Oh Dear, Another Body...

Guest VioletX

Play by Play, Updated:

• Dec. 27, 2012: First reported on MABRC forum & Facebook, followed by Bigfoot Evidence.
  • Report was of a text message leaked by Ed Smith.
  • The text was sent by a member of the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center, Quantra Team (The Original 6).
  • The text stated "Daisy is in the Box", which is a code phrase for a Bigfoot (possibly Female) has been captured.
  • The Rumour Mill fires up.
  • Dec. 27, 2012: D.W. Lee does not deny the capture, and states that it did not happen in Oklahoma.
  • Dec. 28, 2012: Bigfoot Evidence reports that the Bigfoot Chicks interviewed D.W. Lee, who stated a trap was specially designed with a trigger set to close if a 350+ pound weight steps on a plate, and that a team of privately contracted scientist will examine the evidence.
  • Dec. 28, 2012: Ed Smith reports that the Bigfoot was moved from the capture site to the examination site during the early morning hours (12 miles between the two sites).
  • MABRC website crashes due to too many hits.
  • Tim Fasano says something false and not worth mentioning.
  • MABRC get their website back up and running.
  • D.W. Lee states that Ed Smith will be posting a 90 page document regarding the capture.
  • Dec. 29, 2012: More Rumours. Matt Moneymaker claims that no bigfoot has been captured. (I guess he's protecting his tv show, after all, Matt's out of work if Bigfoot is actually found; step aside Amateurs, step in Scientists)
  • Ed Smith states that he will not provide any further updates, and that any updates will come directly from Team Quantra.
  • D.W. Lee, MABRC Executive Director, has referenced us as people on the blogs, and we've been told to be patient.
  • Dec. 30, 2012: Midnight, BFF member and member of MABRC, Driveroperator, explains what he knows about "Team Quantra" & Ed Smith: A group of wealthy and technologically gifted college friends who have, for the past decade, been researching an area in Oklahoma with success, however Ed Smith was too eager to go public and therefore left the group. Ed says he left because between work, family & Bigfoot something had to go. MABRC was the organization of choice for "Team Quantra" due to Geographic convenience.
  • Jan. 01, 2013: Ed Smith states that he will hold a meeting in Houston on Jan. 02, 2013, between Himself and Quantra. This meeting will be to discuss setting up another meeting between Quantra, MABRC and select individuals.
  • JRid posts on BFF an Archived Radio Broadcast from 2009, in which Ed Smith elaborates on the capabilities of Quantra/Original-6. This broadcast is consistent with Driveroperator's post on Dec. 30. Bigfoot Evidence reports same broadcast a few hours later.
  • Driveroperator alludes on BFF to the possible involvement of legal council regarding Quantra's rights to possession of a specimen. This may explain the time delay & the 90 page document said to be forthcoming.
  • Jan. 02, 2013: Ed Smith clears up background and explains the evolution of the ORIG-6 to Team Quantra: 1.) ORIG-6 founded in early 1990's, small scale and fun. 2.) Early 2000's ORIG-6 research & projects become larger scale in multiple states. 3.) ORIG-6 dabble in DNA, but decide capture of a live specimen is best. 4.) Ed Smith designs a trap - Trap or Traps are fabricated in Tulsa by business associate. 5.) ORIG-6 use Oil & Gas business as cover to hide their growing Capture Project needs. 6.) Capture Project grows to 42+ participants. 7.) ORIG-6 cease operations in late 2011. 8.) Team Quantra formed in Virginia by former ORIG-6 members and like-minded business associates, June 2012. 9.) Quantra owns rights to past research and documentaries.
  • Jan. 02, 2013: Meeting between Ed Smith and Team Quantra was suppose to take place this evening, according to Ed Smith.
  • Jan. 03, 2013: Well over 24 hours pass without any update/communication from anyone at all.
  • Jan. 04, 2013: Melissa Hovey states on BFF that she is in private communication with Ed Smith, and that her questions are being answered. Melissa states she will publish the answers when she is done getting the answers. Possible "answers" publication date, Jan. 05, 2013.
  • Jan. 05, 2013: Ed answers Melissa, Round One: 1.) Ed Smith states that a "Bridging Group" of select "Independent Researchers", including Melissa Hovey are to have a meeting with Quantra, and will be shown extensive "Hard Evidence", which Ed has not yet witnessed. 2.) Ed Smith names a Randy Harrington regarding the documentary DVDs. 3.) Ed Smith describes "The Trap".
  • The Trap: 1.) Not a Clam Shell Trap. 2.) Made of Steel, Aluminum and Carbon Fiber. 3.) Dimensions (in feet): 11.5W x 17.8L x 8.2H. 4.) Triggered by 2 weight sensing modules that blow explosive cylinder trip latches, snapping a sliding door shut!. 5.) Oxygen is temporarily removed to make specimen unconscious. 6.) Powered by 6 to 8 12volt batteries in a 24volt configuration. 6.) Baited, variable camouflage capabilities & easily transportable.

