Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

19 hours ago, Huntster said:

I don't remember if anybody had a reference to previous allegations or convictions. How do you know that he had been caught on hunting violations before?

I agree that shooting them and leaving was immoral, and I certainly wouldn't have done it, but I certainly understand the impulse to shoot, and I also understand the fear after doing it, especially as the young one died in his arms. Some men suffer the same kill frenzy that overcome wolves, sharks, domestic dogs, and all other predators. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Had I been Smeja's partner, that baby sasquatch would have been tossed in the trunk of the car.

But his morality really has zero bearing on whether he was hoaxing or not. Zip.

It was posted somewhere else that he had been nailed in another state; wanna say Nevada for poaching..... but yeah it does speak to his potential to hoax is he's poaching to.

I was always curious why the trio of squatches didn't hear his truck coming and head for cover? It seems that in a remote setting they would have heard the truck long before it arrived. 

51 minutes ago, cromag said:

I was always curious why the trio of squatches didn't hear his truck coming and head for cover? It seems that in a remote setting they would have heard the truck long before it arrived. 

This is a nagging open question. What should have happened was BF just scrambles away into the nearest woods and that is it. What appears to happen instead is the BF tries to engage or reacts surprised. If that didn't happen I don't think the rest of the events happen. It was only after they had a chance to get a closer look that decisions got worse.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Like 1

These renditions were done by Robert Lindsay in 2012. They're of the adult male and juvenile Smeja supposedly shot. Does anyone know if these were done with Justins' input or guidance? The juvenile looks very much like a gorilla, and not at all human like as Justin claimed.

If they were done without Justins' input, that's understandable. 

th.jpeg

th-1.jpeg

Best to discount anything from Robert Lindsay. He seems to be a self appointed misinformation machine for unknown reasons. Some say he was hired to spread lies, some say he does it on his own. Any way it is looked at the guy is off the rails.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Best to discount anything from Robert Lindsay. He seems to be a self appointed misinformation machine for unknown reasons. Some say he was hired to spread lies, some say he does it on his own. Any way it is looked at the guy is off the rails.

Yeah I remember him from way back, always was a questionable source of information.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting clip of a segment on British TV. By this point, you can hear it in his tone that he is tired of the story himself.

Edited by Arvedis
  • Sad 1

If he wanted his 15 minutes of fame, he got it. If he poached a bear cub and this was his cover story, also understandable that he would wan to be done with it and move on. If it was a the cub, there's some karma in having it not go away so soon.

SSR Team

The best part of the Smeja stuff turned out not to be him allegedly shooting the x2 (which i think he did by the way and you can quote me on that all day, every day) because it ultimately could never be fully clarified even with the lie detector clearance, but the footage that was obtained by Bart Cutino in the subsequent investigations.

One of my best buddies in the BF world was present for that and i fully trust his words of what happened that night without fail. That footage, in my belief, shows a lot of real interesting behavioural insight in to these things too, with the watching a camp from a distance and the rock thrown in to camp, specifically.

• Like 1

SSR Team
On 5/3/2021 at 9:04 PM, Arvedis said:

This is a nagging open question. What should have happened was BF just scrambles away into the nearest woods and that is it. What appears to happen instead is the BF tries to engage or reacts surprised. If that didn't happen I don't think the rest of the events happen. It was only after they had a chance to get a closer look that decisions got worse.

I hear you loud and clear on this, but if they scramble away each and every time at the sight/sound of a car, we wouldn't have the 1,834 reports from witnesses driving in the SSR that we have, from across the North American continent..;)

I don't know if them not scrambling away each and every time should be classed as a mistake on their part, but it possibly could, long term anyway.

6 hours ago, BobbyO said:

The best part of the Smeja stuff turned out not to be him allegedly shooting the x2 (which i think he did by the way and you can quote me on that all day, every day) because it ultimately could never be fully clarified even with the lie detector clearance, but the footage that was obtained by Bart Cutino in the subsequent investigations.

One of my best buddies in the BF world was present for that and i fully trust his words of what happened that night without fail. That footage, in my belief, shows a lot of real interesting behavioural insight in to these things too, with the watching a camp from a distance and the rock thrown in to camp, specifically.

