Military Expedition To Find A Squatch...

Guest HarryAbe

Hi Zigo:

I don't believe Mike's comment was aimed at making Marines look incompetent or the like - but rather an indication of what might happen in such a high stress, nearly unbelievable situation.

Even an unintentioned comment like above would be met with fierce denial with my friends that are marines. However, accidental shootings/discharges, etc DO happen in military exercises, marines or not.

But yeah, I would agree that our special forces are indeed a cut above even an expert marksmen.

Edited by Cotter

Part of recon is to study the terrain of recent BF sightings and predict where they hide during the day. Then as you say, send in several small groups but position them undercover to observe all escape routes then wait, photograph, and dart if necessary. Much of this is waiting in blinds while one small group may be out seeking and will push the BF into one of the blinds. The BF will never be chased or even followed since it would probably know this then panic. Only its position reported. High flying quiet drones with night vision will assist. If the animal escapes then new groups will set up ahead of other escape routes.

At Camp Lejune, we were Marine combat engineers and learned to build tent cities for support troops on missions such as the one we are dreaming about. A base camp several miles from the recon site would be set up from which to launch covert missions from. With enough time and resrouces this method will eventually turn up a BF.

Edited by grayjay
Removed Lengthy Quote

Guest BuzzardEater

The marines wouldn't be tracking an animal. The hypothetical marines would be chasing an expert human with abilities taught and honed since birth. Imagine trying to run down a wild raised LeBron in the woods.

I suppose you could try helicopter persuit. Heat signatures might get spotted at night. Missles might work.

Does the military have dogs? You could saddle a dog with claymores and set it off when the BF gets a hold of him. Any use of dogs is going to end badly for the dog, I think.

I am guessing this is more of a question like, is it even possible, given expert persuit by military personel to get a body? I am in the opinion that it would not offer significant chance of success. It's too late for that. We shouldn't have let them watch maneuvers. Anyway, what about high security facilities? If a foot wandered onto a secure area, does the military just ignore them, now? Could one walk into Area 51, fire up the saucer and drive away?

It's fun to speculate, like an Ali/Tyson title fight, but BFs are not over-rated. Under estimated is probably closer to the truth. Did you notice that the posters thinking a military attempt would have even a faint hope all referred to the subject as an animal? There's a clue! If these were simple animals you'd be able to see them in the zoo.

Your making it sound like the marines are incompetent fools that don't know how to handle a weapon, or themselves in a dangerous situation,and you did not mean disrespect ? maybe you did not mean to disrespect them, but you did.

This is gross misrepresentation, both of what I said, and of what I think. The Marines have my utmost respect. It's just that I don't believe this is the right sort of situation in which to use them.

But rather than argue with you, can you just tell me what you know about the Marines' training with dart guns, and how often they get to handle dangerous wild animals? Whilst we're at it, maybe just expand on whether they have training in monitoring tranquilised animals, and comment on whether or not night vision equipment is visible to sasquatch? Furthermore, let me know how a Marine will protect himself from attack by a sasquatch without resorting to lethal force, if you don't mind?

Buzzard Eater. The original post proposed trying to capture rather than kill: no bullets, just tranquiliser darts.

Mike

Edited by MikeG

@ cotter

They do have accidents, but the time spent on spent training and the amount of accidents, the accidents rare occurrences.

The point I am trying to make is that the special forces train for making split second decisions, deciphering between an assailant

with a weapon, or one with out, if they are a immediate threat, or a bystander, and these decisions have to be made in nano-seconds.

If handed the task that the OP suggests, I ready don't believe they would have a hard time distinguishing between another

soldier and a BF. They accomplish extemely difficult task daily, so if given the task, I believe they would be up for the challenge.

Edited by zigoapex

Admin

In reference to the original question, it is not their job. WV Footer is correct about paying for it and the negative pub it would receive if it ever became known. So unless BF starts to attack people on a regular basis, do not expect to see this happen. Active duty forces are rarely deployed CONUS for anything but humaniterian missions or border security.

