Bigfoot And Trains

Guest Tontar

If I am to speculate regarding the reason(s) why they do this, the possibilities would include transportation without effort, or perhaps simply for fun. The friend of mine who was killed was out with some friends attempting to jump a train for fun. He tripped and the train ran over his leg. Being a pallbearer at his funeral was one of the saddest days of my life.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Truly a tragic event, and you have my sincerest regrets for your loss. I've lost friends and family members as well, not to train hopping accidents, but to a wide variety of other events. Not to sound calloused, but having lost more than I would have liked to, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with it all. We all like to have fun, do our sports, do our wild and crazy things, but having been on the giving end of CPR that was unsuccessful (ruptured aorta), losing buddies leaves a big impression. Part of the deal we sign up with when we agree to be born into this world, I suppose!

If someone decides to videotape trains hoping to catch some bigfoots riding them, then I wish them all the luck in the world. I mean that sincerely, but I personally don't hold out much hope for results. Might be good to expand the idea into a network system if any results at all are going to be possible. For example, set up friends in next town locations, meet and greet and arrange for a networking relationship. Sitting and waiting with video camera in hand for a bigfoot to be on a train would prove frustrating at best, but if one sees one riding a train, a quick call to someone down the line might be able to raise the troops to get their camera ready, get down to the tracks in time to film it going by. Being at the right place at the right time is always a shot in the dark, but if one is sighted like reported here, a quick call to Carl in the next town could alert him to get his camera, get to the tracks, and get a shot at it as it passes by.

That said, what would they need transportation for? Are they apes, or are they people? What would they hope to find down the line that they would risk discovery, or being trapped on a fast moving train that they could not get off of once it was in motion? My perspective is kind of like yours, but much less willing to entertain it as an existing behavior. Instead of entertaining the idea that it has a reasonable chance of being a behavior, and figuring out the why of it later, I tend to think that it is not an especially reasonable chance of being a behavior, so until it is demonstrated that it is a real behavior, analyzing it would be more of a flight of fancy. Like Cesar Milan, dogs are Dog first, Breed second. For bigfoot, it is bigfoot has to exist first, then have various behaviors. Accepting such a wide variety of behaviors, and hopping trains is one of the more amazing behaviors reported, follows the provenance of bigfoot in the first place. Can't have all sorts of believable and unbelievable behaviors that get considered as legitimate, when it hasn't even been proven that bigfoot itself is legit. The critter needs to precede the behavior, for me. I was out this past weekend, both days, didn't find squat...

While I'm of the opinion this sighting is a mistake or worse, it's certainly not up to anyone to provide the reason nor motivation IF the creature indeed were hopping a freight. Just let it flow over you.

LOL! Just let it flow over you. Best thing I have heard all day!

Guest BFSleuth

While I agree that this particular behavior is odd to say the least, the fact that Stan had that brief sighting and that he personally is going out to try and document it with video is a great first step. I also think that even though the possibility is unlikely that they ride rails, I don't automatically therefore come to the conclusion that further study and attempts to get said video evidence is therefore unwarranted. If Stan is confident of what he saw, even for a split second, then I think it is worth further study.

My sister works for the railroad here in the PNW and it is "common knowledge" among the employees that BF are seen along the tracks going through the Cascades. They just aren't encouraged to talk about it. For that matter they aren't encouraged to talk about all the "hobo" deaths that aren't reported in the news. PTSD among railroad employees is a little known subject because of some of the horrible things they have witnessed.

Guest BFSleuth

I might add that one reason I'm quite interested in this reported phenomenon is because if it is happening, then it might be a repeatable phenomenon and it must occur within a narrow (pardon the pun) geographic range. It reduces the area of search for an opportunity for HD video or high res still shots.

In effect there is a hypothesis proposed that they ride trains, so in order to test the hypothesis we would then go make observations. Train tracks that run through appropriate BF habitat, where trains are forced to slow to a speed where one could get on board or to get off, can be identified for setting up camera traps. This was the gist of my earlier remarks in this thread, to look for the best possible locations to test the hypothesis. There are a few locations that make sense to try this in my area, so it makes sense to set up an operation to try and film said behavior.

I would rather follow the evidence than to reject it out of hand, belittle it, or ridicule it.

BFF Patron

At this point I'd like to shout out a warning. Many rail right of ways are NO TRESPASSING zones..... in this era of Homeland Security, I'd be very cautious about being present within them and not having anything other than..... I was photographing BF (err...trains) as an excuse...

Guest BFSleuth

:D Great point, bp! I've been thinking about that. HS would be very protective of critical infrastructure.

However, trainspotting is a past time that many enjoy, and filming of trains is also something folks enjoy. The areas I'm thinking of setting up for my efforts will not put me close to the tracks or on railroad right of way, rather I'll be using telephoto lenses to shoot from a distance at a curve in the track where the train must slow. This will widen the gap between cars to the outside of the curve, and from a distance will also give the greatest possible time to look between each car.

you know a few of us here have joked about this ( respectfully on my part,hopefully to lighten the mood), but i think gigantor nailed it earlier.....

stan is known to be a stand up guy.

ive never heard his name mentioned along with the likes of biscardi ,the georgia boys etc. & i seriously doubt you ever will.

he's got a good rep,known to be one of the good guys.

gotta respect that in this field.

but he couldve been set up, pranked,punked whatever....it happens im sure.

but if someone had the time,resources & desire, what the heck, set up a camera or two & see what can be seen.

wouldnt hurt anything, might even catch a would be terrorist .

Guest WIWolfman

Very interesting topic! Well, with the intelligence level that they supposedly have this may not be that much of a surprise... Seeing something with hair between those train cars would almost be a doublecheck of is that what I just saw? Having the witness is golden though because of the fact that it has been seen. You almost question this though. What about the fact that they can go through portals to different dimensions like some researchers believe? Kind of makes you wonder if bigfoot has a few alternatives of additional travel. If they can go through portals why take a train?

Guest Jodie

If you do a search, there are many sightings that occurr near tracks, I was actually kind of surprised by that. I know they speculate that they use the tracls for easy traveling. If they can leap from rock to rock or tree to tree, why not onto a stopped train? Here is an interesting file of a train dispatcher reporting a bigfoot on the gcbro web site. It's a bit garbled but you catch what he is saying at the end.

http://www.gcbro.com/multim.html

BFF Patron
But perhaps the strangest story involves Bigfoot! In the fall of 1978, while driving near the bridge at around midnight, two people observed a 6-foot tall "bear like" creature with a strange face standing by the road.

Even the famous River Styx rail trestle bridge comes into play in this: http://www.deadohio....rstyxbridge.htm

Edited by bipedalist

I've done a lot of varmint calling near train tracks and you will actually hear real rabbit in distress calls that end up being victims of trains. It's common knowledge here in AZ that coyotes have been educated to come to passing trains to check for any casualties. It's a dinner bell response.

BFF Patron

Actually Sunflower beat you both (on the GCBRO engineer .wav), see her earlier post in the thread..... :music:

Edited by bipedalist