Military Expedition To Find A Squatch...

Guest HarryAbe

I think SF, or any similar group, is the wrong tool for the job. I think recon is better when they know where they need to go, with a relatively known location/target. A BF expedition is nothing like an “expeditionary†unit in the military, in my opinion. You’re not doing recon when dealing with BF. I think SF/exped/recon do a much better job when they have a clearly defined “missionâ€. I don’t think that’s possible dealing with BF. I think big game hunters, primitive studies persons, or sign-cutters would be a much better idea.

I know nothing about tranquilizer dart's. My question is when they strike the target is all the tranquilizer immediately injected or does it take 15-30 seconds for the transfer to take place. If it does take time what would keep a squatch from reaching it and removing it with his or her hand something that most animals cannot do.

Hu-rah! I would think a highly specialized team would be able to do recon and come back with thermal imagery or the like, but then again I thought Bobo and Monkey were on to something and they turned up nothing concrete.

Guest JiggyPotamus

My guess is that (A): They don't really care about bigfoot, therefore they will not waste their time trying to capture one. The military leaders may also know that it exists, but also know that it is just an animal, and of no use to them. I really cannot think of any use for a bigfoot from the military's perspective.

Or (B): They know the animal exists, and have already obtained one or more specimens. Of course this information would not make it to the public for obvious reasons. Having been in the USAF, and dealing with obtaining a security clearance, I noticed that not many people talked about the stuff they weren't supposed to talk about, even though it was not really that big of a deal. Mostly tech stuff.

This mentality, coupled with the fact that no one would want to lose their security clearance for being thought of as crazy, I bet that any military sightings don't make it very far up the chain-of-command. But really I have no clue. I would bet that certain government agencies would be more interested in bigfoot than the military, and it is possible that they have worked together in the past, even if it was spontaneous.

I can just imagine some marines or soldiers doing night-ops training and running into a bigfoot, getting freaked out, or maybe threatened, and then killing it. I just wonder if they would report it to anyone. If they did, again I would bet that it would be compartmentalized if it even went very high up the CoC. These are just my guesses by the way, as I really have no clue.

I know nothing about tranquilizer dart's. My question is when they strike the target is all the tranquilizer immediately injected or does it take 15-30 seconds for the transfer to take place. If it does take time what would keep a squatch from reaching it and removing it with his or her hand something that most animals cannot do.

It's pretty instantaneous........just a few seconds at most. The drug is pushed out by a spring and plunger (in the ones I've seen), and it doesn't take long. The darts often fall out in a few seconds as the animal throws itself around, but the drug has still been delivered.

Mike

Anyone ever wonder why nobody has convinced the DOD to send out a group of Marine Corps Recon or Navy Seals to search for a squatch in a squatchy area?

No, I don't wonder.

I can not see DOD spending that kind of resources on "hunting for bigfoot". It is so far outside the scope and expections of the military that i would expect anyone receiving such a request to deny it without much thought.

if it happened, I honestly wouldn't expect any kind of result.

Back in 1983 here in Vermont there was an escape by two men from a prison van in my hometown. They were hand-cuffed and in leg-irons and managed to get into the treeline and away (I always wondered how many donuts the transport officers were wolfing down at the gas station where they had stopped if they couldn't catch guys in leg-irons). Anyhow, these two guys were on the run for about a week. At one point, there was a concerted effort by 80+ law-enforcement officers to sweep the local woods to bring these guys in before someone got hurt (all the local farmers were keeping shotguns/rifles close at hand and they broke into several buildings in town before things were over). Long story short, when they finally got sick of below-freezing cold at night and gave up, it turned out they had been in a restricted area about a mile wide and about two miles long centered on the downtown and the main road. Hundreds of people were living in this area and police had swept it repeatedly...but two guys managed to stay hidden anyways.

That instance showed me a lot about how hard it is to "sweep" a wooded area and find something/someone that wishes not to be seen.

I think the correct way to "search" for sasquatch is the techniques some other folks have talked about here; get to know any area really, really well. Figure out where the game trails/edible foods are and sources of water. Practice moving absolutely quietly and spend a LOT of time out there. Bigfoot is more skittish then the a white tail. If it figures out you are in the woods, it is going to go the other way. A large group moving around is just going to push it out of the area or force it to ground somewhere that it thinks it can hide until you go away. The best chance is literally to be where it doesn't expect you to be....and that is going to be easiest with a small group or a single individual.

