N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Personally, I extend that 99.9% rationale to most things I hear or read in the media, let alone Bigfoot. Especially if it originates from one of the two particular fields of human activity we are not allowed to discuss here. It rises to 100% concerning the other one.

• Upvote 2

SSR Team

Yep I'm with you on that too Parkie..;)

There's two things we can all do to make both the bigfooting world and the real world a better place. One, apply skepticism to what you hear. Try and evaluate the information and see all sides of the argument. Two, go outside your confirmation bias bubble. Only listening to people who think and feel like you do is a path to madness. JMO.

Plus on that last, parkie. Brian, really appreciated #55. Getting insight into Sharon's thought processes and outlook was quite educational. If nothing else, she deserves credit for being considerate of the feelings of those she disagrees with (excepting certain high profile individuals), a trait that would only improve the conversation on this forum if adopted on all sides of the debate, IMNTBHO!

Agreed. To Brian: There was a comment Sharon made toward the end of the show where she stated that she always offers to lend her skills to groups looking to sharpen their scientific/investigative processes, yet no one has ever taken her up on that (which made her chuckle). To me, it seemed she was subtly offering your group the same opportunity, but the invite just hung in the air for a second or two before you moved on. <awkward>

Would you ever consider asking for her help in analyzing your volumes of data (you called them observations), or even setting up tactics and methods for field use? She stated you guys are way ahead of others in term of your practices, yet I definitely got the feeling she feels there is room for improvement. So any thought to bringing her on as a consultant? Haha. If nothing else, get her out to "X" and get her under a rock shower. "Explain THAT, lady!" Heh.

Plus on that last, parkie. Brian, really appreciated #55. Getting insight into Sharon's thought processes and outlook was quite educational. If nothing else, she deserves credit for being considerate of the feelings of those she disagrees with (excepting certain high profile individuals), a trait that would only improve the conversation on this forum if adopted on all sides of the debate, IMNTBHO!

We've heard Ohio Howl-type vocalizations and returns in the area, even during the day. We've heard the occasional whoop. I've personally heard whistles in the dead of night (so clearly not birds, though it didn't sound like any bird) that was responded to by a tongue click/cluck sound (the click/cluck thing also led to an aggressive display the next day when one of our guys made the sound back). We've also heard sounds like pant hoots (a chimp thing), assorted growls, chatter, whispering chatter, and strange thudding sounds that you feel more than you hear. 

Additionally, we've heard honks and coughs that are hard to pin on a more mundane animal (almost elk-like, though there are no elk in the region). The strangest (and rarest) things we've heard are a weird swishing gurgling sound as if something was sloshing its tongue around in its mouth (we've heard that from multiple directions at once) and very strange multi-tonal almost choir-like sounds. 

I appreciate the time you have taken to report these experiences. The range of otherwise unexplainable sounds is truly fascinating.

I do think your guest is a very articulate and intelligent individual Bipto. There is just an E-quotient missing in her view of witness accounts. I think most of the ill feelings that develop between witnesses and their accounts and skeptics is the fact they have very  different goals. Science wants, as it were, to use the personal account as a step towards proof, but can't or won't. The witness usually has no goal along those lines, as he/she has already arrived at a very satisfactory level of personal proof. This public v. personal proof collision fuels a lot of the misunderstanding. It is not helped by how someone is likely to resent having their sensory experience chalked up to hallucination, as she apparently does.

And there is this too: You asked (to paraphrase)...What is the harm if someone chooses to believe in something that doesn't exist? (Great question, BTW). She could only toss out some lame examples of how govt. resources would be wasted (Yeah, THAT never happens otherwise,right?) or misguiding your children. What her failure to articulate anything really detrimental tells me is there is a resentment at work there. The source of that resentment, I believe, is the idea that somebody may be having an experience she and her chosen discipline can't share in. What else is there left to do but tell everyone else they are not having as much fun as they think they are? Very parental and so not useful. 

• Upvote 2

We've heard Ohio Howl-type vocalizations and returns in the area, even during the day. We've heard the occasional whoop. I've personally heard whistles in the dead of night (so clearly not birds, though it didn't sound like any bird) that was responded to by a tongue click/cluck sound (the click/cluck thing also led to an aggressive display the next day when one of our guys made the sound back). We've also heard sounds like pant hoots (a chimp thing), assorted growls, chatter, whispering chatter, and strange thudding sounds that you feel more than you hear. 

Additionally, we've heard honks and coughs that are hard to pin on a more mundane animal (almost elk-like, though there are no elk in the region). The strangest (and rarest) things we've heard are a weird swishing gurgling sound as if something was sloshing its tongue around in its mouth (we've heard that from multiple directions at once) and very strange multi-tonal almost choir-like sounds. 

Brian, I imagine that the NAWAC has compared those click/cluck sounds to known animal vocalizations in an effort to rule out a conventional source. Any chance you have a list of the possible candidates you compared against?

I ask because some years ago my brother and I were camping in a remote area of central Ontario, and we both heard vocalizations that I can best describe as tongue/palate 'click/cluck'-ing type sounds, 3-4 seconds duration, that changed pitch and tone several times. They were loud enough to stop both of us dead in our tracks, and were immediately echoed by another source some distance away on the opposite side of our camp. I've never heard anything even remotely like it before or since. I've searched high and low among vocaliztions of the fauna typical to that area to try and find an explanation for what we heard, thus far without success.  I'm curious if you guys had any idea for comparators that I haven't thought of. 

We've not found any similar sounds. The next most likely source for a sound like this would, I suppose, be some kind of bird, but we have experienced birders and outdoorsman in the group and they've not heard the sound before. 

Yes, bird would be my first guess. Ptarmigan maybe? Grouse or woodcock? Not sure if their predicted ranges match. 

Cluck-Cluck

"Onomatopoeia, I don't want to see ya, speakin' in a foreign tongue...." 

(This day just needed some John Prine)

The correlation to ape activity is very high based on the observation of the investigator who was charged during Operation Persistence. He listened to at least two animals clicking and clucking back and forth to one another for quite a while before he did it himself. The tall bipedal figure that growled and came at him immediately afterward weren't no chicken, that's for sure. 

get her out to "X" and get her under a rock shower. "Explain THAT, lady!" Heh.

But we deal with a skeptics dual-standard of proof in favor of their favorite paradigm i.e. "Homo Sapiens have been known to throw stones so it was 100% proven to be a modern human. Bears have been known to push trees over so it was 100% a bear, no further investigation required or warranted."