Why Cover Up Big Foot?

Guest Grifter9931

BFF Patron

Notice that the Federal raids were described as being particularly heavy handed.     Also notice that the one man committed suicide in Illinois rather than New Mexico where he lived.      Two shots to the chest?      He had not even gone to trail yet.    Does someone not want a trial? 

Curious, theft under $5000 doesn't sound worth topping yourself for unless it's a 3rd strike.

Keep an ear to the ground for us though, sandal and a basket doesn't sound earth shattering or disturbing.

BFF Patron

The Utah sting link Incorriggible posted explains the suicides.     I cannot see anything in the links that explain why the NA would not accept some of the evidence back other than it was tainted by having caused the death of those who had it.     I think it is strange that for the most part NA people are less interested in these artifacts than the Federal Agency do-gooders who go to such lengths to protect it.   If that old stuff was of interest to them culturally,   they would have their own archeologists and be out collecting and cataloging it.   That is probably done but I think to a lot of them it is just old junk that should just be left alone.        My Uncle was a professor and part time park ranger.      He had an arrowhead collection that had to have hundreds of arrow and spear heads in it.   I am not sure where that went when he died,   but I am glad I don't have it.  It has always been my policy not to have things in my possession that will get me arrested. 

It occurs to me that here in Connecticut we have Cougar sightings (four legged) nearly every week (the two legged are nightly), yet the Connecticut DEEP steadfastly maintains that there is not a breeding population of cougars (four legged) in Connecticut.  Any claims that they cannot simply brush away, they chalk off as itinerant (four legged, the two legged are endemic).

If I'm not mistaken, agencies in other states take a similar stance.

Why not simply admit that cougars are repopulating the US from coast to coast?  What is the downside of doing so?  Why won't they just come out and say that these predators are wandering around in our suburbs?

Edited by JDL

Anytime I've mentioned cougars to the georgia DNR I might as well have been talking bigfoot. I have seen their tracks and heard their screams. Just like bigfoot- not good enough.

Locals had been seeing the odd cougar sign for a decade or more, then seeing them semi regular for 5 years, and then when someone got a picture to a paper a couple of years back our MNR finally admitted they'd returned to firmer range in southern Ontario.

Then this year, black bears decided to range south, late spring was when all the outdoorsy people figured this, bears had a field day for a couple of months in the campsites, then they were getting treed in city back yards, on TV news, and finally halfway through the summer they start putting up notices to lock up your food in the campsites.

My city, coyotes start ranging into town a year or so back, eating cats etc, city finally acknowledged it this year, and act like they're all in control now.

It's hard to tell though whether it's pure and utter incompetence, being the last to know, or deliberate obfuscation, stonewalling and even cover up, when they get something they don't want to deal with . ... because yes, in all of these cases, cougars or bears "too far" south, coyotes "improbably" close to town, the first waves of citizens reporting them, may as well have been reporting bigfoot, for the kind of response they got.