Edited by Mounty

I was hoping to have these responses from Ed before posting this morning. I have them now. I was asked my personal opinion. I have no opinion at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Question: What is the approximate weight of the cage? What is the approximate cost for 1 cage?

Ed Smith: The weight is 2983 lbs stripped down with the standard buildout and no special requirements. Weight in place is 4206 lbs with N2 Tanks, Batteries, etc and no camouflage.

Generally speaking $ 31,817.09 each.

Question: Is there more than one of these cages? If so, how many?

Ed Smith:

Yes, 6 in the field

1 ready stand by

And 1 reserve.

Total of 8 all to gather not counting the prototype.

Question: I am assuming this cage is on private property?

Ed Smith: Yes, capture site examination site and repository. No public land were utilized during any on the O-6 research projects.

Question: How did you (or the members of Quantra) come up with the specifics on how to build this cage, and the specifics for the tranquilizers and "knock out gas"?

Ed Smith: It's not a cage it’s a crate.

The shipping container was the first choice but it could not support our modifications. I went back to the drawing board and began with what was needed and worked backwards. The other members of O-6 really let me run with it, the unit had to be strong, logistically functional, and autonomous. We had to have communication, video feeds, status monitoring and the ability to operate in all weather conditions

The knock down gas system is pretty straight forward storage tanks, supply manifold, servo valves and distribution system. Nitrogen was chosen because it is an inert gas. N2 will force the Oxygen out of the small space volume of the trap unit and the specimen would drop in unconsciousness relatively quick if we were to use CO2 it would be to detrimental to the specimen.

The time in between the gas and the arrival of the contractors on the capture site should be no more than four to six minutes. The gas system would dispense a lower dose than the first one every three and a half minutes.

Question: The tranquilizer (I have been told) would need to be a precise measurement. Were you or this group working with a primatolgist?

Ed Smith: We had a zookeeper help with the dosage tables.

Special note (From Ed): When I'm answering the questions I'm referencing what the O-6 was doing. The Quantra Group may be doing something different I would have no way of knowing it.

I have some concerns as well with some of the things he wrote. In particular his attempt in using language that makes things sound Navy Seal cool and techie but the problem with this is that he is using the wrong lingo.

If anyone ever saw Crimson Tide you remember them getting Flash traffic messages about their orders. He claims the "ip number" in the "Flash message" verifies that it came from them. One small problem. Nobody in the tech industry refers to it as an "IP number" and I mean NOBODY. And where did he see this IP number. Was it in an email, a page, an SMS text. I am willing to bet he will not be able to properly explain where he saw the "IP number" in that message.

This rings loud of being an embellished made up tale of fantasy.

Edited by rockiessquatching

Thx Melissa

Although I still dont have much of an opinion either way its a fantastic tale to this point one that will play out one way or the other.

Thanks Melissa.

So I have a question for Cisco. How similar is this account of the trap to the one in the novel Forest Man?

Very different. In the book, they use remote control tranquilizer rifles with attached video cameras.

Guest SquatchinNY

I will say this. Melissa, if you go to a meeting, I will likely start to believe this story. That's what it comes down to for me. No meeting, no BF.

