Military Expedition To Find A Squatch...

Guest HarryAbe

Guest HarryAbe

Anyone ever wonder why nobody has convinced the DOD to send out a group of Marine Corps Recon or Navy Seals to search for a squatch in a squatchy area? My thoughts would be to replace the bullets with tranquilizers for an animal around 700-800lbs.

When I was in the Marines, we were always doing "other" jobs that fell far outside the scope of anything considered defense of the nation and who better to go out and search? Marines are used to being in the woods all night, we were all pretty fearless and very disciplined when it came to making noise and whatnot...

Maybe someone should send a letter to a commanding general and ask if he would entertain such an idea for a weekend endeavor on one of the many bases squatches have been seen at. That would make it even easier to accomplish, if it was on base. Hell, if steve irwin convinced them to film shows and swim with gators all over bases in the US, why not a group of american citizens (with former veterans) filling out a petition, to request such an endeavor...

Just a thought...this may be the best chance of actually finding one. After watching Bobo in the woods of kentucky last night, my hope keeps going down...lol.

This would seem to me like the most efficient way of capturing one alive. Being a Marine, perhaps you can provide some knowledgeable perspective on this. To me, it would seem like you wouldn't want to send a large group to canvass the area, because the animals would sense a large group of people coming and would do all they could to avoid detection. So the logical choice would be to send a small group of very capable soldiers. However, a small group covers much less ground, so you would need a small group of capable soldiers who are educated specifically on Sasquatch, so that they can effectively track him, giving them a decent shot at even encountering one at all. At this point you are putting more resources towards this mission than previously thought, if you are going to take the time to find a small group of guys who can take the time to a) believe there is even something out there and B) train on how to most effectively track a Sasquatch, keeping in mind that even the most "effective" method of tracking does not yield much of a success rate at all. Then again, if this were something with a high success rate then we wouldn't be considering sending in the Marines!

So am I off-base here? Keep in mind the above was written by someone who is not much of an outdoors man, has no military experience, and at times has trouble finding his own cat in his home. I would love to hear the opinions of someone more qualified than myself!

Admin

And who would pick up the tab for this expedition? The media would be all over it, and this type of wasteful spending, especially how the economy is right now, IMO would not look favorable to the working tax payer.

I'd have a little bet that the only thing that would get darted is another Marine! But let's imagine.....

Have a little think about this from the viewpoint of the animal being chased. Presumably you would do some sort of pincer/ encircling movement around it. It would be very aware of what was going on, and would get more panicky as more and more people got closer and closer. This is already a dangerous, distressed animal. Then, someone fires a dart into it.

Now, as I said in another thread, it is even angrier, and it has 3 to 5 minutes before falling unconscious. What is it going to do in that time? It will run, and it will presumably flatten anything that gets in the way. No Marine is going to survive a fight with it, so either they try to get out of the way, or they shoot it.

If they do manage to get out of the way, they've now got to follow an animal in the dark........one that can move an awful lot quicker than them, and one that is frightened, angry, and very dangerous. I just can't see that going well.

With no disrespect meant to the Marines, I just don't think this is their thing. I am guessing that the odds on a dead soldier or a dead sasquatch are very high, and I for one would be very grateful if we didn't have to hear about either on the news one morning.

Mike

SSR Team

Just a thought...this may be the best chance of actually finding one.

What part of the 726m forested acres in the USA, ignoring even more in Canada, would you want to start in ?

Admin

Cascades National Park? :biggrin:

I seem to recall that when the accused Olympic bomber Eric Rudolph was hiding in a relatively small remote and mountainous area of North Carolina a massive high tech search was conducted over several months that included some elements from military reconnaisance units and yet failed to locate him and he was not likely as skilled at stealth and evasion as a supposed BF would be.

Guest HarryAbe

all good points gang...

