Bigfoot And Trains

Guest BFSleuth

I don't see how bigfoot could possibly have been experimenting with trains to the extent suggested and have remained undiscovered at train stations all over the country and/or found maimed and dead along tracks everywhere.

As for being discovered "at train stations", I doubt they would just ride right on into a train station. More likely they are going to get off well before a station, in the woods.

On another forum that is discussing this topic a person noting that he works as an engineer has pointed out that there are side rail areas where trains are stopped, sometimes for long periods of time, well out of sight of any people. Getting on a train at these locations would be easy, because they are at a dead stop. Often the trains will also stop on a side track to allow another train to pass, so again it is very easy to get on or off. With the trains going through the mountains here in Washington there is thick cover near these locations, not to mention areas where the track curves so much the train has to slow down to a speed that would be easy for them to get on or off.

I posted the monkeys in response to this.

Yet, do other primates, other than humans, ride trains? Many other species of great apes have the physical capability to hop on trains, but have they? Is there a reason that they would? That's what I have asked several times. I have been of the mindset that, assuming bigfoot exists, why would they ride trains.

Tontar,

You said you hopped trains as a youngster, right? What was your reason?

It's a lot easier now than ever before for a hairy guy to hop a train. Years ago the brakeman would ride (slowly) and that meant another set of eyes back there on the point (last car) but no more. It's too dangerous and the accidents were not worth the risk. There is no such thing as a caboose any more, it was replaced with a device; FRED (____Rear End Device) which resulted in another lack of human eyes.

There are places on the line called "dark territory" meaning no signals so it's the engineer and conductor in the cab relying on technology and the dispatcher's. Trains can stay in a siding all nite if need be and it's a common practice.

They could do this, no problem.......

So much rail line has been eliminated in this country, its possible BF once

rode trains more than they do today (if in fact they do). Wonder if they

'rode the rods' underneath the freight cars? Now that's tricky.

Guest FuriousGeorge

One of the reasons that a caboose is no longer needed is because there are sensors all over the place. They have all different kinds. Some bridge over the tracks and detect the height and width so a train doesn't have problems in a narrow tunnel. Some sensors are on trains and detect a shift in weight. I'm not too familiar with the sensors, but I'm sure there is a train person here that can verify it. I'm guessing a ten foot tall, eight hundred pound something or other would trip multiple sensors, multiple times.

ETA

I forgot that they can probably sense the sensors and jump off just in the nick of time. Never mind. :rolleyes:

Edited by FuriousGeorge

My brother did his (engineering) masters thesis measuring vibrations in train tracks/switches and works in the rail industry now, I'll have to check with him on what sensors they would have.

As for being discovered "at train stations", I doubt they would just ride right on into a train station. More likely they are going to get off well before a station, in the woods.

But how do they know where their stop is? How did the first bigfoot(s) riding the rails figure out where civilization begins? How did they avoid detection when suddenly at full speed the train goes through a town or an intersection without significant slow down. A lot of experimentation with these things would have to have been going on before they would hypothetically be able to ride the rails in stealth, it seems more likely than not that bigfoot would have been discovered during that experimentation period.

Guest Jodie

I don't see how bigfoot could possibly have been experimenting with trains to the extent suggested and have remained undiscovered at train stations all over the country and/or found maimed and dead along tracks everywhere.

This assumes an animal was actually seen. Jumping to the conclusion that it was a hobo wearing fur, a hoaxer in a suit or a bigfoot is premature. It would be much more likely that an inanimate object was misidentified.

Well they have if you research the reports that I linked previous to that post or care to browse the databases.

Unless they tied it down, centrifugal force would throw it off the train once it went around a bend in the track, or vibrated itself off after getting up to speed. Once again, unless you are an idiot in this day and age I doubt you would risk being seen tying any kind of inanimate object, furry or otherwise, to a train just to pull off a hoax. The only motive I can think of to do that would be financial gain, I'm not seeing the connection for that in this situation.

My brother did his (engineering) masters thesis measuring vibrations in train tracks/switches and works in the rail industry now, I'll have to check with him on what sensors they would have.

[/font][/color]

But how do they know where their stop is? How did the first bigfoot(s) riding the rails figure out where civilization begins? How did they avoid detection when suddenly at full speed the train goes through a town or an intersection without significant slow down. A lot of experimentation with these things would have to have been going on before they would hypothetically be able to ride the rails in stealth, it seems more likely than not that bigfoot would have been discovered during that experimentation period.

You are assuming this is routine behavior for them, we don't know that it is.

Guest BFSleuth

You are assuming this is routine behavior for them, we don't know that it is.

Precisely.

So far we have a sighting reported by Stan, a brief glimpse of something that could possibly be a BF riding between double deckers. His sighting was the result of investigating a claim of a witness that indicated he had good reason to suspect this was happening in his area. We have reports from forum members that say they've seen this behavior, but so far we have absolutely no evidence in the way of video footage to show the behavior.

If indeed this kind of behavior is happening, then the question is whether it is a localized phenomenon by a single individual or a more widespread behavior. Again, the key is IMHO to attempt to document the behavior with video. In order to do that we would hypothesize when and where the behavior might occur and go about our experimentation (videography) accordingly. My hope is that Stan is able to replicate the sighting with a camera in hand, or that someone is able to do so.

Guest Tontar

Tontar,

You said you hopped trains as a youngster, right? What was your reason?