I'd like to know where they obtained the tranquilizer. Unless they gave it a big dose of Nyquil or something it isn't available to the general public.

Play by Play, Updated:

• Dec. 27, 2012: First reported on MABRC forum & Facebook, followed by Bigfoot Evidence.
  • Report was of a text message leaked by Ed Smith.
  • The text was sent by a member of the Mid-America Bigfoot Research Center, Quantra Team (The Original 6).
  • The text stated "Daisy is in the Box", which is a code phrase for a Bigfoot (possibly Female) has been captured.
  • The Rumour Mill fires up.
  • Dec. 27, 2012: D.W. Lee does not deny the capture, and states that it did not happen in Oklahoma.
  • Dec. 28, 2012: Bigfoot Evidence reports that the Bigfoot Chicks interviewed D.W. Lee, who stated a trap was specially designed with a trigger set to close if a 350+ pound weight steps on a plate, and that a team of privately contracted scientist will examine the evidence.
  • Dec. 28, 2012: Ed Smith reports that the Bigfoot was moved from the capture site to the examination site during the early morning hours (12 miles between the two sites).
  • MABRC website crashes due to too many hits.
  • Tim Fasano says something false and not worth mentioning.
  • MABRC get their website back up and running.
  • D.W. Lee states that Ed Smith will be posting a 90 page document regarding the capture.
  • Dec. 29, 2012: More Rumours. Matt Moneymaker claims that no bigfoot has been captured. (I guess he's protecting his tv show, after all, Matt's out of work if Bigfoot is actually found; step aside Amateurs, step in Scientists)
  • Ed Smith states that he will not provide any further updates, and that any updates will come directly from Team Quantra.
  • D.W. Lee, MABRC Executive Director, has referenced us as people on the blogs, and we've been told to be patient.
  • Dec. 30, 2012: Midnight, BFF member and member of MABRC, Driveroperator, explains what he knows about "Team Quantra" & Ed Smith: A group of wealthy and technologically gifted college friends who have, for the past decade, been researching an area in Oklahoma with success, however Ed Smith was too eager to go public and therefore left the group. Ed says he left because between work, family & Bigfoot something had to go. MABRC was the organization of choice for "Team Quantra" due to Geographic convenience.
  • Jan. 01, 2013: Ed Smith states that he will hold a meeting in Houston on Jan. 02, 2013, between Himself and Quantra. This meeting will be to discuss setting up another meeting between Quantra, MABRC and select individuals.
  • JRid posts on BFF an Archived Radio Broadcast from 2009, in which Ed Smith elaborates on the capabilities of Quantra/Original-6. This broadcast is consistent with Driveroperator's post on Dec. 30. Bigfoot Evidence reports same broadcast a few hours later.
  • Driveroperator alludes on BFF to the possible involvement of legal council regarding Quantra's rights to possession of a specimen. This may explain the time delay & the 90 page document said to be forthcoming.
  • Jan. 02, 2013: Ed Smith clears up background and explains the evolution of the ORIG-6 to Team Quantra: 1.) ORIG-6 founded in early 1990's, small scale and fun. 2.) Early 2000's ORIG-6 research & projects become larger scale in multiple states. 3.) ORIG-6 dabble in DNA, but decide capture of a live specimen is best. 4.) Ed Smith designs a trap - Trap or Traps are fabricated in Tulsa by business associate. 5.) ORIG-6 use Oil & Gas business as cover to hide their growing Capture Project needs. 6.) Capture Project grows to 42+ participants. 7.) ORIG-6 cease operations in late 2011. 8.) Team Quantra formed in Virginia by former ORIG-6 members and like-minded business associates, June 2012. 9.) Quantra owns rights to past research and documentaries.
  • Jan. 02, 2013: Meeting between Ed Smith and Team Quantra was suppose to take place this evening, according to Ed Smith.
  • Jan. 03, 2013: Well over 24 hours pass without any update/communication from anyone at all.
  • Jan. 04, 2013: Melissa Hovey states on BFF that she is in private communication with Ed Smith, and that her questions are being answered. Melissa states she will publish the answers when she is done getting the answers. Possible "answers" publication date, Jan. 05, 2013.
  • Jan. 05, 2013: Ed answers Melissa: 1.) Ed Smith states that a "Bridging Group" of select "Independent Researchers", including Melissa Hovey are to have a meeting with Quantra, and will be shown extensive "Hard Evidence", which Ed has not yet witnessed. 2.) Ed Smith names a Randy Harrington regarding the documentary DVDs. 3.) Ed Smith describes "The Trap".
  • The Trap: 1.) Not a Clam Shell Trap. 2.) A Crate made of Steel, Aluminum and Carbon Fiber. 3.) Dimensions (in feet): 11.5W x 17.8L x 8.2H, weight 4200 lbs. 4.) Triggered by 2 weight sensing modules that blow explosive cylinder trip latches, snapping a sliding door shut!. 5.) Oxygen is temporarily removed (replaced with Nitrogen) to make specimen unconscious, then tranquillized. 6.) Powered by 6 to 8 12volt batteries in a 24volt configuration. 7.) Baited, variable camouflage capabilities & easily transportable. 8.) 8 traps in total, 6 in the field, 1 stand-by, 1 reserve. 9.) Equipped with remote communication, video, and monitoring. 10.) Research Team response time to capture site is 6 minutes; research sites all on private land. 11.) Cost per Trap: $31,817.09