Unfortunately, Bart followed a similar path of other bigfooters of riding off into the sunset. Former bigfooters leave the game with a lot of hours staked out in the woods. As I recall it was decent thermal footage. Convincing but from a distance. And Bart went through a lot physically to make that happen so he deserves the credit. As I recall, not everyone agreed with the footage and he had to deal with the typical naysayer backlash.

Bart's investigation is interesting if anyone wants to indulge themselves, you can find his most recent opinions on a Cliff and Bobo episode. Should be easy to find. I also dug out his YT channel which interested researchers can also find.

Edited by Arvedis

4 hours ago, vinchyfoot said:

If he wanted his 15 minutes of fame, he got it. If he poached a bear cub and this was his cover story, also understandable that he would wan to be done with it and move on. If it was a the cub, there's some karma in having it not go away so soon.

If he poached a bear cub and his cover story was that he shot 2 Sasquatches that would be absolutely insane. He would literally draw ten times the attention to himself........ That makes no sense at all that I can conceivably think of. Why would he even need a story if he was poaching bear? Who would he need to divert the attention of? 

This IMHO only really makes sense in two ways;

i) He did in fact shoot a sasquatch or two and for some reason he cannot provide the evidence or produced something he genuinely though was what he shot but in point of fact wasn't.

ii) He actually shot a bear but for attention he concocted the sasquatch story then when time came to stump up some evidence he fell short as he could only produce what he actually shot......though that does raise the question as to why produce anything at all in that case if he knew it would be bear.......

^ Bingo.  The only news of him shooting anything came from him.    There is no cover story needed.   He could either shoot, shovel and shut up or simply drove off and never spoke of it again.   

SSR Team
5 hours ago, Arvedis said:

Unfortunately, Bart followed a similar path of other bigfooters of riding off into the sunset. Former bigfooters leave the game with a lot of hours staked out in the woods.

Mr C can still be coaxed out in to a forest, he was up in WA doing bits in 2020 at some stage, September i think it was. 

On 4/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, MIB said:

The story has gotten twisted up a bit.     This is not right.    Justin's BOOTS were tested by Sykes.   The outcome was no recoverable / testable DNA.   The boots with the blood had been worn for a year or so after the shooting and had been immersed in salt water a time or two.   The outcome was no surprise.    The test showing bear was done by Trent University.    It was arranged through Bart Cutino.   The chain of evidence on that sample was broken.    The shooting happened, Justin and his buddy panicked and left, and they didn't return for a period of weeks.    They recovered some frozen flesh and hair from under the snow in the same general location.    Justin provided part of that sample to Melba Ketchum.    It was one of her 109 or 110 samples that she said tested positive as bigfoot.   Some time later she asked him to destroy the rest of the sample with bleach so it could not be tested.   (Justin provided a recording of the phone call where she asked this.   It was on YouTube at one time.   This is not in question except by Ketchum supporters.)   At that point, Justin smelled a rat.     Through Bart Cutino, the retesting was arranged and the results were 100% black bear.     This should not be a surprise.   The location of the shooting, the location of the sample recovery, is a place I'm told hunters often gut and sometimes skin game before returning to town.    That discarded bear hide with a little meat was found has no bearing on whether or not Justin shot 2 bigfoots as claimed, it only shows that what was recovered, later, under the snow was bear.  

People on both sides try to read too much into it.    In the end the only thing really proven, via the recorded phone call between Justin Smeja and Melba Ketchum, is that Ketchum was trying to get him to destroy evidence of her apparently fraudulent claims about her lab results.   

MIB

I was refreshing my memory on this trail of events and found Dr. Haskell V Hart's analysis : https://bigfootclaims.blogspot.com/p/bart-cutino-report.html. He says a sample was contaminated by Justin's DNA. Maybe that is the broken chain of evidence you mention above.

I now recall Bart's efforts got scrutinized quite a bit in 2013. Here is a breakdown of the Cutino footage that he took on his subsequent investigations in the area of the shootings. He found a party of bigfoots on his grainy thermal, which was the best available outcome given the tech he had with him.

Edited by Arvedis