Minnesota Update Of Sorts(Shrug)

Guest Maggie

"To me, it's sort of like swimming in life's stream and following the currents that pull at you the hardest." I love it. What a great way to describe the experience of following your intuition. 

About dogs: I agree 1,000% with mesabe about dogs! Down to the last detail. 

I would only add this: Because your BF people know you so well, Maggie, they are going to have respect for your animals (and they haven't bothered them so far, so that's a SUPER good sign). I have a BF friend who does not like dogs, but when I've been out in the woods with a human friend and this person's dogs, the BF hasn't done anything to the dogs. (But I've heard that the BF has no qualms about killing coyotes who are causing him and his cohort problems.) As mesabe points out, this is partly a personality thing; this particular BF I'm talking about is a very honorable individual.

I also have a female BF friend, and she LOVES dogs. She HAS a dog. So you just never know. 

But the truth is, most BF who show any interest at all in us want to "do right" by us. As mesabe says, they have to learn to live with our dogs, if that's who we have around us, and the good news is, if they like us, they're usually more than willing to do that. 

And you're right, having a dog that stays close to you is key! The BF, again, as mesabe said, could get fussed if the dogs are off-leash and run after them. (The human friend I mentioned above has a recording of a BF vocalizing in what sounded like an alarmed way when the friend's off-leash dogs ran up on the BF. Many of them are afraid of our dogs! So it's best to make sure the dogs are close to you at all times. Then, there's no reason for the BF to get fussed and possibly feel they have to take a defensive action that could hurt the dog.)

If you are concerned that your BF might not be good with your dogs, for whatever reason, I would recommend talking to them directly about it. (I know, what a surprise, that I would say that!) I would just go out in the backyard one day and say to the woods, "I have been thinking about you and my dogs, and I'm hoping you're okay with them. My dogs are very precious to me. Please don't harm them. And I will do all I can to make sure that they don't interfere with your lives." The puppy might be a great excuse to do this. You could introduce her to them, and say this when you do.  

That's all you really need to do. But I really appreciate your attitude ("I figure if we were in danger, all bets are off, and we might as well all die -- or live -- together"). Totally agree! Really, it's hard to live any other way. This life is tough. Having a great attitude (which you do), however, helps -- not only to deal with whatever difficult things happen, but to limit the number of difficult things that DO happen (imo).  

• Upvote 1

Thanks mesabe! I have to agree with what you have said. In hiking, I would definitely have the dog on a leash And would be sure to leave if there was the first sign of trouble, not push it.  That's just common sense.

I had something else to add about dogs at home. The ones that I HAVE heard of dying seemed to be mostly outside dogs or dogs left to their own devices at night. Or as you mentioned, dogs left loose in the woods and such. Now I KNOW there are people that have dogs like that and that is up to them. In my experience though, I LIKE a dog living inside with me, going out when I do, being a member of the family. That's just me. I am sure there are many dog/sas incidents where a sas is around the house and the dog is annoying the hell out of the sas. Obviously some sas have shorter tempers than others.

As for me, I would feel badly about leaving a dog outside, even if I eventually get a farm I am sure the dogs will be in the house with me and if there was a dog that absolutely HAD to be outside during the day, at night he/she would be in the house, a porch, a garage, a shed or a barn. Same with any animal on the place. My dogs are, like I said, are part of my family and my friends.

I am working on socializing the pup as much as I can with the people I want her to know. I should have done more of this with the Cane Corso, but live and learn. He is strictly a one person dog though he will tolerate family members. From what they said about Neos, they love the whole family and will guard the whole family. In my personal opinion, these are a couple of the best breeds to have in an area where there could be Sasquatch. Of course it depends on how you train them. Since having the primitive mastiffs and enjoy them so much I could be a bit biased,lol. 

Leaf Talker, I promise I wasn't ignoring you, only saw your response after answering mesabes,lol.

You are right, with the exception of ONE dog I have never had any problems here with anything happening to my dogs.(animal related. I did have a horrible person that tried to poison my dogs a long time ago and also had a couple of people try to call one of my dogs over to them to steal them. Hence my dogs inside when I am and outside when I am. That said, anyone who wants to grab a full grown Cane Corso is a bit of a moron....and the same with the Neo when she is grown. She already will bark and won't go to just anyone.)

The one that went missing was a black German Shepherd. I had him the same time as I had a Westie. One night (yet another reason my dogs are always in at night), the Westie dug himself and Baron (the shepherd) out of the back fence. This was when we had been having some really weird things which I attribute to something strange around the house in the first year or so we were here. The Westie came back. The Shepherd didn't. Nobody had seen hide nor hair of him either. It was odd, not even signs of being hit on the road and I looked and talked to everyone, called people etc. etc.  I figure something got him, or just possibly someone stole him.  Though at my aunts place down the road, she has had many dogs come up just missing, with again, no clues as to what happened. I gave her a rat terrier once and an English Shepherd another time. Both disappeared. The dog she has now stays in the house and garage and she has had her for a number of years. I remember one year, dogs went missing left and right, in the country and from town.  "Missing" notices up all over the place. Though that could mean some thief getting hold of them and re-selling them. I don't make THAT easy for anyone either lol. They would have to have some guts to take on what I have here. The odds aren't good of them walking off with what they came for either.