Tim

My guess is that (A): They don't really care about bigfoot, therefore they will not waste their time trying to capture one. The military leaders may also know that it exists, but also know that it is just an animal, and of no use to them. I really cannot think of any use for a bigfoot from the military's perspective.

I would think that the BF's eye mechanics/optics would be of very much interest.

(If not done already) Imagine what they could learn about night vision.....

Once the DNA info has been released, it could help determine what drugs could be used for sedation, maybe dosage? (Jodie, is that correct?) A guy could carry different doses for different sized hairyfellas.

Attention MATT MONEYMAKER AND COMPANY: Please start mentioning or suggesting use of special forces to FIND BIGFOOT. That might get the public to start getting used to the idea, anyway. Just a kernel of the idea planted in the mind....pretty soon they think it's their idea.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Bigfoot is more skittish then the a white tail. If it figures out you are in the woods, it is going to go the other way. A large group moving around is just going to push it out of the area or force it to ground somewhere that it thinks it can hide until you go away. The best chance is literally to be where it doesn't expect you to be....and that is going to be easiest with a small group or a single individual.

Tim

Once BF knows people are after it, in 30 minutes BF could probably travel 10 miles through rugged terrain. It would be out of the area so the Marines would have a short window to dart it. It would still be great training for SF.

In reality, it would be a huge streach for the Marines to form a BF mission for political reasons. However, we are just having fun speculating, and it would be good training for Special Forces. On the other hand the Navy is training porpoises. Imagine training juvenile BFs to be team members of Special Forces!

Hu-rah! I would think a highly specialized team would be able to do recon and come back with thermal imagery or the like, but then again I thought Bobo and Monkey were on to something and they turned up nothing concrete.

Recon is more realistic for phase one. Then later do the dart thing.

I think SF, or any similar group, is the wrong tool for the job. I think recon is better when they know where they need to go, with a relatively known location/target. A BF expedition is nothing like an “expeditionary†unit in the military, in my opinion. You’re not doing recon when dealing with BF. I think SF/exped/recon do a much better job when they have a clearly defined “missionâ€. I don’t think that’s possible dealing with BF. I think big game hunters, primitive studies persons, or sign-cutters would be a much better idea.

With recon, the mission would be to not spook BF out of the area.

My point is, there is definetly public interest in such an expedition and most of us would have no problem with the military spending a few bucks to make it happen one weekend....televise it and even raise money from it. If I saw a preview for the "Marines hunting bigfoot" on TV, I would consider that MUST WATCH TV.

The public would need to know lethal force would not be used or there would be a big back lash.

The training for recon or Special Forces would be realistic and might cause the soldiers to take this job seriously when compared to boring fake training missions.

Edited by georgerm

The size and price of drones are going down. Soon, use of drones by private citizens might be cost effective. A grid search with drones equipped infra red would go along way to finding a bf.

Why not miniature dirigibles? Stay up virtually forever, and can be entirely silent. Besides, they can "hover", which a drone can't.

Mike

Quoting Georgerm

However, we are just having fun speculating, and it would be good training for Special Forces.

Bingo, that's the angle. Training. Edumacate them about bigfoots, set them to work. See what happens. After the Ketchum paper comes out, this might be possible. Hopefully, a lof of them will be bored, lying around here in the States, just itching to get out and do some stuff like this. They do love getting out in the field, using the equipment, all that--doing this sort of thing is real big fun.

Guest HarryAbe

Kings Canyon,

You are right on the money! Exactly how it should be done.

Someone should sent a letter to the public affairs and recruiting officers on the big bases. I'm sure we would all be surprised by the responses. I wouldn't mind doing it...maybe a petition signed by a few thousand people asking for such a thing....

Recon is more realistic for phase one. Then later do the dart thing.

With recon, the mission would be to not spook BF out of the area.

I agree to disagree. I only think recon units work because they know where to look and report. With an animal, not based in or around a very specific known area, you’re wasting recon time scouting. Without knowing where to look, where do you deploy? Green or black ops depend on a relatively well known target area. That’s the piece we’re missing in this scenario, and therefore recon is no better tasked than any other group or individual. I think you’d be better off employing a sign cutter/animal tracker. Special operations folks do a great job hitting a particular house, and are less effective hitting a particular city.

I feel confident in saying this has already been done!

Why WOULDN'T our military have an interest in a animal/human that freely transverses our bases and have possibly seen some of our deepest secrets?

If there's the possibility of them being human or close enough to human...that only intensifies the reasoning!

The BF I saw was on a military base....directly across from our airfield!