Eyeglow Encounters

When you see the deer, were there any lights opposite you on the other side of the road?

I honestly couldn't recall properly without probably being biased. I don't know, which would probably factor in more often than we realize (not really having all the details and information) when we recall events and discount some things while including others from our observations.

Yep, sounds about right. I recall also lack of eye shine except a funky flashlight scene. But, they did seem to demonstrate he saw well in the dark, assuming honest. . What I was hoping was that even without a tapeti lucidi this amazing BF night vision and amazing eye shine could be just a small evolutionary step some how..with our morphology or close....

You might know.. I have been told that high (don't know the amount or length of claimed study) doses of Vitamin A were given in WWI or II experimentally and a result (besides toxicity!) was soldiers who could see near IR...have you any knowledge of such?

Otherwise, I feel bad to derail from actual witness accounts or that person who wants to put a compilation together and I cannot edit out all my dribble! later.!

I have read that. The US military used supplements made from the livers of the walleyed pike (very rich in vitamin A). They were getting very good results seeing into the IR wavelength, the program was shut down when the snooperscope was invented. This piece of technology let anyone that wore them to see the IR wavelength.Japan also did an experiment with thier pilots by boosting the vitamin A absorbtion and could gain what they said was a 100% increase in night vision for that individual.

BFF Patron

Maybe bipedalist a form...born of what you know might be related or significant, which we can get witnesses to fill in blanks, and then force their description into more shared objective terms which can more easily be compared..say moon phase to time to distance..whatever? or the words : glow vs shine..etc...somehow devise a system that allows one to report like: brightness of "blah", whatever seems to make sense as parameters based on the witnesses coming in with descriptions? It might be a start just so we don't misunderstand witnesses by words without clear definition? Does that make sense and if so, what would be good parameters/definitions...any corollary in other biology...? With that type form perhaps it is a thread that could grow by itself over time almost unattended?

I think we already have such a form born of the database efforts of gigantor and John Green actually. I know we had some volunteers that were even collecting data using what was already available in the John Green database and had actually tallied differing colors into a graph of some kind John Green database eye reflection eye reflection drop down is on page 3.

Edited by bipedalist

I just watched an old doc./film on the sasquatch today. They even mentioned the glowing red eyes back then too.

Truth is truth no matter how much people ridicule or make fun of it.

I saw bright orange the first night of investigation at the new location.

I think we already have such a form born of the database efforts of gigantor and John Green actually. I know we had some volunteers that were even collecting data using what was already available in the John Green database and had actually tallied differing colors into a graph of some kind John Green database eye reflection eye reflection drop down is on page 3.

I will. And perhaps if/when I get done with this personal effort my time will be spent in doing what I asking others to now!

I have read that. The US military used supplements made from the livers of the walleyed pike (very rich in vitamin A). They were getting very good results seeing into the IR wavelength, the program was shut down when the snooperscope was invented. This piece of technology let anyone that wore them to see the IR wavelength.Japan also did an experiment with thier pilots by boosting the vitamin A absorbtion and could gain what they said was a 100% increase in night vision for that individual.

Ok, that's enough for me to force myself to take more vitamins. Seriously. BF like deer as far as I can tell, and raw liver is high in Vitamin A too. It does seem their night vision might only be a small step from ours.

Edited by apehuman

I will. And perhaps if/when I get done with this personal effort my time will be spent in doing what I asking others to now!

Ok, that's enough for me to force myself to take more vitamins. Seriously. BF like deer as far as I can tell, and raw liver is high in Vitamin A too. It does seem their night vision might only be a small step from ours.

AH, Sorry if you already know this. The trick to seeing at night is not trying to focus and look with the corners of your eyes. It takes some practice. I can get a round fine in the darkness, slowly, but I get around. My daughter is always amazed that I can get around in the darkness like I do.

AH, Sorry if you already know this. The trick to seeing at night is not trying to focus and look with the corners of your eyes. It takes some practice. I can get a round fine in the darkness, slowly, but I get around. My daughter is always amazed that I can get around in the darkness like I do.

Yes I do, and for me it takes almost 90 minutes for full night sight. It's not the corner of my field of vision for best viewing, but if I look just a smidge to the side of the pin light source or object. I think that is b/c we have fewer rods (or cones?) in the center....I had a fairly severe discipline about artificial light after dark...b/c it blows a great deal of witness and also I had set a pattern of "safety" around camp, in that they had confidence from my repeated not using nightlights etc I wouldn't shine one in their face close....or so I hoped.