I have been here quite a while now and it's possible the local crew knows I don't let the dogs bother them, or maybe just the fact I don't give the dogs a chance TO bother them or be in the line of fire if there is a Sas that doesn't like them!

Oh gosh, no worries.... 

That's a little disquieting, all those disappearances. :( (And the attempted poisoning and abductions. Yikes!)

If the disappearances were BF-related, I think the BF like the dogs, though.

If the Westie and the Shepherd had been spending lots of time in the yard unattended, the BF might've been petting them and handling them and loving them up when nobody was around... The Westie digging to get out sort of suggests that -- that s/he was trying to join someone s/he felt affection for. So maybe the Shepherd became someone's loyal companion. (Some people I know worry about that much more than they do about their dogs getting 'consumed'. It's actually a great sign that the Westie came back, now that I think of it... S/he was not harmed, so harming dogs is probably not in the minds of your particular hairy neighbors.)

But anyway, it's great that the dogs stay in the house with you now. You're right, it's a great hedge against any potential problems! And yeah, it sounds like no human is going to tangle with Nyla when she's grown. She sounds like such a rockstar! I'm so glad you have her. 

On 11/23/2016 at 4:14 PM, LeafTalker said:

I also have a female BF friend, and she LOVES dogs. She HAS a dog. So you just never know. 

But the truth is, most BF who show any interest at all in us want to "do right" by us. As mesabe says, they have to learn to live with our dogs, if that's who we have around us, and the good news is, if they like us, they're usually more than willing to do that. 

And you're right, having a dog that stays close to you is key! The BF, again, as mesabe said, could get fussed if the dogs are off-leash and run after them. (The human friend I mentioned above has a recording of a BF vocalizing in what sounded like an alarmed way when the friend's off-leash dogs ran up on the BF. Many of them are afraid of our dogs! So it's best to make sure the dogs are close to you at all times. Then, there's no reason for the BF to get fussed and possibly feel they have to take a defensive action that could hurt the dog.)

If you are concerned that your BF might not be good with your dogs, for whatever reason, I would recommend talking to them directly about it. (I know, what a surprise, that I would say that!) I would just go out in the backyard one day and say to the woods, "I have been thinking about you and my dogs, and I'm hoping you're okay with them. My dogs are very precious to me. Please don't harm them. And I will do all I can to make sure that they don't interfere with your lives." The puppy might be a great excuse to do this. You could introduce her to them, and say this when you do. 

You ladies all have great attitudes and kindness toward ALL the critters, which is most commendable. I think you're mostly right, but there are probably exceptions. I remember that Bear and Coonbo have stated that the BFs think dogs are yummy, too. So once again, they've a broad spectrum of behaviors. Also, Leafy, your dog relations statement made me laugh, because I recall Coonbo had a situation in one place he lived where he had to talk to the "boogers" sternly about not messing with his dogs, after which they did not.

Oh, on edit, that's cool about the BF friend with a dog, have you seen it? Interesting about the recording, also!

Edited by JKH

9 hours ago, JKH said:

You ladies all have great attitudes and kindness toward ALL the critters, which is most commendable.

And mesabe, too! (Who I think is a guy -- but please correct me if that's wrong, mesabe.) And I know you have that same attitude! 

I think you're mostly right, but there are probably exceptions. I remember that Bear and Coonbo have stated that the BFs think dogs are yummy, too. So once again, they've a broad spectrum of behaviors. Also, Leafy, your dog relations statement made me laugh, because I recall Coonbo had a situation in one place he lived where he had to talk to the "boogers" sternly about not messing with his dogs, after which they did not.

I think there are exceptions, but it seems they're rare. And I agree, I think the BF eat a lot of things, but they have an awareness that we "own" animals and objects; and if the BF in question are BF who have been around you a fair amount and know you, that awareness takes precedence over the condition of their stomachs (unless they're in an extreme situation, like enduring extreme hunger). They are people, like us, and have rules of conduct, like we do (and develop feelings of partiality and protectiveness towards individuals, like we do). That's why Coonbo was able to talk to the BF around him and make the request that he did, and have that request honored. (Thanks for reminding us about that story.) And that's why anyone who is feeling concerned about the safety of their animals has good reason to be hopeful. And if you don't want to rely on hope alone, talking to the BF about your concerns is a great backup plan. :)

And I'm sorry if I'm sounding pedantic about this. I totally want to respect other people's opinions, and I certainly respect yours! But I'm always a little vigilant when it comes to discussions that could appear to establish, for the casual reader, some kind of benchmark for measuring the trustworthiness (and human-ness) of the BF. That benchmark needs to be drawn quite high, in my opinion, to be one that reflects the reality of the situation. And my real aim in advocating for the drawing of the benchmark where I feel it should properly be drawn is simply to help create an environment in which they will be safe.

So I'm not saying any of this to you. The BF are safe with YOU, I know! :) I'm speaking to anyone who might be new to this, and is unsure what to think, and is perhaps a little on the fearful side and inclined to grab at things that confirm their fears. 

