Thoughts On A Comment From Dr Meldrum

BobbyO

Hmmm. That's strange. I had heard that she died a few years ago......

:mosking:

If Meldrum wants to be taken seriously, he shouldn't even joke like that. It makes me think he flipped to the "lets take money from the suckers camp of researchers".

Edited by Irish73

^^^Well, ummm, yeah.

I get that strange bedfellows happen when one is a scientist in a field science has mostly abandoned.  But one must stay above the mess; and even though some of us think that his opinion is obvious (OK, to us) from what he said, it is certainly not staying above the mess.

That's how I read it.

There's a sort of MN understatement in "Some very different [my emphasis] perspectives about sasquatch."

Guest Darrell

Well he posted that on his facebook page exactly how its posted by BobbyO. If he meant it to be sarcasitic he didnt write it that way. Hopefully he was trying to show the humor in some of the extreme craziness that exitst in the fringe of this phenomina.

This thread wouldn't even be here if he added a ;) at the end of the comment Darrell.

^Thom Cantrall claims to have an elder Bigfoot who is "teaching" him the ancient ways of nature and such. They communicate via a telepathic connection across time and space. He is strongly in the quasi paranormal camp. AFAIC, he has little if no credability, which is why I question Dr Meldrum's association with him.

Serious ?

Can you point me to where he claims this please ?

He co hosted a podcast show a couple years back with Arla Williams and another researcher, Midnight Walkers I think, where he referenced his bigfoot "teacher" quite often.  He also referenced it on a MBRT podcast last year when he was plugging his conference in Wa state.

Meldrum is actually a pretty funny guy, and doesn't pull punches towards people he deems less than credible.  Cantrall is a mind-speaker, and is taken with a grain of salt by most.  Meldrum isn't an idiot.  He was more than likely being facetious.

Edited by PacNWSquatcher

SSR Team

Good, I hope so PAC, thanks.

Guest Darrell

Meldrum is actually a pretty funny guy, and doesn't pull punches towards people he deems less than credible.  Cantrall is a mind-speaker, and is taken with a grain of salt by most.  Meldrum isn't an idiot.  He was more than likely being facetious.

Meldrum is definately not an idiot, far from it. But as a crusty old Sergeant Major told me a long time ago: "a man's true character is shown in the company he keeps".  

Well, I'm cutting Meldrum more slack than that.

When the scientific mainstream isn't touching the topic with a ten-foot-pole, these are the people he gets to educate.  He's trying to do that.

Everyone in squatchery seems to have accepted that the strange bedfellows go with the territory.  It's teeth-gritting, but there it is.

I think that the quote in the OP just was lowering himself - unnecessarily - into the mess.

Guest Darrell

^Point taken, but I think a big problem in this phenomina is that the "elite" are not held to the standard they should be. When people make money from the phenomina and take advantage of their standing for financial gain then I feel they can, and eventually do, become corrupted.

Darrell,

Do you know if Jeff uses the money to say...fund his research ?

I for one appreciate his work an efforts regardin' the subject. I've had the pleasure to chit chat with him over the phone, letters an emails, never paid him a dime, he's a credit to the field of sasquatch research in my opinion. If he makes a few bucks here an there for his efforts, good on him. 

Pat...

Guest Darrell

^ I would think he makes a very decent living being a college professor. I think he is a very intelligent guy who sees any potential financial gain this phenomina will give him. And, IMHO, if it means riding the fence so he can profit from it he will.  I have seen him lecture in person years ago, and he is a friendly and well spoken gentleman, I do admire that. But his associations with controversial personalities and evidence , like Thom Cantrall & the Skookum Cast, only make sense if he desires to continue speaking at conferences, selling books, and leading expeditions. All of which he is paid for.

Well, sometimes it's not about the money.

If a megamillions NFL cornerback can say that about his salary negotiations, I can say it about Meldrum.

Call the Skookum Cast controversial.  But if anyone with scientific chops is gonna put his name on a piece of sasquatch evidence, that is as good as any.  No one has shown it not to be what it is alleged to be.  (The kneeling-elk thesis is a non-starter.  Kind of need tracks where the elk puts its feet to stand up.)  Daris Swindler - a prominent name in the field - went from skeptic to proponent on the strength of this piece alone.

Again, his association with these people is for one reason:  to get the scientific slant on this question in front of people who care about it.  CNN isn't exactly working, and the mainstream isn't paying attention.

If I were in something for the money, what Meldrum is doing and where and how he is doing it would be on my list of things NOT to do.

I can't tell if there is another agenda here.  But it's a non-starter to slam Meldrum for trying to reach his prime audience.  He made what might have been a bit of a mistake this time in dipping to the level of the junk circus that is almost all the field right now.  But other than this, I have seen him staying above the mud and pitching the science.

Guest Darrell

Well he posted that on his facebook page exactly how its posted by BobbyO. If he meant it to be sarcasitic he didnt write it that way. Hopefully he was trying to show the humor in some of the extreme craziness that exitst in the fringe of this phenomina.

This thread wouldn't even be here if he added a ;) at the end of the comment Darrell.

^Thom Cantrall claims to have an elder Bigfoot who is "teaching" him the ancient ways of nature and such. They communicate via a telepathic connection across time and space. He is strongly in the quasi paranormal camp. AFAIC, he has little if no credability, which is why I question Dr Meldrum's association with him.

Serious ?

Can you point me to where he claims this please ?

Here is a link from the BFF:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/3522-mnbrt-mnbrt-radio-with-thom-cantrall-mar-222011/?hl=cantrall