Bigfoot And The Art Of Evasion

Guest armchairesearcher

Guest armchairesearcher

Hey BFF! I've did a search on the forum and as it appears there isn't really a thread that deals with this specifically, so I thought I'd start this up for discussion. I'm of course talking about the backbone to bigfootery. How exactly does bigfoot stay hidden?

I'm dedicating this topic entirely to discussion about how bigfoot can evade humans so efficiently and epically. Like methods he/she uses to blend in, precautions they take, and how they learn those stradegies/develop them. I'd be especially pleased to hear about theories that you've developed from your own research.

I'll contribute a little bit of my own speculation, but I just wanted to say that I have very little experience in the forest (read the name, haha), so I'm not gonna be gullible enough to say that my theories are an arrow in a penny. I'm open to people pointing out my inconsistencies. I also want to point out that I believe in the idea of the human bigfoot, not animal bigfoot, so much of my speculation will be greatly centered around that. First of all, I'll ASSUME that bigfoot has near human intelligence, including having language, a population in north america of at least 50 000, and I will restrict my theories to be mainly based on PNW residents, everywhere else squatches will simply take these stradegies EVEN more seriously then the ones in the PNW.

Firstly, (assuming bigfoot exists of course), evading humans is a huge part of their lifestyle and culture. Before their children even started learning how to crawl and speak they lecture them about these so called tiny evil hairless technologically advanced people that wander into the forest all the time, although they don't live in it. They tell them about how they cut down and steal and destroy their habitat so that they can seemingly build their own shelters, how they carry sticks that can kill an animal without even touching them by simply pointing it at them and pulling a trigger. How they build enormous trails across forests to transport themselves in horrifying metal shelters that magically move by themselves which can carry enough force to kill an animal, including them, and set up strange objects in the forests go *click* whenever something seemingly moves past them. With all this lodged into their brain, they'll want nothing more than to stay as far away as possible from these evil living tornadoes. As soon as they're old enough, their parents take them to view the humans from a distance in action. The guns, the roads, the backyards. This would be enough to motivate them from a young, young age to learn how to be an absolute ninja in hiding from these creatures in the most serious way possible. They learn how to sneak up on them and keep an eye on them, walking with agility and quietness. (note: there are many reports about how suprised the witnesses were with how little sound they made when they retreated back into the forest.) how to hide your tracks and how to cross the road efficiently safely and when to do it. Not only that, because populations of themselves and humans are rising, sasquatches have to find territories closer and closer to human development, which encourages them even more to learn how to develop evasion tactics.

I'd say that they are extremely observational of us. They try to determine how we think, where we would usually be in the woods, and at what time of day and what kind of activity we would be doing. They recognize certain people who come into their territory, and what they usually do, although keeping in mind that humans can be unpredictable. Hell, I think they might even be able to know when the person is looking for them in particular! They keep in touch with other bigfoot groups and how much activity is happening in those peoples territory. And always keep tabs on what human activity is happening in their territory. Here's a little thought. How often is a bigfoot watching you when you go into the woods? a little more than we might think? These would be people that have spent their entire lives living in the forest, they could pull off stalking someone with the human not even noticing them anymore than they would notice a dead leaf, probably.

I really like to go beyond the if and focus on the how, because I really don't get anywhere by focusing on the if. Overall, I think the chance of bigfoot being non-existent is higher then the chance of bigfoot being real to be honest, but then again, it's fun to think about how something like bigfoot could exist out there, (although if I actually saw a bigfoot I know that now I'd have a better reason to believe in it) and I just wanna wait and see if something ever does come up, like everyone else. Cheers!

Edited by armchairesearcher

BFF Patron

Three words: downed fighter pilot

two X's: behind enemy lines....

Edited by bipedalist

I think modern man has lost the skill needed to be stealthy. I am sure at one time when we needed to be stealthy to hunt we were very good at it. It was either be good at staying hidden or go hungry. Now to put it in BF terms they would have to know how to move quietly in the woods or go hungry. Think how much food it would take daily to feed that 9 ft body. I think they are always hungry and therefore always "On the hunt." Therefore , rarely seen.

okay, hows come we can't see them.

1) they hide. They hide behind rocks and trees and under bushes. Behind leaves you can't see them very well. They lie on the ground beside logs etc, in the logs' shadows, blending in to look like part of the shadows. On the ground in plain sight with a garnish of debris. And you walk by.

2) they are camouflaged. I think their hair has some kind of optical properties that scatter light. Where they are it looks dappled and not solid because their hair reflects some but not all light. Maybe. They stand still, you can't see them.

3) They are many different colors so you never know what the heck you are looking for.

4) They are patient and can be still for long times. Don't try to outwait one.

5) They are nocturnal, at least partially. You can't see them without light.

6) They are silent if they wish to be, bar the occasional story of one tumbling down a hill they meant to walk up.

7) It's obvious we are an object of study. They apparently know a little English or some do, it seems. Know your enemy and keep him close.

8 ) Oh, and they live closer than we think. But no matter where they live, you know they aren't real. You don't expect to see them so if you do see them, you say that must have been a bear!

9) They can run away fast and thus seem to disappear at times.

10) They understand about negative space and tend to occupy it.

11) And that infrasound that controls you or whatever it does.

And ways we cannot even guess, probably.