Oh, on edit, that's cool about the BF friend with a dog, have you seen it? Interesting about the recording, also!

I haven't seen her dog. I've just been told about it. (She had a raccoon for a while, too. I don't know if she still does. She may no longer have the dog, either, now that I think of it.) :) And yeah, recordings can be SO helpful, especially if you're skilled at teasing out their underlying narratives. That's one skill I definitely do not have, but really envy!

My instinctual opinion on this is that is varies from Sasquatch to Sasquatch. Just like human beings have their food cravings, I am sure there are Sas that believe dogs are "Yummy". Or Sas that simply don't like dogs for whatever reasons.

Thanks for the compliment JKH. I try to be kind and have a good attitude but no lie, I do fall off that wagon sometimes,lol.

On another note, I experienced nothing at the family place when I was there after Thanksgiving at my sisters house. Though myself and son on the way back to the family place from my sisters took a road out of Lake City called "Territorial". It is supposedly the road the stagecoach used to take long ago. Anyway, there was a few minutes of silence and then my son said, " I wouldn't want to live along here. I bet some freaky things happen along this road".  Looking out into the dark I couldn't help but agree with him.:)

There was a bit of Bigfoot talk with some family members at the table after Thanksgiving dinner. It was a mixed bag of conversation, some interesting talk with plenty of ridicule thrown in. I think the ones that were laughing thought that if they did that, I would back down. Instead I said that with all of the experiences I have had in my life, my opinion could never be the same as theirs, but they were welcome to whatever they thought. :) 

I have been thinking about something so just wanted to ask.

Has anybody ever had an uncomfortable feeling after seeing a Sas, I don't mean emotionally, not sure how to put this, but almost feel like you have some sort of film over you? I have called it "energy sludge" lol.   That said, I have NOT ever felt this in association with what I believe was a Sasquatch, though I certainly had an elevated level of fright that was unusual to my character during the experience but it didn't linger.

Now,  the experience a couple years ago with that canine whatever it was, left "something". A different type of fear that I would almost consider paranoia for a couple of months and a very uncomfortable feeling.

Does any of that sound like infrasound?

Heya Maggie, Wow that is a little over my head. I think I know what you mean, but I only experienced a feeling that I may be losing my mind, with a little paranoia thrown in. I also had a severe fear of going in the woods, day or night for a few yrs.

It's okay. I wasn't sure how to explain it , lol. I have been thinking on it for a while. I can see where you would feel a bit paranoid. Thinking on this also made me remember as a teenager, reading outside and all of a sudden feeling like I was being watched from the woodline and all the hair raising up on my neck and wanting to be out of view of the closest area of woods. I suppose that could be related to all the other experiences. Now? I have a very difficult time going into the woods and even walking on the road next to the woods. (family place)  It's a different sort of fear though compared to the other "stuff".

Yeah, over my head, too. You'll have to be our eyes and ears on this one, Maggie.... 

I guess the only thing that occurs to me to say is to talk and reach out. I think when you actively engage them in communication, it's not as freaky to get communication back from them. You start to feel it as a two-way street, a give and take. After you start up (or accept the invitation to) a dialog, any surprise indications that they're present can start to feel like a part of that dialog, instead of them acting "out of the blue", or acting upon you, if that makes any sense. (And it can feel like you're in a dialog even if some time seems to go by between your initial "tweet" and their "response tweet". It all becomes one big conversation, which I think helps with the fear. That's how it's worked for me, anyway.) 

Edited by LeafTalker

Just sharing my latest pic of Miss Nyla. I have absolutely NO regrets about this pup. This pic is her and her toys on my bed. She has grown in leaps and bounds since I got her! :)

Nyla8.jpg

My camera isn't the best,lol

Yeah, she is a big girl!! And already very alert. Plus compared to other pups I have had, SMART!! She never forgets where she left anything and knows the names of all of her toys.Though I do confess teasing her a bit with the Mr. Bill doll. She knows where I keep it so I have to get it when she is distracted. I hold it behind my back and press it. It's one of those that says "Oh Noooooooooo!!" and I keep switching sides as she looks for it. She doesn't get to chew on it too much because she already has massive shredding jaws and Bill wouldn't survive,lol.  Even the "tougher" stuffed animals I have for her haven't faired too well, even if they don't have holes in them yet, they look pretty ragged. 

Fun! Sounds like my dog I have now in the smartness. I remember buying him rugged toys hoping they would last, and 5 min. later I am cleaning up pieces. One toy he loves is those balls sold as toys for horses. He carries it around by the handle.

You could teach her hide and seek. Take her and some toy in a quiet room like a bathroom. let her smell the toy and act like it's important. It can be anything, I used to use the cellophane from cig. packs. Leave her in the room, and hide the object. Start out easy, and gradually get more challenging. You may have to help a little at first. But your praise and love are the only rewards she will need when she does good. Of course you could up the anti a notch with a small treat. Soon she will find it quickly, wherever you hide it, under flower pots, in another room, a friends pocket, whatever.

• salubrious unlocked this topic