Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

Oh dear! So sorry to hear that, mesabe, but glad you're okay now. Yikes!

You two have a bunch in common.... How many people shop for hobby farms AND have gall bladder events? and have BF following them around???? 

Thanks you two, Maggie I guess if you want to keep having BF action, stay as close to rivers and streams as you can.

I forgot to mention before, my wife and her cousin who lives down the road are hatching eggs also. They do Jubilee and lavender Orpingtons, and Bluelace red wyandottes. I have a small group of partridge silkies. I love those Old E banties, used to have some of those little guys. Surgery went well, recoup is going well, should be back to work in no time, yuck.

Guest Maggie

That's kind of what I figured, I would actually LIKE to keep having some sort of activity, as I obviously find it interesting. Over the years too I have grown less and less frightened. Cautious for sure but not really scared.

That canine thing my daughter saw bothers me more than a Sasquatch. Though as I said, I do respect them.

Cool about more incubating going on!! I have a tabletop "Incuview" incubator and it is one of the best little incubators I have ever had. I am also going to be looking for another TX-6 or a Brinsea. I keep an eye on the specials. I see a lot of cheap Chinese made incubators that people say work for just a little while and then quite, so steering away from those.

Well, I am going to keep on concentrating on the Scandinavian landrace breeds and the OEGBs. If I get enough of those little guys, you are welcome to some.

If I didn't say before, we are getting a few Indian Runner ducks too and almost four year old grandson is SO excited. He must have been on a field trip out to a farm because his mother said he wants to take care of the ducklings as he likes them nibbling his fingers, lol.

I just say that if a few ducks is all it takes to make him happy, I don't have a problem with it. :)

With getting poultry, I would imagine we will see more predators around here so the dogs will have more work to do. Maybe even a Sas as I am 99 percent sure they have visited this property before the arrival of chickens or ducks...

Edited by Maggie

Cool sounds like there will lots of fun times around your place, grandkids make it even more fun, if you do end up with extra OEGB's I can either buy some or make a trade with you for some of ours. We used to have the ducks too, but they did bring foxes home with them, and now we have none.take care, and have some fun.

Guest Maggie

Since I posted this in the other site I am a member of, I didn't want to neglect posting it here as well. At the family place last night I was reading in the living room. I caught movement from the big window and saw something ducking below it. A little freaky because apparently it had been SO still up to that point and was watching. I did and didn't want to look but went over there and looked out. Nothing but as the larger share of the area isn't lot up that didn't surprise me. I am only certain of two things, considering the height of the window it was tall and also because of that it wasn't human. Later in the evening the neighbor dogs went crazy. That doesn't mean it was related though it did make me wonder.

Wow! Awesome Maggie I think they are related, and remind me so ,much of our past here on the homestead.

I remember our neighbors, about 1/2 mile away had a yard light that used to shine in our picture window every night.

Once it was my grand-daughter and I watching TV at night, and we both turned at the same time to look at the window, which was completely black, from something blocking the light between their house and ours.

Your situation maybe perfect for making a little flower bed or something for it to step in and leave a track. I take it your dogs didn't detect it's presence or weren't there. ,

Guest Maggie

That's really cool mesabe! I think that they look at us as "Sasquatch" TV or " human fishbowls".   My mom does have some sort of smaller growth under that window against the house but it's all spongy, no dirt.  As far as the dogs, the only time I take them out to the family place is when my parents aren't in residence, neither of them likes inside dogs and my dogs aren't being left outside. My dogs are better off here with my son.  Speaking of dogs, WATCH YOURS. There are some idiots and it is thought they are a ring, stealing dogs in MN-WI-IA.  They think he-they are luring them with raw meat. The vehicle is supposed to be, or at least the one they have seen is a white truck with a silver toolbox. Of course that does in no way mean they don't use anything else. I hope they catch them. :(

Thanks for the heads up. We always have local news stories about stolen dogs, etc A couple yrs. ago, I was doing something outside, and my white shephard was out with me.I was partially hidden behind some sheds, but saw a silver van slow down and stop in front of our driveway. A lady had jumped out and was trying to lure him into a side door. When I stepped out, she saw me and they split.. A man couldn't have lured him, but I'm not so sure about a woman.

I'm glad your courage is getting stronger to look out windows.

@Maggie,  did you check for tracks?

The family of a friend of mine has a story from long ago- this is at a lake cabin up north near Emily where I found a trackway a few years ago.

The story is decades old. My friend's aunt was napping in the cabin and awoke, thinking that she had seen a bear was looking in the window. A search for bear tracks yielded nothing. The window height off the ground was an issue- as black bears are the only species around here that would have been a pretty big black bear on its hind legs. No so weird for a BF though- and if her husband was looking for bear tracks he might have paid no attention to tracks that might have looked human.  Its a very unsubstantiated story. I only bring it up because I've heard wood knocks there for decades and I found a barefoot human track in the bog on their land- where there are no trails. That track was part of a trackway of about 15 tracks that I found. The thing is, why would a barefoot human be trespassing on their land where there are no trails?

• Upvote 1

Guest Maggie

Hi salubrious! No tracks but that wasn't too surprising because as of Sunday night the ground wasn't really condusive to tracks. I wish it would have happened after all this rain!   Thank you for the story of your friends aunt.  I do think they are curious, maybe young ones? Could be young Sas are just a mischievous and curious as human children.  Also very cool about the wood knocks and tracks you found. I'm not sure what wood knocks mean to them...hunting? Warning? But I have heard them as well. I have told this before but early one morning when I was taking care of dogs at the family place ( housesitting one summer) I heard the knocks and also a very loud vocalization, a "HEY!!" that echoed through the valley.   When I was at my parents and heard coyote my mind went off on another track. I might have mentioned it before.  One night several years ago in October at the family place, we had the dogs out fairly early in the evening to go to the bathroom. It was dark. We heard what SOUNDED similar to coyote but was entirely TOO loud and it was like they were all over the surrounding bluffs and fields. I didn't then and I don't now,believe they were coyotes however similar they SOUNDED.

• salubrious unlocked this topic