Norse’s trail cam pics

norseman

BFF Patron
6 hours ago, Huntster said:

That particular cat was the most murderous cat I've ever seen. Mrs. Huntster has had several over th years here. That one was a stray that showed up one day crying at the door in sub-zero temps and decided to stick around. She must have been living feral for a time, because she was an incredible huntress. All the other cats we've had didn't kill like she did.

I wish I had a cat that would kill off the red squirrels or catch me a sasquatch.

The last red squirrel in my neighborhood was killed and eaten by an old WWI vet long since passed (his widow now passed squealed on him). Some of the bobcats in my neighborhood would stare down a sasquatch, tough sumbeeches. 

Edited by bipedalist

50 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

The last red squirrel in my neighborhood was killed and eaten by an old WWI vet long since passed..........

The last red squirrel I ate was a long, long time ago. Reminds me of a tiny jackrabbit in toughness. I decided to let the old WWI vets have them, but those guys all died off. Now I'm awash in squirrels. Mrs. Huntster gets squirrely if I shoot them and toss their carcasses into the woods, so I started catching them in a live trap and driving them to the nearest native village. Mrs. Huntster is happier, but if those natives ever catch me, they might burn me at the stake..........

I need a pet marten........

Something attracting the squirrels, like bird food? I've heard that relocated animals usually don't make it, but squirrels could prove that wrong. 

Wild kingdom in my backyard one time, interrupted cat nearly on a squirrel with baby, she tossed baby to escape and I distracted cat, then she went right back for the baby. Never a dull moment!

1 hour ago, JKH said:

Something attracting the squirrels, like bird food?........

Yeah, a pair of bird feeders. We only feed after the first snow coverage and stop in April when patches if Earth start showing. I love the birds. I don't mind the squirrels getting a share, too, but eventually they get in trouble; break into a shed, build a nest in the bbq, etc. As soon as they start getting on the deck, they get a free trip to Eklutha. 

........I've heard that relocated animals usually don't make it, but squirrels could prove that wrong........

I've heard that red squirrels won't make it, but they show up here out if nowhere, and relocation beats a lead pellet @ 500 fps. It's far enough away and across a river that never freezes all the way, so they don't return. Maybe the natives like them?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see 3 cats every day……

Last pic of deer on the camera couple days before.

IMG_0424.png

IMG_0425.png

IMG_0426.png

IMG_0427.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No you don’t! Totally amazing. Likely mom and two grown “kittens”

or triplets?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wolfjewel said:

No you don’t! Totally amazing. Likely mom and two grown “kittens”

or triplets?

It’s a mom with twins. Don’t see that every day!

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

How did you get those big kitties to eat hay?

Just rub some Moose and Deer on it I guess!

• Haha 1

Local Global News here in BC had footage of 4 cougars strolling down a snowy laneway in the Deep Cove area of North Vancouver tonight!

• Like 1

The last time I ate a cat was my lunch of cougar stew today. I have about 15 pounds of steaks and 45 pounds of burger left from filling my cougar tag in October. It was following me at 18 steps. I came to a fork in the cat road in the timber during deer season. As I was contemplating which road to take, I saw a flickering going on out of the corner of my eye. It was its tail. It was straight on so I aimed for between the eyes. My shot was a little off and I shot it in the right eye. Very good meat, very mild similar to a pork chop. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

This is it a couple of weeks before I shot it. It was 80 pounds.

IMG_3585_1394032664264832.jpg

This is it now. I did all the taxidermy myself.

Resized_20240112_220825_1193731274678272.jpg

Resized_20240112_220853_1193743934361809.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Very cool, Doug. The only time I ate cougar was about 50 years ago, at the annual game dinner held at Langley Rod and Gun Club here in BC. I seem to recall it being mild flavoured, quite nice, but I've never hunted them for meat. I've only seen 6 in all my 79 years.

3 hours ago, Doug said:

........ Very good meat, very mild similar to a pork chop. 

42 minutes ago, BC witness said:

.......I seem to recall it being mild flavoured, quite nice, but I've never hunted them for meat........

I've never eaten cougar, but I have lynx. You guys are confirming what I've heard and have deduced from documentaries on felines. Their meat is very tender and of good flavor. The lynx meat was rather light in color. If cougars were easy to hunt, they'd be popular eating. Although I've spent most of my life outside of cougar habitat, I did live or visit in southern California for a total of almost 20 years, and I never saw one in the wild. Heard one scream once in Zion NP.

In the 54 years I have spent in the woods, this was the first cougar I have seen. About 2 weeks later, I was heading into my favorite walk in unit and as rounded a sharp  corner in the road a much bigger cougar that was mostly gray, was standing on the side of the road about 10 to 12 yards in front of me. I didn't buy my second tag, so I had to watch it trot off. Seeing 2 in one year kinda made up for never seeing one all those years.