For fun. Myself and my friends would hop trains for the fun of it. We would drive our cars to an area near the train station, and then walk to the place where the trains would slow down, or stop. We would see other people in these areas, some would be kids looking for a bit of similar fun, some would be hobos, some would be railway workers. We would do this stuff as an alternative to going to the movies, or hanging out at the diner, or cruising the drag in our cars. We would talk about it, we had information about what the trains would do, and when we'd jump off we'd have some serious walking to do to get where we wanted to be, or to get back to where we started. As sneaky as we thought we were, we were not unobserved.

If you are wondering if our adolescent hi-jinx were something that bigfoots might also engage in, fun and adventure just for the same of the fun and adventure, then that would seem to conflict with what a good many people think of bigfoot behavior. A lot of people believe that thrills and adventure is an emotion or activity that has been weeded out of bigfoot culture because it is something that would increase bigfoot exposure, and bigfoots do everything to remain undetected. In other words, jumping on trains for fun goes against the mainstream dogma of evolved bigfoot behavior. You can't successfully argue that bigfoots are never found, and never detected because they have evolved such incredibly strong anti-human tendencies and skills, yet hop trains where they can be seen by someone on their very first trainspotting trip to see bigfoots on trains. Never thought of bigfoots riding rains? Oh, well take a trip to the local train tracks and lo and behold, you might see one the very first time you decide to look. What luck.

Guest BFSleuth

If you are wondering if our adolescent hi-jinx were something that bigfoots might also engage in, fun and adventure just for the same of the fun and adventure, then that would seem to conflict with what a good many people think of bigfoot behavior. A lot of people believe that thrills and adventure is an emotion or activity that has been weeded out of bigfoot culture because it is something that would increase bigfoot exposure, and bigfoots do everything to remain undetected. In other words, jumping on trains for fun goes against the mainstream dogma of evolved bigfoot behavior. You can't successfully argue that bigfoots are never found, and never detected because they have evolved such incredibly strong anti-human tendencies and skills, yet hop trains where they can be seen by someone on their very first trainspotting trip to see bigfoots on trains. Never thought of bigfoots riding rains? Oh, well take a trip to the local train tracks and lo and behold, you might see one the very first time you decide to look. What luck.

Animals engage in play, are you suggesting that it is impossible for BF to also engage in play?

I think you are over reaching in your characterization of the proponent position, that all BF's engage in highly evasive behavior at all times. Sighting report databases are have many sightings where the BF are very aware they are being seen and sometimes initiate contact. Sometimes they engage in highly risky behavior as well, such as trying to run across a very busy freeway and bouncing off vehicles.

The idea that all BF have to fit into a narrow behavior set is like saying that all humans must behave the same way. There is a lot of variance in human behavior, in animal behavior, and in BF behavior.

Guest Tontar

Whatever. If you want to believe bigfoots hop trains, good for you. I don't buy it. Simple as that.

Trying to elaborate on possible bigfoot behaviors, what they might and might not do, their levels of curiosity, creativity, how they might expand their range; all of this speculating might be fun for some people, but I just think it is a kind of unbridled dreaming. I can be on the fence about a lot of things, but speculation about behaviors, for me, has to be ion context. The context is that bigfoot is not known to exist. Some people say they know it, from personal experience, but until there's a consensus amongst the larger community of people outside hobbyist followers, speculating on how expansive bigfoot behavior is doesn't float my boat. Studying the behavior of what is currently still a cryptid, and undocumented, unknown creature, has not been done to any reliable degree. If I want to speculate, I prefer to keep it within a few steps of what has been documented as factual.

I go up in the mountains frequently, looking for evidence, so I have hope that some will be found. But suggestions about what they might be capable of doing, and then allowing for them to do that, is too big a stretch for me. It's not that I don't have a good enough imagination, I do. I have imagined them doing all sorts of things, being all sorts of places, having all manner of origin, but placing any merit on any of my speculations and imaginings is something I just can't do.

But to answer your questions more directly:

Am I suggesting it is impossible for Bigfoots to play? Nope, not suggesting that at all. If there are bigfoots, I would think they would play.

If bigfoots "play" by running in front of and bouncing off cars, then in all these years, don't you think one would not be so lucky as to just bounce off? Where are the not so lucky ones?

The conversation started with a sighting. You Make it sound like someeone said "I wonder if Bigfoot jump on train"?

Whether a person thinks a Sas would or wouldn't is based on exactly the same amount of factual information. None.

Guest Jodie

I find it sad that some people have minds that are tighter than ****'s hat band.

Edited by slabdog
admin note: "****'s hat band" is a old timey southern saying http://www.word-detective.com/back-s.html#hatband
  • Upvote 2

Guest Tontar

I think that in all seriousness you cannot legitimately say that anyone that has weighed in on this matter in a way that you don't like has not been open minded, yet since you believe that bigfoots ride trains, you label those that don't as close minded.

What some have said is that they don't believe bigfoots ride rains. Some have also expressed why they would think that way. Giving reasons why they wouldn't, or shouldn't, or even couldn't, is a heck of a lot better than no answers as to why, how, and whatever else. You believe they ride trains. Cool. Nobody has said you were goofy in the head for thinking that, right? So why label anyone else as closed minded for having an alternate opinion than you? Why you gotta go there?

Edited by Tontar