground either way.

I just came across this thread, and at the risk of derailing it, whatever happened to Bart Cutino (since he was mentioned early on as having surreptitiously overhearing Smeja and his "partner" talking.)  Seems he fell off the bigfoot world shortly after his night vision encounter.

19 minutes ago, Trooper1410 said:

I just came across this thread, and at the risk of derailing it, whatever happened to Bart Cutino (since he was mentioned early on as having surreptitiously overhearing Smeja and his "partner" talking.)  Seems he fell off the bigfoot world shortly after his night vision encounter.

I don't know him personally but it's not uncommon for people to be neck deep in bigfoot one day and then they reach a threshold and drop out the next. I think people get caught up in issues and some event triggers faith the mystery will be solved only for the bubble to burst. It's an emotional roller coaster for many people. 

Not saying that's the case here but it is one possibility based on the trail of burnt out bigfooters of the past.

32 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

This would have been California, so they do have a Bear season, but he has been pinched for poaching bear so there is a precedent to believe that he did. If he shot a/or killed the 3 squatches he did it "just because" and then commited wanton waste on the carcasses, so he's not standing on any moral high ground either way.

Nor am I defending his morality. I’m just stating the possible legalities involved as a past bear hunter.

Most states and not sure about California do not have a age restriction on black bear. Mainly because bears are hard to judge sex and age.

12 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

Consistent..... maybe, but still a disjointed bunch of baloney imo. He poached a bear, and as disjointed as his fable is, it makes no less sense to hide behind bigfoot than to just shut up about it. He's a hoaxer.

He included too many details and behaviors that weren't well known about Wildman at the time.

Imo opinion he most definitely shot and killed one. What happened after that, and the conclusion of the story, well that's the funny part.

20 hours ago, norseman said:

Nor am I defending his morality. I’m just stating the possible legalities involved as a past bear hunter.

Most states and not sure about California do not have a age restriction on black bear. Mainly because bears are hard to judge sex and age.

I did a quick google on whether they (California) have a bear season, and they do, but it didn't mention age restrictions, but it would be possible taking a cub would be poaching, devil is in the details. I'll look deeper as now I'm curious.

8 hours ago, Delta Zulu said:

He included too many details and behaviors that weren't well known about Wildman at the time.

Imo opinion he most definitely shot and killed one. What happened after that, and the conclusion of the story, well that's the funny part.

Having had my own up close run in with them, his details don't jibe with my experience. That said, if he did and he left it there to rot, he had the holy grail and left it and he is a total nimrod for doing so.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:45 AM, ShadowBorn said:

Justin Story was found out on a hunting Forum by Derek. This is how it was brought out to the Bigfoot world. So if Derek did not see his story on this hunting forum no one would have known who Justin even was. So that's where this story should have started in the first place. It was by pure chance that Derek came across this story and happen to follow up on it. So it was by pure chance that this story came out into the open. 

Not Paying Attention. Ken Walker found him and informed a few other famous dudes. Ken used to post here, among others, but you can't search old usernames anymore. Long ago for some reason, this forum disappeared inactive users, without explanation.

Gigantor posted old threads with lots of details on page 3 of this one.

Anyway, all those names haven't gone away, they're just on other platforms, or sometimes not as public. Use your typing skills and find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnsqHrgz-Z8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg0Y4TaehVw

Recent video featuring JS is around, even, appears to be taking himself very seriously.

Now done with this tiresome topic.

Edited by JKH
  • Upvote 1

JKH, is right. You are not going to find there names on this forum. But that does not say that they might not be lurking on this forum. If they ever decide to post back on this forum well that would be great for us all.

2 hours ago, JKH said:

Recent video featuring JS is around, even, appears to be taking himself very seriously.

Now done with this tiresome topic.

I haven't seen anything from him recently, guessing he was done with the subject as well. But people still recycle the events and try to conform or rationalize it to their view. He may feel compelled to respond to some of it.

The bottom line is in those moments of decision, Justin showed no regard for life. The issue is not, oh darn we lost an opportunity to get fresh dna. That would have been a minor victory by cold hearted folks thinking science gives a crap about validating their personal obsession. It was a tragic scene. He killed 2 living beings. Not animals for food or clothing or another means of survival. It wasn't even for sport. It was just callous murder. 

There are multiple sides to Justin. I've seen him not show emotion, like he's too vacant to comprehend the ramifications. Then I've seen him borderline breaking down emotionally from the enormity of it.

Nothing good came of this. It's a stain on humanity.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Arvedis said:

That would have been a minor victory by cold hearted folks thinking science gives a crap about validating their personal obsession.

No doubt, A, that for some that is exactly what it is. A selfish personal obsession. A mere case of vainglory with no thought of a single benefit to others. A fool's errand if there ever was one.

On 4/29/2021 at 8:31 AM, vinchyfoot said:

........ he has been pinched for poaching bear so there is a precedent to believe that he did..........

I don't remember if anybody had a reference to previous allegations or convictions. How do you know that he had been caught on hunting violations before?

.........If he shot a/or killed the 3 squatches he did it "just because" and then commited wanton waste on the carcasses, so he's not standing on any moral high ground either way. shot a/or killed the 3 squatches he did it "just because" and then commited wanton waste on the carcasses, so he's not standing on any moral high ground either way.

I agree that shooting them and leaving was immoral, and I certainly wouldn't have done it, but I certainly understand the impulse to shoot, and I also understand the fear after doing it, especially as the young one died in his arms. Some men suffer the same kill frenzy that overcome wolves, sharks, domestic dogs, and all other predators. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Had I been Smeja's partner, that baby sasquatch would have been tossed in the trunk of the car.

But his morality really has zero bearing on whether he was hoaxing or not. Zip.

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Had I been Smeja's partner, that baby sasquatch would have been tossed in the trunk of the car.

Man #2 on the scene is rarely discussed. He likely would have not allowed the kid BF carcass to have been put in his truck. He was off searching for the carcass of big BF while JS finished off kid BF. When he returned, man #2 on the scene expressed his displeasure with the unnecessary act.

Man #2 is no angel but he has not only distanced himself from everything, he has left town to whereabouts unknown.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Man #2 on the scene is rarely discussed. He likely would have not allowed the kid BF carcass to have been put in his truck........

That's true. And I have to admit being present around acts of immorality, walking away from it, washing my hands of it, and maintaining silence, but I tend not to keep such company in the future. Not always, though. My brother has an assassin-type personality, but the entire family scolds him regularly about it, and he has gotten better about it over the years. 

To his credit, Man #2 did try to warn Smeja not to shoot, was disgusted with his acts, has tried to maintain his anonymity, and has been relatively quiet afterwards. That doesn't mesh well with the acts of a hoaxer.