Justin Smeja Incident?

Wooly Booger

7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

That is one of the several character assassination lines surrounding his story, but how so? We should expect to hear that Smeja is/was a poacher, baby rapist, right-wing conspirator, and general scoundrel, but the event supposedly occurred in October, which is during classic fall bear hunting season, not to mention deer season. Did Smeja have poaching convictions in the past? Did he not have a license/tag? Was that particular spot closed to hunting? Which of the billions of California laws, regs, and rules did he violate then or in the past? What was he finally charged with after the DNA results of "bear" was decided, and why was he not charged before that just based upon their combined story?

Again, government's role in this story is as mysterious and suspicious as his, if not more so.

I am not trying to character assassinate the guy, wasn’t he arrested for hunting without tags?

“There are some alleged games being played with those tags for hunting deer and bear,” said Capt. Patrick Foy, with the law enforcement division of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. “

This makes it sound like a tag issue.

Anyone know what the eventual outcome of the case against him ended up being?

3 minutes ago, WSA said:

Someday a BF is going to be either filmed or shot by a person who doesn't swear, use drugs, drink, fornicate or fail to call his Mother every Sunday. When that happens, the expected narrative will be it is too good to be true.

What’s your point?

To me, the fact that he might have been involved in poaching beyond this case makes his actions and statements concerning the Bigfoot shooting all the more believable.  

If it was something that he had been previously involved with...that kind of takes away from the ‘he shot a bear, panicked, and then made up a crazy story’ angle.

17 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I am not trying to character assassinate the guy.......

I know that. My point is that somebody can be expected to do so. That's just how everything is now. 

.......wasn’t he arrested for hunting without tags?.......

“There are some alleged games being played with those tags for hunting deer and bear,” said Capt. Patrick Foy, with the law enforcement division of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. “

This makes it sound like a tag issue.........

I don't know what the charges were or the outcome. Moreover, that statement, including the words "tags", indicates that he did have tags. The legal issue appears to be the proper use of them. 

Maybe Capt. Foy wisely waited until the independent (and privately funded) DNA analysis came back as bear, then charged Smeja in order to put the expected finality on the situation (whether Smeja was convicted of anything or not), and watched the whole thing die yet another mysterious sasquatch death amongst the public like all other similar stories.

Who can say otherwise? This lawyeresque narrative building can work both ways, and I rather enjoy putting the Captain Foys of California in the final spotlight, since they so fully escaped ALL accountability in the PG film event.

25 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What’s your point?.........

I'll assume that the point is that there is NEVER an end to denial.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

What’s your point?

To me, the fact that he might have been involved in poaching beyond this case makes his actions and statements concerning the Bigfoot shooting all the more believable.  

If it was something that he had been previously involved with...that kind of takes away from the ‘he shot a bear, panicked, and then made up a crazy story’ angle.

I'm inclined to agree.  If he really did illegally shoot a bear than he more than likely would have kept his mouth shut about the entire affair and hoped that nobody found out about it.  

The only thing he is guilty of IMO is negligence.  Failing to bring in the specimen. I am not saying that he definitely killed a Bigfoot, only that his story seems fairly plausible. 

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Anyone know what the eventual outcome of the case against him ended up being?

He paid or is paying some type of fine. No jail, just entanglements. Whatever they charged him with did not include bigfoot. 

Another indication he did not make up lies just for the sake of attracting legal trouble. He may have underestimated or not understood CA F&G interest in the matter.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:53 PM, cromag said:

Norseman, it's been quite awhile since i've read about the Smeja shooting, but did he find the female body?

The big one was not female.   People ASSUMED, because it had the 2 little ones with it, that it was female.    That assumption set Justin off ... I remember him ranting about people's mistaken assumptions in an interview he did.

MIB

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:24 PM, Arvedis said:

He paid or is paying some type of fine. No jail, just entanglements. Whatever they charged him with did not include bigfoot. 

Another indication he did not make up lies just for the sake of attracting legal trouble. He may have underestimated or not understood CA F&G interest in the matter.

I believe it was related to poaching, which helped my theory along that he poached a bear cub. His story is all over the place and 99% pure BS. I say he's a hoaxer. And a poacher.

Vinchyfoot...trying to follow you here...your premise is that what he claims to have been a BF,  he actually knew to be a bear cub?  If so, that seems like a very bizarre way to cover up a poaching crime, since it is no real cover-up at all. Of course, if you tend to disbelieve his story, who is to say you are not right, due to a lack of proof. But, poachers don't as a rule voluntarily tell about ANY details of an illegal kill, let alone go back looking for a sample that would incriminate themselves. I think we can all agree on that.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, vinchyfoot said:

I believe it was related to poaching, which helped my theory along that he poached a bear cub. His story is all over the place and 99% pure BS. I say he's a hoaxer. And a poacher.

So, let’s say that he’s a poacher...does it all of the time And has apparently gotten away with it before.

This time, all he has to do to get away with it is to cover the bodies and be quiet about it.  But, he then decides to concoct a story that is guaranteed to do nothing but gain attention.  A lot of attention...on a national scale.  He then sticks with that story and knowingly turns over bear meat to the DNA study, knowing that this will definitely bring F&W down on his head.

That makes zero sense.  If he had poached a bear, by far the easiest thing to do would have been to just shut up afterwards.  If he was an experienced poacher his account doesn’t make sense.  If he was a first time poacher his account doesn’t make sense.  Heck, it doesn’t make sense that he was just making it up...because it looks like it’s gained him nothing but negative results.  Why stick to the story?

Another thing that rings true about his account is the fact that it hasn’t continued to evolve over the years.  Hoaxers like the spotlight, and when the original story begins to fade out of the public’s attention they will expand upon that story.  Something new will happen.  They will ‘remember’ something new.  Justin’s story stays consistent...shot the big one, then shot the little one and watched it die.  End of story.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vinchyfoot said:

Most places I know? It’s not illegal to shoot a cub. It’s frowned upon, but not illegal. Bears don’t grow antlers to tell sex and age. So there is no simple demarcation line with bears. A good guide can tell sex and age just by looking at a bear. But many hunters cannot.

• Thanks 1

Justin Story was found out on a hunting Forum by Derek. This is how it was brought out to the Bigfoot world. So if Derek did not see his story on this hunting forum no one would have known who Justin even was. So that's where this story should have started in the first place. It was by pure chance that Derek came across this story and happen to follow up on it. So it was by pure chance that this story came out into the open. 

4 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

Justin Story was found out on a hunting Forum by Derek. This is how it was brought out to the Bigfoot world. So if Derek did not see his story on this hunting forum no one would have known who Justin even was. So that's where this story should have started in the first place. It was by pure chance that Derek came across this story and happen to follow up on it. So it was by pure chance that this story came out into the open. 

Derek was/is a member of the forum?

20 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Derek Randles of the Olympic Project.  He used to post here.

I don’t know if it has already been linked here, but here’s the interview that Smeja did that caused a rift between him and the Olympic Project.

Apparently, he says here that he wanted to shoot the juvenile, not that he did so out of fear like he had previously stated.  

32 minutes ago, Wooly Booger said:

Yes, he was. He was frustrated on how he was being treated here by members on this forum. So he bugged out.  It was a shame too since he allot to offer to the forum.  Like I have said there were allot of great researchers who have bugged out from the forum. I wish that they would return.  

7 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

Yes, he was. He was frustrated on how he was being treated here by members on this forum. So he bugged out.  It was a shame too since he allot to offer to the forum.  Like I have said there were allot of great researchers who have bugged out from the forum. I wish that they would return.  

I do too.  Would you mind sharing there usernames? Perhaps a good PM would draw them back.