N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

I ask again: Who owes anyone anything here? If you want definitive answers, on a definitive timetable...free will reigns for you as it does for all of us here. Get thee to the woods and let us know if you have anything you'd like to share.  I will be the last to insist you owe me a justification for your efforts, and I will be the last to insist your past results are an indicator of future performance. Enough already.  

I don't think a sportsmans or snow mobile club would complain about how much of a hardship it is and ask for donations to continue sporting or snowmobiling. But I bet if you ask any of them why they do it the response would be because they enjoy the activity and it's fun. I'm sure the nawac members response would be similar.

Well, yes and no.

Being the VP of the local Sportsman's Club and an active member of my snowmobile club (the latter of which I've drafted 2 letters to the governor and state reps asking them to support WI Assembly Bill 407) I can assure you that folks do comment on the hardship of maintaining the clubs as well as the asking for donations from businesses and individuals.  No one 'enjoys' begging folks for money, no one 'enjoys' pounding signs into frozen ground, but it's something we do b/c without us, it wouldn't get done.  We of course enjoy the activities, but without the hard work put into it, there would be no activity, not for us, not for the community.   

Regarding the sportman's club - we are very close to getting our 501C3 status.  This will help us further improve and maintain our grounds through various grants and private donations.  Helping us achieve the goals we have set forth.  If folks don't want to donate, or if the grant review board doesn't see fit to give us money, so be it.

These are hobbies, yes, but they are also there to provide options for the public and surrounding community, entertainment and activity based.  

I can't speak for NAWAC at all, but I see striking similarities between their group and any other group/club out there.

Looking for bigfoot is fun...so bigfoot isn't real.

There have been many such 'arguments.'   (Patterson is a crook so bigfoot isn't real; I can't explain [x] so bigfoot isn't real; I read a guy say to a guy who heard from a guy...so bigfoot isn't real.  Etc.)

But this is one of the more interesting ones.  Filed, and thank you for your efforts.

Guest Urkelbot

I ask again: Who owes anyone anything here? If you want definitive answers, on a definitive timetable...free will reigns for you as it does for all of us here. Get thee to the woods and let us know if you have anything you'd like to share.  I will be the last to insist you owe me a justification for your efforts, and I will be the last to insist your past results are an indicator of future performance. Enough already.

The nawac owes me duh. Life is short I want an answer then I can move on from all this Bigfoot stuff whatever the final verdict may be.

I'm not frustrated.  I've always enjoyed boxing the ears of the slow students. (Especially when they tell me they're scientists.  I box 'em hard then.)

You?  Now that's frustration.  Just gave you the prescription.

Would you think your hand was real if you weren't looking at it?  A similar affliction affects bigfoot skeptics.

The nawac owes me duh. Life is short I want an answer then I can move on from all this Bigfoot stuff whatever the final verdict may be.

Ha! I do think some feel that Urkelbot. To them I just suggest they may need another interest to pursue. Stamp collecting? Train spotting maybe? Some just aren't good with uncertainty and mystery. It isn't for everyone, after all. 

DWA all but guaranteed NAWAC would have a body on a slab within the year.

No they didn't. 

I can assure you that folks do comment on the hardship of maintaining the clubs as well as the asking for donations from businesses and individuals.  No one 'enjoys' begging folks for money...

For the record, we don't beg anyone for money. We do essentially zero proactive fundraising. We are totally self-sufficient through membership dues and additional donations of goods and services from our membership. Every few years we have a conference which is a roll of the dice and, on average, costs just a little less than we make from it. If the NAWAC was doing public broadcasting-type pledge drives or was ringing a bell next to a little red kettle in front of the Walmart over the holidays, that would be one thing. But we do nothing of the kind.

While we'll always want more gear and tech, what we really need is bodies to do work. If you're the kind of person who wants to push back from their keyboard and put their boots on the ground to help resolve this question, the NAWAC might be a good fit for you. 

Also, we promise nothing to anyone except our hard work and dedication. My *belief* is we will succeed in our efforts but that's as far as it goes. Neither I nor anyone else in our group has ever said anything else. If you say we have, prove it. 

I can't speak for NAWAC at all, but I see striking similarities between their group and any other group/club out there.

And my comments are not directed at you. I only used them to make a point. 

Guest Stan Norton

Almost all science is open science in the sense all most scientists publish journals that can be accessed by anyone. Not counting scientists who work for coperations, military, etc

I'd argue that science is an approach and a mindset rather than a rigid methodology. There is academic science (this includes e.g. commercial medical science) which does indeed require publication on a constant basis. However, it is perfectly possible for amateurs to act scientifically and produce entirely valid research. There are armies of volunteer field researchers all over the world producing fantastic work on myriad topics and thank goodness for them. In my opinion, NAWAC are operating in a scientific manner...this is unfortunately all too infrequent in the world of sasquatch research.

It's my assessment that, once again, the cost-benefit ratio of continuing to participate in this conversation has tipped into the red for me. I won't be contributing to this thread until there's something new to report. 

Guest zenmonkey

....dang it guys....I think the most important question we could ever ask Bipto is HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU GUYS SLEEP IN THE SUMMER???? Especially when it gets up to 100 and above!

Edited by zenmonkey

Bipto is right, so much wasting of time and energy.  The thread was started to discuss the research

going on, not arguing it's validity or methods.  While I too have registered my concerns I think the NWAC

has every right to their method and approach, and I for one would like to hear more about what is going

on in the research area.  Thanks Bipto for your patience with us all, and I hope we can bring some relevance

back into the conversation.

• Upvote 2