I can tell you that there are certain parts of the USMC that are VERY capable of doing this very thing. Specifically a USMC scout sniper, and if you could place him in an area (as he would be undercover and not able to be seen BUT probably smelled by a squatch) that has lots of squatch activity, this would be the best best. Snipers can shoot from MASSIVE ranges. Regular marines qualify from 500 yards with an m16A2 service rifle, yearly, at a silohette target. Snipers can shoot from MUCH further away and the record (even though this was not set by a marine) is 2707 yards!!!! This was done in 2009 to some lucky taliban guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper#Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

My idea would be to send a small team of snipers, into a wide area (as they can cover large distances), let them get undercover in a prone position for a few days at a time and go from there. They could be schooled on what to look for before this expedition and how to react in all situations. Because snipers are so good at knowing exact distances, it would be possible to find the squatch aftert it was shot OR the shots could possibly be chipped and found via satellite or other equipment.

As far as cost goes, the DOD loves to WASTE money, when I was in the Corps my commanders gave me a medal for "only" losing 600,000 bucks in equipment in one year. I understand the tax payers might get pissed, but you could incorporate this into the training of a sniper pretty easily and you could ask for all volunteer snipers to do it (no one is under order to do it).

I know it's probably all just a nice thought to do this, but I really think this may be a way to actually get some evidence or a body...unless of course the gov't already has one and has no interest in showing us anytime soon.

SSR Team

Cascades National Park? :biggrin:

Over half a million acres and what, we're at G, 6,000 or so to 1 ??

Good luck with that..

Edited by BobbyO

Good point Mike G made above, that it would run, just like in the Sierra kills incident.

Also, if you find one and wrassle it into a net or whatever, would it have been alone? How many sasquatches could these Marines handle? Can the marines climb trees well? They would need to be a bit like Tarzan, I think.

Then you have to get it out. Helicopters don't fly and land that well at night in forested areas, so I guess you wait til dawn and then call for a ride. That part sounds a little risky.

If you use special forces to get a sasquatch, it might work, but you'd have to come up with some kind of strategy and do a lot of contingency planning. Perhaps the sasquatches could be located with those drones, using infrared, then the marines could round it up using infrared. If they find a big one, they should wait til they find a smaller one. They might go in daylight, as bf are still there and Marines are at less of a disadvantage.

A thought: How will they see the bf, which are hard to spot?

It's already been done a long time ago! To conclude this just think of the nature of man and especially our government and the constant edge they seek. Even legends of such a creature would have been sufficient to bring this about.

Guest HarryAbe

It may have been done BEFORE but has it been done recently. We have new crap coming out all the time especially in the military...

If the snipers are under cover, using high powered scopes with a few spotters next to them under cover as well, I think they could be spotted...night vision goggles with heat seeking capabilities...

IMO, if the military has not done this already, it should be fairly easy to at least located 1 squatch using the methods above. Like I mentioned before, they probably have already done this and have a body somewhere, maybe even a live one...

It's a shame a sasquatch can't get a student loan and then miss a payment or two...those collectors can find anyone! lololol

I'd have a little bet that the only thing that would get darted is another Marine!
and then at the end of your reply you say
With no disrespect meant to the Marines

Your making it sound like the marines are incompetent fools that don't know how to handle a weapon, or themselves in a dangerous situation,

and you did not mean disrespect ? maybe you did not mean to disrespect them, but you did.

Our special forces are the most highly trained professionals on the earth. I guess you really don't understand how amazing they really are,

in my book there super hero's that overcome the impossible. the last missions they accomplished were unbelievably complex and were preformed

flawlessly. If anybody in the world were going try to accomplish such a task, having accomplished so many difficult missions that most could not even fathom,

they defiantly would be on the top of the list.

Good prediction.

Maybe the whole nature of the group should be only recon. The marines will climb steep hills and cliffs with night vision goggles and cameras. They set up camera traps and build blinds to get video from. This would be good training since their target is one of the most stealthy beings to walk the earth. If they can match wits with it, then they will be well trained.

Edited by grayjay
Removed Lengthy Quote