The Kill Club

norseman

Yus if you don't know they were there, you don't know if you've got between them and something "important".

Also, you don't quite have their same perception of the landscape, as in what they might consider "walls" that you are backing them toward, and cornering them against. For instance you meet a young 7ft 600lb beta male and you're backing him toward the territory of an 8ft 900lb alpha he lost a fight with last week... he's gonna pick you as the easy option maybe.

SSR Team

That's the type of mindset that will nail this thing..;)

Plussed.

• 4 weeks later...

For this hunting season I put a Burris 2x7 scout scope on my guide gun. Used a XS scout rail to mount it.

Good news is the scope works great with sure fire light

I just discovered this thread and haven't read all of it yet, but where do I get my membership card?  My only experience with firearms is my military training and I'm going deer hunting (with an experienced friend and her family) for the first time this season, building an AR-308 to start with and I intend to hunt with them every season throughout this next year + will probably start competing in F-Class target shooting.  I have some medical issues and will be dedicating this year to surgery and rehabilitation, and will move to VA in 2015, where and when I fully intend to learn about tracking first, and then begin my own armed hunt. Looking forward to reading this entire thread later tonight, and hopefully meeting in real life further down the road. 

Well we have our own website now,

www.projectgrendel.com

No membership required, just a group of like minded people trying to tip the scales in our favor.

Welcome!

37834633.jpg

Them is my people. Literally! Although I haven't really met a Cartman yet. Did meet the Vietnam Vet with the throat cancer though...

Edited by Wag

Well we have our own website now,

www.projectgrendel.com

No membership required, just a group of like minded people trying to tip the scales in our favor.

Welcome!

WOW, I just read the entire 24 page thread. Many of the ideas presented echo what I have thought, and I don't want to write a book in response so I'm responding  with bullet points instead. I'll start by re-iterating that I want to do this, but need to dedicate this next year to getting back on my feet medically and getting some experience hunting since I have military training and no hunting experience. It will be some time before I think it's realistic to go into the field (near Virginia), and I don't know how affordable it would be for me to travel across the country to do this in the PNW region. Having said that:

- I joined PROJECTGRENDEL, cant wait to support operation northern sweep. Also looks like I have to finally read that 411 book and will be re-reading my old military manuals to get back in the proper mindset.

- Legality. Yes, shooters might be prosecuted but I'm sure you won't be convicted. There would be plenty of defense attorneys who would work pro-bono in order to build a name for themself on such a high-visibility trial. For legal reasons I would shoot ONE, get ONE specimen, and defend myself to the best of my ability if attacked by other creatures - but leave the carcasses for recovery by others.

- Team Size / armament. No way am I doing this alone. I believe I've heard one (twice), have not seen one, but that was enough to convince me that it was not something to pursue solo. Minimum of 2 teams with 2 men in each team, preferably two or more full size infantry squads. Everyone seems to have realistic ideas about firearms but if everyone on the team carries the same weapon and that weapon is not the best tool for the job or the situation, then you fail and possibly die. Mix up the barrel-lengths and calibers used by everyone and move in fire teams. having some people armed with automatics and/or shotguns ("street sweepers") might be a good call. Not sold on bearspray or tazers - I won't be the first person to die trying that. And in an ambush or charge not everyone should be targeting center-mass - knee-capping, as described by treadstone in post #333, is something I've been thinking about for sometime. I just didn't know what to call it. Maybe a person being charged should fire center-mass or at the head (if they're close enough) while anyone with a shotgun should be aiming for the nearest limb? The best strategy is debatable, but the point being that anyone to a flank should be aiming at a different target that is appropriate for their weapon. I think we should avoid headshots unless the thing is right on top of you - the point is to "take a head" in one piece, but if one of those things is within 20 feet and is trying to take my head off itself, I'm going for the headshot . 

- Teamwork is more than just a tactic, it should be the only way of doing things. Nobody should do anything alone and nobody should be armed exactly like  their buddy. Make sure buddy teams stay together at all times, even in camp.

- Night ops. I think this is a pointless endeavor without night ops. Move to objectives during the day, sleep in shifts, pass info from shift to shift, and patrol around the camp at night - set up security in the camp, designate a command center,"everybody" is the reaction team (sleep with your boots on), and do recon of each site before bedding down. 

- Infantry Training. Regardless of the size of the team or the overall strategy (flushing them out, use snipers, decoys, blinds, vehicle-blinds, traps, etc) everyone 
involved needs basic infantry teamwork practice and tactics training before doing field ops. Paintball doesn't quite cut it , but Airsoft training would work VERY well. Heck, you could probably even rehearse with a man in a suit using airsoft. However you do it, everyone needs to know what the other team members intend to do if TSHTF - if charged, ambushed, or injured. I don't think that just meeting someone at a coffee shop a few times in order to get to know them and build trust would be enough for me to feel comfortable heading into a possible close-quarters combat situation with them. Do a lot of tabletop scenarios, agree on SOP's and basically treat it as a military operation.

- Endgame.Plan for the worst but hope for the best applies especially to the endgame. I'd want to make the extraction (of head, hand, and foot) as quickly as possible, done inside a close/small area defensive perimeter, distributing a different part to each team member, set up game cameras overlooking the remaining carcasss, mark it on a map, report it to someone who isn't there (in case the team doesn't make it out) and bug out as quickly as possible. 

- Documentation - extracting a head, foot and hand are exactly what I had planned, but be sure to include a few inches above the wrist and the ankle since 
the small bones in those joints will tell scientists a great deal about this creature. Also it might be smart to extract several vials of blood on-site, 
before it begins to coagulate. After bugging out I'd extract more blood, harvest skin samples, some hair, and small anatomy for safe keeping (tooth, nails, and skin, some muscle would be also helpful) and in addition to photographing the body parts, x-ray them and put THAT evidence on Piratebay and other distributed file storage sites immediately. (That's my profession. CT images and clear radiographs would be impossible to dismiss. If you can get the bodyparts to me, I will image them. PM me for contact info.)

- Distribution - I'd distribute the samples to a wide variety of people and document everything. Refuse to sign NDA's regarding the research.

- Follow-up immediately. (Crowd)fund a return expedition ASAP to retrieve the game cameras and/or carcass. 

- Social Networking. It'd be prudent to search for reporters, scientists, medical personnel, hunters, and people with military training who are willing to volunteer their time to support this endeavor. Check my signature for more of my ideas - they might be useful if you want to take Project Grendel nationwide.   
Edited by shoot1

• 3 weeks later...

A body will prove this animal exists.

Until someone figures out a way to capture one live, killing one will be the quickest and easiest way to provide a specimen.

No one can argue this. 

This is probably a very dense question that may well have been asked and answered before, but...is there any chance of using strong tranquilizers to capture the animal?  My guess is that you wouldn't want to rely on them because you have no way of knowing how much it would take to put the animal out, and if you assumed it was out and it came to, you'd have a major problem. 

But can anyone else address this in a more certain way?

This is probably a very dense question that may well have been asked and answered before, but...is there any chance of using strong tranquilizers to capture the animal? My guess is that you wouldn't want to rely on them because you have no way of knowing how much it would take to put the animal out, and if you assumed it was out and it came to, you'd have a major problem.

But can anyone else address this in a more certain way?

The biggest problem is...... Is that tranquilizer is a controlled substance.

Even if I wanted to run the risk you had mentioned I would have to be a accredited vet first to buy the stuff.

Edited by norseman

A body will prove this animal exists.

Until someone figures out a way to capture one live, killing one will be the quickest and easiest way to provide a specimen.

No one can argue this.

Your singing our song;)

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic