Eyeglow Encounters

I've never had an encounter with a BF but do believe that they exist. I also do not doubt what you have seen. Having said all of that, eye glow does not exist in the animal kingdom. I am an optometrist and have had many vision science courses. What I believe is being seen is eye shine from an extremely developed tapetum lucidum. This layer amplifies any available light for the animal's photorecptors and would account for their extremely good night vision. Even a cloudy, dark night would have some light. Think of the tapetum lucidum like a magnifying glass to an ant. The existing light is concentrated.

If this creature's eyes create light, then it would be unique among any animal alive. Physiologically, I have know idea how this would even be possible.

The problem with your idea is that the light appears to come from the "whites of the eye", not the pupil as in eye shine. I was only 20 feet from the subject and I could clearly see dark pupils in the green glowing "whites". The links on those BFRO pics show the same thing. I agree with you as to how this would be possible. My thoughts are that the eyes are somehow gathering IR light from the surroundings and projecting IR out the pupil so they may see in total darkness. The glowing eyes are an artifact of this mecahanism. This is just a guess I am toying with. I am a systemist and this kind of thing is kind of out of my expertise.

Also, there was a video floating around...Google "cat eyes boy China" and the report seems to match what we often hear about BFs...sensitivity to light and ability to see in dark..any thoughts..hope it is not a hoax

thanks for links OhZoo.. I will look for the one I mentioned by the random youtuber also...maybe that is the start just collecting as much media along side this?

Ha, I watched the youtube report about cat eyes boy. He has blue eyes. This is because the iris does not have much pigment. Blue-eyed people do not have as much pigmentation of their irides or inside the RPE (a layer inside the retina that absorbs light). This would account for his sensitivity to light. An exteme condition of this is caused by albinism. They have no pigment and have extreme light sensitivity.

The real question is whether what color his parents' eyes are. If his dad and mom's eyes are brown, mom might have some explaining to do.

Edited by snowman737

Ha, I watched the youtube report about cat eyes boy. He has blue eyes. This is because the iris does not have much pigment. Blue-eyed people do not have as much pigmentation of their irides or inside the RPE (a layer inside the retina that absorbs light). This would account for his sensitivity to light. An exteme condition of this is caused by albinism. They have no pigment and have extreme light sensitivity.

The real question is whether what color his parents' eyes are. If his dad and mom's eyes are brown, mom might have some explaining to do.

If both mom and dad are heterozygous for blue eyes, then a blue eyed offspring will occur in 25% of the offspring

Edited by OHZoologist

Didn't they claim this boy could see very well in the dark and had eye shine in excess of others? Not that it solves anything, but if true it seems a start in a direction that might be valid? Or apparently not.

I suspect the reason or how this occurs will elude us for some time, especially if we are not looking for it, documenting it as best we can, and comparing notes....short of a Body and I am not a proponent of that....

Edited by apehuman

I was only kidding about the mom and dad blue eyes thing. Not too many Chinese are heterozygus for blue eyes though. This kid probably just has some form of albinism.

The whites of the eyes (sclera) are made of connective tissue. Imho there is no way the scleral can reflect enough light to be seen in very dark conditions.

Didn't they claim this boy could see very well in the dark and had eye shine in excess of others? Not that it solves anything, but if true it seems a start in a direction that might be valid? Or apparently not.

I suspect the reason or how this occurs will elude us for some time, especially if we are not looking for it, documenting it as best we can, and comparing notes....short of a Body and I am not a proponent of that....

It looks to me that this is the first time any differentiation has been noticed between eye shine and eye glow. I think there is a lot we can learn from this. It will be nice to know of other people who have seen this as well as different ideas about the mechanisms involved.

Snowman (appropriate for the season!) His photo does not appear to show skin type albinism...but perhaps the eyes do, however albinism in eyes doesn't point to night vision or eye shine as associated with this loss of pigment in the eye....so that part...does he actually see better in the dark? is my interest..and perhaps can not be answered except by this one small report...of these claims

Hope so Ohzoo!

Edited by apehuman

He might see slightly better in the dark because his eyes clearly do not have much pigment. As far as eye shine, why didn't they show it on the video? Just put the kid in a dark room with a flashlight and record him. This kid has little pigmentation in his eyes, that's about it.

Edited by snowman737

He might see a little better in the dark because his eyes clearly do not have much pigment. As far as eye shine, why didn't they show it on the video? Just put the kid in a dark room with a flashlight and record him. This kid has little pigmentation in his eyes, that's about it.

Humans don't have Tapeti lucidi in their eyes. Two effects can occur that may resemble eyeshine: leukocoria and red-eye effect. Blue eyes are especially vulnerable to the red-eye effect.

Edited by OHZoologist

Yep, sounds about right. I recall also lack of eye shine except a funky flashlight scene. But, they did seem to demonstrate he saw well in the dark, assuming honest. . What I was hoping was that even without a tapeti lucidi this amazing BF night vision and amazing eye shine could be just a small evolutionary step some how..with our morphology or close....

You might know.. I have been told that high (don't know the amount or length of claimed study) doses of Vitamin A were given in WWI or II experimentally and a result (besides toxicity!) was soldiers who could see near IR...have you any knowledge of such?

Otherwise, I feel bad to derail from actual witness accounts or that person who wants to put a compilation together and I cannot edit out all my dribble! later.!

Edited by apehuman

Humans don't have Tapeti lucidi in their eyes. Two effects can occur that may resemble eyeshine: luekocoria and red-eye effect. Blue eyes are especially vulnerable to the red-eye effect.

Totally agree. The red eye effect is probably what they are calling eye shine. He doen't have luekocoria. With little pigmentation in the eye, his red eye effect would be very slightly stronger than someone else's. Not much though. This whole story seems that they are taking very small differences and blowing them out of proportion.

Totally agree. The red eye effect is probably what they are calling eye shine. He doen't have luekocoria. With little pigmentation in the eye, his red eye effect would be very slightly stronger than someone else's. Not much though. This whole story seems that they are taking very small differences and blowing them out of proportion.

The red eye effect only occurs in photography, not in sight. Maybe briefly if there is a bright flash of light.

Edited by OHZoologist

Maybe they took a photo of the kid and called it eye shine. The whole youtube report looked pretty questionable. I'm not expecting to see his case study in any journals anytime soon.

Back to bigfoot. Humans, apes, and most monkeys do not have a tapetum lucidum. So even having this would be very unusual, but imho is the most likely cause of the eye shine.

Edited by snowman737

Maybe they took a photo of the kid and called it eye shine. The whole youtube report looked pretty questionable. I'm not expecting to see his case study in any journals anytime soon.

Back to bigfoot. Humans, apes, and most monkeys do not have a tapetum lucidum. So even having this would be very unusual, but imho is the most likely cause of the eye shine.

If humans and apes do not have a tapetum lucidum, then more than likely we are not dealing with a human or an ape?