Bigfoot And The Art Of Evasion

Guest armchairesearcher

One way they can hide is by constructing screens. This can be accomplished by weaving branches (with small leaves) from bushes in between 2 or 3 trees. I found such a screen this past summer. It looked alot like the Idaho video the college student took. Anyways, I took a picture of my partner standing beside it, and then behind it. When we came back 2 days later it was gone (after being there for almost 2 months). They seem very astute at manipulating the environment to accomodate thier needs.

BFF Patron

^

This

Guest VioletX

One way they can hide is by constructing screens. This can be accomplished by weaving branches (with small leaves) from bushes in between 2 or 3 trees. I found such a screen this past summer. It looked alot like the Idaho video the college student took. Anyways, I took a picture of my partner standing beside it, and then behind it. When we came back 2 days later it was gone (after being there for almost 2 months). They seem very astute at manipulating the environment to accomodate thier needs.

I think I know what video you mean, but did not see a screen in it???

• 1 year later...
BFF Patron

They are largely a night people what more needs to be said.  

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/legends/choanito.htm

Note the association with self=generated night lights, LOL. 

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

I think that once we get over the notion that we are intellectually superior as a species, and start realizing that this other species of homonids is just as cunning as we, but in their own environs, then we might begin to solve this mystery.

So, what we likely have, IMO, is an intelligent being with generations of woodcraft training walking circles around most of us while we blunder about in forests that we have long forgotten how to walk in.

Preach it brother!

Guest Crowlogic

The mega stealth Bigfoot possibility has problems.  Everything a living thing does requires energy.  Some animals invest most of their energy in reproduction but sacrifice brain power and survivability power.  We as a species invested in brain power but sacrificed physical power and natural defences.  Bigfoot seemingly able to erase all traces of it's existence then has made a decision as a species to hide.  But specifically what is it hiding from?  It is reportedly big and powerful and therefor a top tier predator.  If it is hiding from specifically humans when did this evolutionary adaption take place?  Modern humans haven't been around all that long on an evolutionary time scale so if not that then a mental decision.  I see the constant maintenance of stealth as severely hampering other necessary activities for species success and survival.  Remember it's not only the stealth of seeing the creatures themselves but also all of the ancillary traces of their presence such as dead bodies, scat, hair, dens, and tracks.  It can be argued that all of this has been found but none confirmed by science as unqualified fact.  

Over my years of hunting, one thing that still doesn't cease to amaze me is how difficult even large animals can be to pick out of cover when they are motionless.  I'm not talking heavy cover, either.  I was taught in my single digit years to look for the horizontal line of a back or belly against the mostly vertical lines of trees & brush, the shine of an eye, or light reflected off a rubbed antler.

I once watched a good 4 point buck run into a small slough which I then glassed for not quite an hour before he made his fatal mistake.  The sun flashed off his rack when he turned his head slightly to watch a truck go by on a nearby road. He had been standing motionless watching me until then with just his upper neck & head showing above the bank of the slough.  After the truck passed he resumed watching me.  I had a dead solid rest, no wind, and could now see him clearly.  I put my round through the center of his white throat patch at 200 yards... 

When I went through sniper school not one of the 18 students were able to pick out a ghillied up instructor in a small patch of light bush, AFTER we were told he was in there.  I'm not talking rookies, either, my classmates were 17 experienced operators/hunters/outdoorsman/shooters, without a question the most talented & bright group of people I have ever trained with.

So I'm am not surprised that when they choose to boogers are next to impossible to see.  They are bright, naturally ghillied up, and whether by instinct or plan, know how to move & use cover to their advantage.

I think they do make mistakes ( road crossing sightings seem to me to be very often the result of misjudgment), but I suspect that often when they are seen by humans, they intend to be seen.  One of the guys I respect most in this field is very strongly of this opinion...

Edited by NDT

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Hi Guys, I've not posted in awhile but i had to jump at this thread. This is a great topic and I think discussions like this will help increase our understanding of how they operate. From what I've found about the creatures in KY, they're smart. I think they mostly rely on our being oblivious to their presence more than anything else. When out on a hike thru the woods, a person will stop in their tracks if they hear a twig break, glance around quickly, and then simply dismiss it as nothing and continue on. Of course not every twig snap is Bigfoot, but if we hear one it's a good rule to take your time and look long and careful at your surroundings. I've found old Big and hairy likes to stand close to tree trunks and place one arm around the tree either in front or behind. They're real good at playing a statue and standing perfectly still for as long as you care to look for them. I think they're counting on you quickly dismissing anything and going on with your trek.

