Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot?

airforce47

I'm firmly in the Ape camp and as such I think Bigfoot is a social animal. Yes, you can shoot and kill one. Will you be able to retrieve the body? Probably not easily. 

• Upvote 2

This thread has strayed away from shooting to sampling DNA. Normal straying activity for this forum.

For more than 3 years, hiflier has posted a plethora of info on DNA and eDNA. Thank you hiflier. 'You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink'. Some readers may wonder how to sample. I reviewed my downloads and checked the 23 page paper by the USGS about eDNA sampling protocols. Nice 'how to' pictures and an appendix with suggested supplies list. Some supplies have a high price and that may be a deterrent. 

Other samples for testing need cold storage which leads to dry ice and or liquid nitrogen. Both of those require special handling and experience. And if you can't come up with material for sampling, your ice cream will be solid for the whole trip.

hiflier, keep in mind that some researchers are operating 'under the radar' so try not to get so worked up.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Amonchris said:

I'm firmly in the Ape camp and as such I think Bigfoot is a social animal. Yes, you can shoot and kill one. Will you be able to retrieve the body? Probably not easily. 

We don’t need a complete body, a 10 lbs slab of flesh would yield 1000’s of DNA samples. Enough to place the species on the tree of life. It would be up to science to secure a type specimen then, not us.

33 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

This thread has strayed away from shooting to sampling DNA. Normal straying activity for this forum.

For more than 3 years, hiflier has posted a plethora of info on DNA and eDNA. Thank you hiflier. 'You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink'. Some readers may wonder how to sample. I reviewed my downloads and checked the 23 page paper by the USGS about eDNA sampling protocols. Nice 'how to' pictures and an appendix with suggested supplies list. Some supplies have a high price and that may be a deterrent. 

Other samples for testing need cold storage which leads to dry ice and or liquid nitrogen. Both of those require special handling and experience. And if you can't come up with material for sampling, your ice cream will be solid for the whole trip.

hiflier, keep in mind that some researchers are operating 'under the radar' so try not to get so worked up.

Just a simple address to ship DNA samples to.

Prof. John Doe

12345 Washington Ave

Portland, Oregon 98765

Im more than happy to collect samples. I live in a good spot. I’m not going to pay for it. And I’m not going to do the leg work.🤷‍♂️

46 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

This thread has strayed away from shooting to sampling DNA.

... keep in mind that some researchers are operating 'under the radar' so try not to get so worked up.

^ exactly!  I just checked and, my supply of liquid nitrogen is running low.  :biggrin:  Not sure why anyone would post a picture of purported genetic mutations and then scold the other participants here if we don't know where that image came from, or exactly how to interpret it.  Since this topic is:  Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot?, one might wonder if posts re: DNA collection as being the only worthy endeavor in the world of Bigfoot research, might do better in a topic that is actually about DNA?

To address the OP, I'd say yes, one could definitely shoot a Bigfoot.  Almost anything that exists can be shot, if it is in range.  I personally think that is the wrong approach.  I would sooner try to lasso one (which has actually been suggested here as a viable possibility! :rolleyes: lol) than to shoot one, unless of course it was attacking, which pretty much goes without saying..   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Prof. John Doe

12345 Washington Ave

Portland, Oregon 98765

A sense of humor is required.

I would rather deal with Prof. Jane Doe.

The city of Tear Gas Teddy is not the place to go to.

WAZZU. The USGS paper was prepared in conjunction with WAZZU..............your area, sort of.  

6 hours ago, xspider1 said:

one might wonder if posts re: DNA collection as being the only worthy endeavor in the world of Bigfoot research, might do better in a topic that is actually about DNA?

Or in a subforum specifically created for the topic of DNA....🤔🤔

My posts are here due to the thread title "Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot." Because My two internal responses were "why would you?" and "no, you can't."

Why would you runs the gamut of all of the usual social/moral arguments, and no, you can't  is based on hunter experiences, including NAWAC's. But to just say either of those things and just leave everything hanging without having an alternative didn't seem to add anything of value to the discussion. But if there was an alternative to shooting one- considering all of the past failures to do so (some we know about, some we don't) then clarifying the method seemed the right thing to do.

