N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

I would seriously doubt there's a policy on BF DNA....any more than there would be a policy regarding any other animal.

There could be a policy on human DNA, but labs would have a built in excuse that they just didn't get any DNA. It's never a guarantee to get it from trace stains etc. whether they got paid to try or not. I suppose it would be interesting to test the idea that just mentioning the word bigfoot has an effect on their efforts, or whether the entity paying for the tests is from an official law enforcement agency or just an average Joe.

Guest Cervelo

SY,

What the heck are you talking about....some sort of nation wide DNA lab conspiracy enforced by who? Good grief dude!

There's another thread for this started by Branco he/she is apparently fully on board with it.. please join us over there for some fun!!!

SY,

What the heck are you talking about....some sort of nation wide DNA lab conspiracy enforced by who? Good grief dude!

There's another thread for this started by Branco he/she is apparently fully on board with it.. please join us over there for some fun!!!

Thats quite a reaction....

Bipto, I am sure you have answered this before, so I apologize in advance for not reading this entire thread or the previous!  

And I don't have to comment I suppose beyond your answer, just curious...

Hypothetical I guess...

If you knew, or there were DNA results via good peer review, or even your own results, that BFs were in the genus Homo....maybe Homo erectus (or the RDC people alive 11K years ago), or even boisie.. (extinct so long tho!)....but still without a speciman...and still an unregulated pursuit...(you can know, or 'science,'  but the law is far behind. with a much higher hurdle to convince a court of anything scientific, not yet widely accepted).... would you still try to kill one, or advocate killing one by people such as our selves (rather than say a government agency), to provide a type speciman?

Edited by apehuman

If you can give me some links of reports with this sound in them, I'd appreciate it. 

Apologies for the late reply - just had a baby and have been busy!

I don't have a list of specific sighting reports handy, but I know Meldrum's book (believe it was within the first 20-30 odd pages) described 'clicking' sounds heard around the time he reports a nocturnal visitor in his campsite that brushed across a tent, left ape-sized and shaped footprints in the wet ground, and may have also opened a closed backpack to get at food packets inside. That was the first one I remember coming across, which stuck out in my mind because I'd heard something similar not too long before I read Meldrum's book.

I can't recall exact reports, but there were also a few scattered throughout the BFRO database, as well as some of the various others (GCBRO, Bobbie Short's old site, etc) And of course the NAWAC has been describing 'mouth sounds' recently.

Descriptions of sounds heard in the woods are of course totally subjective and no doubt open to massively broad interpretation without actual audio recordings to listen to and compare. But the descriptions people have offered sure do sound eerily similar to what I heard, and I haven't yet found a conventional explanation for them that even comes close.

go to Cornell's bird website....and listen to some Raven clucks..especially in the  Macaulay nature sound library on that site..

ravens have a cluck sound...that we can almost replicate...  that they use infrequently as territorial...

it is also a candidate for these sounds...either Bfs imitating them...or just producing a similar loud cluck...

however, at night it is not as likely a mimic tool...but the ability..to make the same sound, repeatably and importantly IMO without any movement...except the mouth

we can..or some of us...it takes practice...

that is my best guess of what I hear at my site...and associate it strongly, for me, with the Bf activity

Edited by apehuman

Bipto, it isn't a trap..my question.

I really would like a serious, honest answer.  I think it is a very important demarcation..how one answers that question, and  to say yeah or neah, directly to such a potential future senario might lead us to commonality ..

Not to derail here either and I am dropping this in just b/c it is amazing...and don't want to start a thread..but it is a possible outcome to the efforts you describe ..http://www.newson6.com/story/23863004/rogers-county-makes-arrest...if not by you, then others. I did read Branco's post here regarding such incidents already...

Edited by apehuman

Hypothetical I guess...

Too hypothetical. What I'll say is, we're trying to establish the species based on scientific practices. If it were already established via DNA, then our efforts would likely be redundant and our focus would necessarily have to evolve. 

Not to derail here either and I am dropping this in just b/c it is amazing...and don't want to start a thread..but it is a possible outcome to the efforts you describe ..http://www.newson6.com/story/23863004/rogers-county-makes-arrest...if not by you, then others. 

Whenever one goes into the woods with a firearm, it's a potentially dangerous situation. That's why we have specific protocols that all members have to agree to abide by before they're allowed participate in the Ouachita Project. I don't know the specifics of what happened in this case other than what I've read, but we take our safety and the safety of others very seriously. It's unfortunate that, once again, the potentially foolish actions of a few will be unfairly used against others.