Edited by VAfooter

@zigo

I agree completely. The chances of something like that happening are rare. I just think it was offered as a potential outcome.

Thx.

@MIKEG

can you just tell me what you know about the Marines' training with dart guns, and how often they get to handle dangerous wild animals? Whilst we're at it, maybe just expand on whether they have training in monitoring tranquilised animals

You mean to tell me that special forces that are trained to use the most sophisticated weaponry and devices, are not capable

of learning how to use a dart gun or how to handle an animal ? I'm sorry, But you grossly underestimate the capability of these men,

they not just a bunch of grunts running around, they are extremely intelligent and I bet the house they would learn in short amount of time, how use one in the field better than anyone you know. While were typing about a hypothetical situation, they are out training,while were sleeping, there out training, THEY ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST !

Guest BuzzardEater

Darts are a fanciful idea unless you use them at close range on a stationary target. Professionals that use darts have ready, lethal back-up. Since I do not believe a human can approach a BF, I discounted darts.

To clarify, the most elite military force would not be able to catch a squatch, live or otherwise. BFs do not wander about hoping for the best. That doesn't make sense. Unless they disregaurd thier own practices, you won't ever see one. The woodcraft involved is beyond our current understanding. They are so adept that we just don't grasp it.

A sniper might get lucky. A unit might hit one with a truck. An army might bump into one on thier base. It could happen, but it never has led to a capture or body.

Is it too much to hope that the US military would have bigger fish to fry than chasing an creature of folklore around?

Would it not be wiser to want parks & wildlife to have an offical investigation rather than a bunch of primarily under-educated lower class yanks attempting to "capture" an undiscovered species?

I shudder at the thought "Yes we were able to capture one, we did kill it sadly.....here have a look, please disregard the 87 bullet holes in it, our boys sure do like to pull the trigger..."

I'm not here for an argument. I have said what I think and stand by that, but I really don't need the aggro. If I have upset or annoyed anyone, I apologise unreservedly, but urge a sense of perspective.

On that note I shall leave this thread in peace, with the sincere wish that we never have to discuss this in the aftermath of a real-life event.

Mike

The marines wouldn't be tracking an animal... It's fun to speculate, like an Ali/Tyson title fight, but BFs are not over-rated. Under estimated is probably closer to the truth. Did you notice that the posters thinking a military attempt would have even a faint hope all referred to the subject as an animal? There's a clue! If these were simple animals you'd be able to see them in the zoo.

Nobody is saying they are "simple" animals, but they are animals nonetheless. Yes, they would be at a great physical and environmental advantage out there; we still hold the crown in the area of intelligence though. You are not going to convince me that these animals are every bit as cognitively capable as us humans. Maybe more than any other animal, but not as much as or more than us. I have recently opened myself to the idea that they may be "human" instead of apes in the way that a relic population of Neanderthals would be "human", but I am confident in my opinion that for all intents and purposes these things are animals who can be tracked and who's behavior can be manipulated as such.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but I think a group of Marines can overcome one Sasquatch, given they can locate it in the first place.

I sense this thread is about to take a turn...

I'm with Cervelo, if the Military had an interest (and I think they would), they've had done their investigation years ago and not breathed a word of it.

Maybe we're in the midst of a blue book type situation.

Guest HarryAbe

all good points in this thread. i agree, it may have been done and we just don't know it. I also agree, that the special forces would have the highest probability of catching/killing one. I think if this got played right, it would be one hell of a recruiting tool and could actually help with recruitment....could go a little something like this;

"the few, the proud, the ones who captured/killed bigfoot!"

"Aim high, cause bigfoot is 10 feet tall!"

My point is, there is definetly public interest in such an expedition and most of us would have no problem with the military spending a few bucks to make it happen one weekend....televise it and even raise money from it. If I saw a preview for the "Marines hunting bigfoot" on TV, I would consider that MUST WATCH TV.