Edited by Mounty

Guest roblester

Another thought.....Bears. ( although we are not known of where these traps are ), actually any other animals. One, a trapping license. I am not sure ( but can find out ) if it is legal at all to just put a large trap ( s ) out to catch something. Other animals will surely get in ( and the weight is of no matter, if a animal spooks and pushs down on a pressure plate, their own weight would exceed what it really is.). There was a trap for years in Oregon, it is still there ( run by parks now, and the gate is welded open ). They had to let bears out daily, and had to get permits and follow laws.( Permits should be public domain )

Now add in a trap with the ability to use tranquilizers?....I think most know it is very, very, important to know the animal being tranquilized, other wise death is very likely. Not to mention, I can not see this being legal, without special permits, even on private property. Not even sure permits would let this get by.

We are talking a possible death trap here....To humans also.

Edited by roblester

Mounty, thank you so much for the pbp. It is a good idea.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea. Its what we do in my profession to easily following along with the details of an investigation.

@roblester I'm pretty sure a 300+lbs person would not be trooping through a piece of private land so the scenario you mention would probably be highly unlikely. And if the land is private property that was owned by quantra I imagine there would be signs advising that the land is privately owned and not to trespass, if a person wasn't to head that warning then more fool them! I don't think tranquillisers are actually within the unit, they are used when they have the weight data taken from the the first Weight censor, I assume they can then get the dosage required, open a hatch (I think ed mentioned this) and fire the dart.

As for a licence for trapping! Hmmm it's an interesting thought yo raise. if this thing is for real, and they have captured a bigfoot, then with everything that has been said about quantra then I think they would have had the foresight to gain any licences required for trapping on private land. But maybe they didn't lol

As ever I'm loving the read and I hope Melissa comes back with even more questions answered :)

Guest roblester

@roblester I'm pretty sure a 300+lbs person would not be trooping through a piece of private land so the scenario you mention would probably be highly unlikely. And if the land is private property that was owned by quantra I imagine there would be signs advising that the land is privately owned and not to trespass, if a person wasn't to head that warning then more fool them! I don't think tranquillisers are actually within the unit, they are used when they have the weight data taken from the the first Weight censor, I assume they can then get the dosage required, open a hatch (I think ed mentioned this) and fire the dart.

As for a licence for trapping! Hmmm it's an interesting thought yo raise. if this thing is for real, and they have captured a bigfoot, then with everything that has been said about quantra then I think they would have had the foresight to gain any licences required for trapping on private land. But maybe they didn't lol

As ever I'm loving the read and I hope Melissa comes back with even more questions answered :)

People have been known to do stupid things, even 300 lb people. A 180 lb person jumping on a scale can make it sense well over 300 lbs.