Another thing that impressed me is their foot strike. Again, I'm talking only about the creatures/tracks I've had encounters with here in KY, The front of their feet strike first when they walk, not heel to toe as we do. Almost looks like they're flat footed to me. I know Dr Meldrum talks about the midtarsel break but I think that is likely a push off effect in the track IMO. (around here anyway, out West may be different because of the terrain?) Any way you look at it though their normal mode of transportation is stealth walking, textbook silent bipedal movement taught to Rangers and Special forces.

They're quiet too. Another member of our group and I were trekking and we spooked one about 60 yards from us. It took off running thru a cedar thicket at high speed. There was enough room between the trees it wasn't crashing thru branches or brush. But the thing that bewildered us both was, the creature moved out fast without making a sound. We didn't hear any bipedal footfalls while it was running away. We both saw it, knew what it was and what it was doing, but didn't hear a sound of its movement during the few seconds it took to make it's getaway.

Something I watch for especially if I'm trekking alone. These creatures seem to be extremely curious about us. And, they'll follow at times. It's amazing how close they can get without the average person realizing they're near. This is why I think they're smart. I believe they use our perception of movement while we walk to shadow us closely. Say we're walking North, our perception as we walk is that the trees are moving South as we pass them by. As long as any movement we may see in our peripheral vision seems the same as the terrain moving, we won't think twice about it and usually we won't even glance to our left or right because we expect that movement we saw while walking was simply the trees we were passing by.  

I've been shadowed before and the way this one did it was to flank me, move way out of my sight range, get ahead of me and move back in off to my right or left, then hide behind a tree and wait for me to arrive. As I passed by, it was able to step out from behind a tree, get a good detailed look at me and then move around behind me without alarming me to it's presence. (I was going North, the creature's movement was like everything else I passed by, to the south as I walked) Then after I passed by, it simply repeated the same step again. I think this is how some sightings come to be, If I'm right, the creature misjudges the path the human will take and the unsuspecting trekker walks directly up to the creature rather than to the right or left of it. Now, if I hear a twig snap way off to my left or right, after my initial look around, I'll continue on for about 50 to 75 feet then stop and walk backwards (back up) a few feet. I've had one real good sighting by using this method. Weird maybe, but it takes away the perception of movement that these creatures rely on, at least that's what I think. It could have been dumb luck too.

I think we need to alter how we perceive things when we're out trekking. Not every twig snap is Bigfoot, but we should treat it as such until we are sure nothing is there. In other words, take a good long look around when you hear or sense something, twigs normally don't snap themselves, and that feeling of hair rising on your neck, or a cold chill shiver doesn't happen without cause. We need to pay close attention to the tree trunks when we look around. I don't think it's safe to assume a creature will be crouched or rolled into a ball to escape our range of vision, the ones in KY seem comfortable simply standing still hugged up to a tree.

We should also be aware of any discomfort with our ears, like a fluttering sound or a feeling like a bug is buzzing in your ear, any sensation that makes you wanna swat at your ear. This is just a guess but I've had some sightings within moments  when this happened to me and I'm not alone in that regard. I don't know what it is, if it's our body's reaction, fear or if they're doing something to cause it, but be aware of it and if it happens, we need to stop and super seriously look around.

Chris B.

But specifically what is it hiding from?  It is reportedly big and powerful and therefor a top tier predator.  If it is hiding from specifically humans when did this evolutionary adaption take place?  Modern humans haven't been around all that long on an evolutionary time scale so if not that then a mental decision.  I see the constant maintenance of stealth as severely hampering other necessary activities for species success and survival.  Remember it's not only the stealth of seeing the creatures themselves but also all of the ancillary traces of their presence such as dead bodies, scat, hair, dens, and tracks.  It can be argued that all of this has been found but none confirmed by science as unqualified fact.  

Its not to a predator's advantage to not be stealthy.

Animals that think they might get eaten generally don't like it and will try to do something to prevent it :)  A predator that is really obvious going about its affairs is not going to be particularly successful.

Hi Chris,

Great post!

And it doesn't hurt to look up in some cases, especially in the winter when a lot of trees have lost all their leaves.  One friend described as a little one was high up in a pine tree and a couple of adults were trying to coax it to come down.  :keeporder:

Guest lightheart

Hey Chris I think you are on to something with your theory about the north to south movement not catching our eye. i have been stopping more frequently and looking behind me. So far nothing but i suspect it could lead to surprising one since that is not what they expect us to do. I also have been stopping just to listen and get a sense of my surroundings often. Some of our oblivion in the woods comes from rushing even on our days off on a walk or hike for pleasure. First and foremost I want to remember that it brings me joy just being in the woods. If a Sasquatch wants to visit for a while well all the better. LOL I recently observed people walking right over some really well-defined tracks. They were looking at their companions, down the trail, all around.......everywhere but down. I will have to say I was truly astounded at this. But it does explain along with the fact that they are primarily nocturnal  why they can be in many unexpected places and we don't have a clue that they are there or have been the night before.