Most folks know how to fire a gun. Many Bigfooters hunt and are highly experienced as hunters but there's been zero results. So CAN one shoot a Bigfoot? I seriously doubt it if most believe that a Bigfoot knows that your in the woods long before you know it is. There's a lot of contradiction in that area but what if someone has already collected Bigfoot DNA? Personally, I think the thread title should read "Would One Be ABLE To Shoot A Bigfoot." I seriously doubt the opportunity would arise. All the discussions on smelling gun oil, knowing what guns do, Bigfoot being experienced with the a history of the firestick, etc.

And then there's all those videos that get discussed here. Just how many of those show a real Bigfoot? How many show a man in a suit? Most discussions revolve around that conundrum and never arrive at a definitive answer. It tells me that in the field a hunter would be even more hard pressed to arrive at that definitive answer and be confident enough to pull the trigger. Ten pounds of Bigfoot WOULD put the matter to rest and there's no question about that. But IMO it will never happen. But let's say it did, then even if the flesh is unrecognizable regarding what it came from, Norseman said DNA can be obtained from it- which is true. But DNA can be obtained from only ten micro-grams of Bigfoot as well, or even way less. So, for "Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot" my answer is one doesn't have to anymore. Because that creature, if it's out there? Leaves microscopic and genetic pieces of itself all over the environment- including in the air. So again, IMHO, is every bit as good as shooting one, and in every case (considering the risks) it's a much better choice. 

Edited by hiflier

Asking one's self if they are good enough in the field to not become a 411 is another pertinent and realistic question to ask. And whether or not there be only one in the area, since most say that there won't BE only one, is another.

Edited by hiflier

8 hours ago, norseman said:

........a 10 lbs slab of flesh would yield 1000’s of DNA samples. Enough to place the species on the tree of life. It would be up to science to secure a type specimen then, not us.

It's been up to Science to secure the DNA and the type specimen all along, not us.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Personally, I think the thread title should read "Would One Be ABLE To Shoot A Bigfoot." I seriously doubt the opportunity would arise.

I agree the chances are pretty slim although there was an opportunity to do so on October 20, 1967.

8 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Asking one's self if they are good enough in the field to not become a 411 is another pertinent and realistic question to ask.

This is a critical issue and where people can get themselves in a heap of trouble. As with any endeavor, you only become good at it if you continually practice and are open to learning new skills and approaches. Overestimating one's skills or not understanding the potential dangers that lie ahead are two ways to find yourself in a bad situation.  Ask any SAR member like me.

8 hours ago, norseman said:

.......Im more than happy to collect samples. I live in a good spot. I’m not going to pay for it...........

Yeah, billing citations are key. Science needs it? So do you and I.

52 minutes ago, hiflier said:

My posts are here due to the thread title "Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot." Because My two internal responses were "why would you?" and "no, you can't.".............

"Why would you?" isn't even a valid question if you are presented with a good shot and you advocate discovery to occur, although I agree that those are extremely tall odds, even if you work toward getting that shot. 

If, like me, you don't care if discovery occurs, "why would you" becomes a very valid question, but then, that also applies to the collection, analysis, and publication of DNA.

"No you can't" is completely invalid. Yes, you can, and people have reported doing so. Whether or not that results in discovery is another question altogether.

..........Personally, I think the thread title should read "Would One Be ABLE To Shoot A Bigfoot." I seriously doubt the opportunity would arise.........

Agreed. And I agree that eDNA presents a better opportunity to scientifically prove existence IF you can work through the hurtles of DNA testing funding and plowing through the denials of Science. I believe that shooting a sasquatch, cutting off its foot, and delivering it to the right person (whoever that might be) would be much easier. Either desperate act still has to through government resistance, and that alone is likely impossible.

44 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Asking one's self if they are good enough in the field to not become a 411 is another pertinent and realistic question to ask.........

I have multiple experiences to answer that question, and all of them had absolutely nothing to do with sasquatchery. My dip through the ice of Big Lake in the cab of my pickup while ice fishing was the perfect potential 411 qualifier. Trying to stay alive isn't so much a matter of "good enough in the field" as it is lucky enough, persistent enough, or blessed enough by a merciful God to survive.

The "good enough" concept comes into play when considering the possibility of not getting oneself into potentially fatal trouble in the first place, and frankly, as the experiences of even the most notable adventurers and explorers of history show, that can happen to anyone.

• Upvote 1