We are talking basically a gas chamber here. I have a hard time with this being legal for saftey issues to dumb people, and animals that could go in there that are not open to hunting. ( season, etc. )

I have questions out to the few agencies that answered me on the " legality " of catching or killing a Bigfoot. ( posted those ). One of the questions is " What Federal Department do I contact for this information, and any recomendations on who to contact? ".

With proper spelling of course, I hurry on replies.

Anyway, as I said, way to may things on this topic all together. If anything, if the goal is to get attention, mission accomplished.

People have been known to do stupid things, even 300 lb people. A 180 lb person jumping on a scale can make it sense well over 300 lbs.

We are talking basically a gas chamber here. I have a hard time with this being legal for saftey issues to dumb people, and animals that could go in there that are not open to hunting. ( season, etc. )

I have questions out to the few agencies that answered me on the " legality " of catching or killing a Bigfoot. ( posted those ). One of the questions is " What Federal Department do I contact for this information, and any recomendations on who to contact? ".

With proper spelling of course, I hurry on replies.

Anyway, as I said, way to may things on this topic all together. If anything, if the goal is to get attention, mission accomplished.

Are cars legal? People kill themselves in Cars by turning them into gas chambers all the time. People also kill other people by operating them stupidly all the time, i.e. drunk driving!

My point is, everything is potentially dangerous!

I doubt Bigfoot can read, so a simple "Caution or Danger Keep Out" sign might be adequate to keep stupid people out of it, and lawyers off your back if a stupid person does venture in.

Edited by Mounty

Guest roblester

Are cars legal? People kill themselves in Cars by turning them into gas chambers all the time. People also kill other people by operating them stupidly all the time, i.e. drunk driving!

Everything is potentially dangerous. I doubt Bigfoot can read, so a simply "Caution or Danger Keep Out" sign might be adequate to keep stupid people out of it, and lawyers off your back if a stupid person does venture in.

Not sure how cars get involved.

But, they do have to be registered, insured, driven by authorised person with a valid license, and only operated in designated areas....The use of cars have many laws, and if followed, are legal....Drunk driving and killing someone during that is a felony offense. Illegally using a illegal trap, and killing a animal closed for hunting should be poaching.......

I am not asking if traps are illegal or not...I am asking what are the laws and regulations when it comes to trapping.

Traps are legal, if you have the proper permits, and during the proper season. State by State will have different laws, if any. I am trying to find the facts myself.

My point is, can I just go put a gas chamber in my back yard ( 34 acres ) that has the potential to kill Bear, Deer, Cougar, Elk, etc. ( and stupid humans ) legally?

I tend to think no right now, but I am asking.....

Trapping in Oklahoma..... ( still waiting for responses on private property )

Traps

• Legal traps: Box traps; smooth-jawed, single-spring, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; smooth-jawed, double-spring offset jawed, leg-hold steel traps with a jaw spread no greater than eight inches; enclosed trigger traps (dog-proof traps).
  • Setting traps: No trap may be set in the open or in paths, roads, or runways commonly used by persons, dogs or other domestic animals.
  • Visiting traps: Traps must be tended once each 24-hour period.
  • Legal number of traps: Residents trapping under the general annual resident trapping license may use no more than 20 traps. Residents possessing the professional license and non-resident trapping license holders have no limit on the number of traps.
  • Identification of traps: All traps must have the owner’s name attached, except for any person trapping on his own property. All traps on Department-managed lands, regardless of species being sought, must have the owner’s name attached.
  • Posting of traps: When double-spring offset jawed steel traps are used, signs must be posted conspicuously to the right and left of all entrances from public roads and highways and from adjacent lands at corners of perimeter fences. Signs must have minimum dimensions of five inches by eight inches and the wording “Traps†must be included and be conspicuous on the signs and printed in letters at least two inches tall. Persons trapping on their own property are not subject to this requirement.
  • Permission to trap: No person may trap on the inhabited land of another without first obtaining from the owner or occupant thereof a written permit to do so. This permit must be carried whenever traps are being tended. Said permission is also required to hunt but it need not be in writing.

Edited by roblester