Can You Really Shoot A Bigfoot?

airforce47

3 hours ago, norseman said:

........Show me one species in the genus Homo that didn't manufacture stone tools? You cannot. Why? Because its a defining characteristic that gets you classified into that genus in the first place!........

Correct. So far, that is the trend, not the rule.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Science requires a type specimen for classification. Two in fact. One male and one female. They don’t specify how to get it….

So if they make it impossible to obtain one, then the existing beliefs (not truths) prevail.

9 minutes ago, Huntster said:

So if they make it impossible to obtain one, then the existing beliefs (not truths) prevail.

How and who is making it impossible to obtain one?

2 hours ago, Duckman said:

How and who is making it impossible to obtain one?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/regulations/wildliferegulations/pdfs/regulations_complete.pdf1D3BCA4315BECF595B79F92305E70C68/regulations_complete.pdf

Page 7. Up at the top of the page. In red ink. Bolded and underlined.

They really mean it:

.........If the species is not listed, you MAY NOT. hunt that species.........

You might peruse through the regs, but I've never seen a season for sasquatches in any of our 26 Game Management Units.

6 hours ago, Huntster said:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/regulations/wildliferegulations/pdfs/regulations_complete.pdf1D3BCA4315BECF595B79F92305E70C68/regulations_complete.pdf

Page 7. Up at the top of the page. In red ink. Bolded and underlined.

They really mean it:

You might peruse through the regs, but I've never seen a season for sasquatches in any of our 26 Game Management Units.

That's absolute hogwash. The state of Alaska doesn't recognize sasquatch as a species, so it's open season 24/7. 

Alaska allows you to kill in self defense, and a lawyer could make a airtight case that killing a "monster" in whatever situation, is self defense. 

There is no jury in the world that would convict someone fo killing bigfoot.

6 hours ago, Duckman said:

That's absolute hogwash.........

It's in plain English, in red, bolded, and underlined. You might not like it (I don't), but there it is. It's the law. 

You MAY NOT hunt any species if it does not have a listed season in the hunting regs.

..........Alaska allows you to kill in self defense........

That is true.

.........a lawyer could make a airtight case that killing a "monster" in whatever situation, is self defense..........

That is most likely true.

.........There is no jury in the world that would convict someone fo killing bigfoot.

That is also probably true.

However, that sasquatch you shot is the property of the state, and I can guarantee that you will not acquire it. It is not listed as a legal species to hunt. It is NOT yours.

Lawyers start here at @ $5000 for a retainer for relatively minor crimes. Don't ask how I know, but I have pretty recent experience cutting a check. And any game violation means your firearm/boat/atv/plane/etc is at risk of confiscation, and your firearms rights are in jeopardy. You will pay the lawyer. Or...........you'll just follow their advice and surrender the carcass and move along quietly.............

2 hours ago, Huntster said:

It's in plain English, in red, bolded, and underlined. You might not like it (I don't), but there it is. It's the law. 

You MAY NOT hunt any species if it does not have a listed season in the hunting regs.

That is true.

That is most likely true.

That is also probably true.

However, that sasquatch you shot is the property of the state, and I can guarantee that you will not acquire it. It is not listed as a legal species to hunt. It is NOT yours.

Lawyers start here at @ $5000 for a retainer for relatively minor crimes. Don't ask how I know, but I have pretty recent experience cutting a check. And any game violation means your firearm/boat/atv/plane/etc is at risk of confiscation, and your firearms rights are in jeopardy. You will pay the lawyer. Or...........you'll just follow their advice and surrender the carcass and move along quietly.............

True. Many states are like Alaska.

But hunting seasons don’t apply to scientific research. So how do you get a permit to do scientific research? Depends on where the research is conducted. Park service, forest service, federal fish and game, state lands, BLM, etc, etc. Secondly? What accredited university do you represent? And what are your credentials? And lastly what is your subject of study?

That was my take away with talking to US fish and game. I would say your chances of drawing a federal permit to take a type specimen of a Bigfoot as Bob the Bigfoot hunter? Is nil.

2 hours ago, norseman said:

True. Many states are like Alaska.

But hunting seasons don’t apply to scientific research.........

Exactly.

.......So how do you get a permit to do scientific research? Depends on where the research is conducted. Park service, forest service, federal fish and game, state lands, BLM, etc, etc. Secondly? What accredited university do you represent? And what are your credentials? And lastly what is your subject of study?.......

Yup. You essentially have to get a permit to conduct your intended operation to collect a scientific specimen. Your permit has to have all the potential pitfalls covered by appropriate, qualified, and licensed professionals.

........That was my take away with talking to US fish and game. I would say your chances of drawing a federal permit to take a type specimen of a Bigfoot as Bob the Bigfoot hunter? Is nil.

My contention is that such a permit application, on federal lands, should be submitted even if the permit seekers have no intention of following through due to cost. I believe that it is critical to sasquatchery to get the U.S. government to begin addressing the issue, and getting them to respond to legal permit applications on paper is the appropriate beginning. 

2 hours ago, norseman said:

Yah. I’m gonna skip all that and just shoot it. 🤷‍♂️

You've got the money to pay a lawyer. I've already spent a couple hundred grand on lawyers over the course of my life. I don't want to spend another nickel paying those guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/28/2022 at 7:19 AM, gigantor said:

Wow! 

what constitutes a monster? just because something is bigger and stronger than us it does not mean it’s a monster.

Nevada would probably issue a permit.  It would take some money and implied upside in the way of publicity, but I can see them doing it.  Wouldn't be bad for a state economy based on tourism.  

I wonder what the average call to a DNR or a talk with a game warden would tell us.   I doubt many would even take the Q as a serious inquiry      Maybe a letter or Email would at least make it to someone which would create a response.  

3 hours ago, Backdoc said:

I wonder what the average call to a DNR or a talk with a game warden would tell us.   I doubt many would even take the Q as a serious inquiry      Maybe a letter or Email would at least make it to someone which would create a response.  

If Hiflier were still around he would be able to tell you.   He was in a letter/email campaign for a while.  I think the results were less than desired however.