N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Foothills of the Elkhorn Mountains about five miles SSE of Helena, Montana, where my wife and I grew up. Altitude at our house is roughly 4,414'. We have mulies and white tail, lots of elk (naturally), black bear and and very likely some griz, though not officially, wolf the same and mountain lion (saw one about 80' from my front door in August of '11). The red triangle roughly outlines our 2 acres with a small creek along the NNE boundary. If you follow the green belt of the creek up hill in the overview shot you can see it extends past the densest development. Most of the creek runs in a ravine which, at the upstream end of our acreage is 25 to 30 feet deep with extremely dense vegetation including russian olive, fir, pine, spruce, choke cherry, aspen, giant ropeweed and some seriously thick wild rose and clematis vines (think a highway for Tarzan) that literally climb and kill the trees. When we first moved up here from the Helena Valley in August of '06, it took me 2 hours with a saw and machete to make a narrow path through about 30' of it to where I could actually see the creek. That was near the downstream end of the property where the ravine slopes are less precipitous and it is only about 15' deep. Excluding the ravine and the front yard, most of the land runs a 4 to 8 percent grade and is fairly broken with bedrock running from 12" below to 15' above the surface, which makes heavy impacts on the ground tend to reverberate. While our daughter was still in college she returned home one summer evening and came down to our family room where my wife and I were watching a movie. She said she could feel the sub-woofer vibrating through the concrete driveway on the other end of the house and 6' higher. Made those bi-pedal footfalls pretty intense.  

post-22377-0-75575400-1381802764_thumb.j

post-22377-0-21511300-1381802793_thumb.j

• Upvote 2

SSR Team

Great post Airdale as usual, thanks for sharing.

Bipto, I've got to say, what a top, top show #55 is.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was an excellent and informative hour and a half or so..

Both yourself and Sharon made a hell of a lot of sense about a hell of a lot of stuff.

Big thumbs up.

SSR Team

Here you go TT..;)

http://thebigfootshow.com/

Bipto, in light of recent announcements from our British pal, is there any chance you are mistaking a wood ape for an undiscovered bear hybrid?

Thx.

Bipto, in light of recent announcements from our British pal, is there any chance you are mistaking a wood ape for an undiscovered bear hybrid?

We believe that to be highly unlikely.

But a polar bear in the Himalayas? That would be super cool. 

Just heard Show 55 Bipto. Great conversation. I did have to scratch my head though at the comment your guest made concerning anecdotal BF accounts. Something along the lines of "I would never say they are lying or crazy..."  So, that leaves us with what? Misidentification and hallucination? Really? That's really her explanation for all this stuff? Wow.

I think what rubs me against my fur about most so-called skeptics is the implied condescension...like this. You know, the unspoken position that people who claim to have witnessed something like it have to be a little d-u-m. Or, not as smart as our commenter, at the least. This comes with substituting your judgment for another, when you weren't there.  It is really distasteful to me.  

Too many "skeptics" don't understand that the word should be viewed as a verb, not a noun. It's not a weapon to win an argument. It's a process. A way of thinking. Even simple minded believers can be skeptical. Nobody has a monopoly on it. 

I think Sharon's one of the good ones. They're out there. 

Regarding BFS 055, I just posted this to the BFS blog. You might like it. http://thebigfootshow.com/2013/10/18/what-would-yosemite-sam-do/

SSR Team

Yeah I'm getting there with this way of thinking too B now.

I'm actually classing myself these days as a compete sceptic to 99.9% of Sasquatch related such ( well not that much, but you know what I mean ) yet know 100% that they exist.

That's completely possible isn't it and this is what you're saying ?