Edited by Kings Canyon

With all of the sighting reports? I'm not so sure they are as stealthy as we think they are. Look at the PGF........that creature allowed two cowboys and three horses to ride right up on it.

The key is is that 99 percent of the people are not even looking for it when they see it, and the 1 percent that do go out looking for it, are not there to collect a type specimen.

Guest Cervelo

Next time your in the woods with someone else, turn your back and have them walk 30 steps and stop.

Now they can't be wearing pink but I'm not saying you got to be in full camo either.

Turn around see how long it takes you to see them.

Try it with them hiding behind a tree or other cover and you cover your ears so you can't tell what direction they went.

Throw on some camo or a ghille suit and you might have a hard time seeing someone from 10' away if their sitting still and you walk up on them.

Standing still is the greatest cover of all even out in the open.

I've had deer walk up to me while I'm turkey hunting. Full camo head to toe sitting on the ground and have actually poked one with my shotgun.

Had other hunters walk by close enough to touch as well.

We pick up movement very well... things standing still not so much.

I don't think Bigfoot has any extrordinary hiding skill any more than a mountain lion or deer.

BFF Patron

This is true, I was "suited" up for an early leave on a thru-hike of the Great Smokies one year, and when I started off down the trail near dawn, a fully camouflaged turkey hunter (prob. too close to the trail), stood up right next to me and about gave me heart failure.

Thing was I was tent camped nearby to get that early start and still had no idea.

After recovery in retrospect, I already knew how easy it was to remain still and hidden. Having done a ton of trailwork, I frequently am out and about either working or resting after working in the field. It is truly amazing how much noise other hikers make and also how oblivious they are to both the noise and profile or outline of the typical human being remaining still.

Edited by bipedalist

Guest Cervelo

When hunting with a good friend of mine we would walk in and one person would be dropped off. The other would walk off to his predetermined location.

We had a time and a signal that the first person knew that the other would be returning to his location and walk out together.

So imagine there's something walking towards you and whistling, you know who it is and what direction it's coming from.

The guy coming forward, he can't see you, he only knows the approximate area your in as he's walking towards you whistling.

While a dumb game we started making it a game where the guy furthest away would whistle and that meant he was coming (don't shoot) and then it was a stalking game to see who saw who first.

"Gotcha" was the call out when you saw him first.

The person walking almost always got "Gotch'd" first but not always.

What was fascinating about this was when you where the guy sitting on the ground hearing the other person coming, that person would materialize sometimes one second he wasn't there the next he was, even though you could hear him, you couldn't see him yet.

Edited by Cervelo

I've had deer walk up to me while I'm turkey hunting. Full camo head to toe sitting on the ground and have actually poked one with my shotgun.

You counted coup on a deer. That's awesome!

Standing still is the greatest cover of all even out in the open.

We pick up movement very well... things standing still not so much.

I don't think Bigfoot has any extrordinary hiding skill any more than a mountain lion or deer.

I don't either. I think that the sasquatch's invisibility shield is science's unwillingness to investigate the evidence...which includes thousands of sightings, including many of an animal that doesn't seem to be that much better able to - or inclined to - hide than anything else out there. And you know that if the phenomenon is real, the sightings are just a fraction of actual encounters.

That said: many reports seem to indicate that sasquatch do indeed use standing still - even in the open - as a means to avoid detection. This is one of relatively few sasquatch behaviors that I'm not aware of for known apes. But it makes much sense that an animal might adopt it in the temperate zone, where covering vegetation isn't there for significant parts of the year. (And yep, other animals - deer the most prominent example - use it too.)

Edited by DWA

Guest Cervelo

Rockape,

Guess I could have worded that different LOL!

Have had a bird land on my rifle

A squirrel use me as a lunch pad to get on the tree I'm sitting next to, thats a strange sight to see a squirrel hauling butt straight at you!

A turkey poke it's head between me and my hunting partner while we sat shoulder to shoulder on the edge of field

Numerous owls, hawks, ect fly by my head while in a tree stand

There's plenty to see out there even if the big guy never shows up!

Edited by Cervelo

okay, hows come we can't see them.

1) they hide. They hide behind rocks and trees and under bushes. Behind leaves you can't see them very well. They lie on the ground beside logs etc, in the logs' shadows, blending in to look like part of the shadows. On the ground in plain sight with a garnish of debris. And you walk by.

2) they are camouflaged. I think their hair has some kind of optical properties that scatter light. Where they are it looks dappled and not solid because their hair reflects some but not all light. Maybe. They stand still, you can't see them.

3) They are many different colors so you never know what the heck you are looking for.

4) They are patient and can be still for long times. Don't try to outwait one.

5) They are nocturnal, at least partially. You can't see them without light.

6) They are silent if they wish to be, bar the occasional story of one tumbling down a hill they meant to walk up.

7) It's obvious we are an object of study. They apparently know a little English or some do, it seems. Know your enemy and keep him close.

8 ) Oh, and they live closer than we think. But no matter where they live, you know they aren't real. You don't expect to see them so if you do see them, you say that must have been a bear!

9) They can run away fast and thus seem to disappear at times.

10) They understand about negative space and tend to occupy it.

11) And that infrasound that controls you or whatever it does.

And ways we cannot even guess, probably.

Is this sarcasm?