Edited by apehuman

Yes I do, and for me it takes almost 90 minutes for full night sight. It's not the corner of my field of vision for best viewing, but if I look just a smidge to the side of the pin light source or object. I think that is b/c we have fewer rods (or cones?) in the center....I had a fairly severe discipline about artificial light after dark...b/c it blows a great deal of witness and also I had set a pattern of "safety" around camp, in that they had confidence from my repeated not using nightlights etc I wouldn't shine one in their face close....or so I hoped.

I guess everyone has different abilities for night vision. Only takes me about 5 minutes. I was taught by my mentor not to use lights. Never had a fire except in very bad cold. Never used flashlights. Everything had to be done without light.

You are correct about the being fewer rods in the middle of the cornea and more rods surrounding the center. In astronomy there is a technique called averted vision. This would be used if you were looking for a really faint object such as a galaxy. You look slightly off center of the object you are looking for and you have to stare. Don't move your head and it will slowly come into perception.

Another technique for seeing in the dark is to slightly pan your head using your neck muscles instead of moving your eyes. Keep your eyes looking forward in one direction. You will be able to notice shades of black/grey. So with these 2 techniques you can train yourself to see better in the dark to some degree.

I am red/green color blind so I may be able to see better in the dark, but it looks like I will be missing out on this colored eye glow if I were to ever see any :( Also I have noticed that a larger percentage of woman have decreased night vision, I read that this may be because a large percentage of woman have increased color sense.

I've read this whole thread and find it really interesting. The thing that really gets me is that it is not the pupil that is glowing rather that it is the area around the pupil according to Ohio. I can't quite get my head wrapped around that. What purpose it would serve is the biggest question.

Careful on the vitamin A! You can OD on it.

The more people contact me or post here the more I think this subject deserves deeper treatment with recent witnesses and ideas, so I am trying to commit to following this through after this other stuff is done..so probably March to begin..hoping..

At any rate, I have now about 6-8 I want to follow up with at that future date and looking for more. I know they are out there, but this witness is still kind of discarded by some/many.....and it feels like time to update Greens old stuff (which were mostly accidental encounters by freaked out people)...so like bipdalist, if you are reading this and wondering if you want to be more vocal..please do, if not, but willing to become an anon/witness in a larger work Pm us!

I also am looking for any rational explanation, from the Vitamin A and our own ability to anything... I do know certain quartz when rubbed together can create small flashes (often kept by NA for that purpose) and this could be...for the distant flashing...I feel the flashes (closest about 40 yards) are part of the same ability with eyes, but don't know..! I can just say they occur when I am pretty certain the BFs around and in similar locations to eye shine and/or habitual places they travel and view....

..the glowing and light tracking was up close and personal and had two "eyes" set well part...so no wondering there... OHZoo's experience the most interesting b/c of the resolution btw pupil and surrounding white...bio-chemical is coming to my mind more often..in concert with better night vision...? I don't know much about nocturnal primates...and even a symbiotic relationship can't be entirely ruled out..but seems improbable (headlamp beetles?)

So I am rally grateful for those here talking, makes me feel like there is chance of sorting this out better.

@Goony...thanks, good stuff there.

I just watched an old doc./film on the sasquatch today. They even mentioned the glowing red eyes back then too.

Truth is truth no matter how much people ridicule or make fun of it.

I saw bright orange the first night of investigation at the new location.

yeah, so it is out there, and goes way back...and I guilty of seeing that early and just not "getting it"...and discarding as sensational..or too limited a witness..it is hard for someone new to BF world to even begin to weigh credibility in the many websites/books and we tend to rely on the, I don't know what,..on the most vocal/popular BFers?

and then having my own repeated witness..to make that leap to wow, it's true! .so it is a thing in BF articles/anything....getting it to rise to conventional wisdom to then be further tested by other BFers...?

Edited by apehuman

I also am looking for any rational explanation, from the Vitamin A and our own ability to anything... I do know certain quartz when rubbed together can create small flashes (often kept by NA for that purpose) and this could be...for the distant flashing...I feel the flashes (closest about 40 yards) are part of the same ability with eyes, but don't know..! I can just say they occur when I am pretty certain the BFs around and in similar locations to eye shine and/or habitual places they travel and view....

Ok I have not heard of this. Can you describe these flashes?

it's i n this thread early, and habituating with more detail ..what was going on etc. This witness, many times, pretty confident about it..and that part, telling all this in order I am working on..with supporting media when I have it.. The Habituating thread I am told has a lot of info (it has gone on so long I haven't re-read) but others come forward too

I have been witness to this also. As much as I HATE to admit it - I have seen this "eye shine." Although I would not call it eye shine at all. It was not typical of any eye shine I have ever seen from an animal in the past. I have been out on the internet looking for photos of animal eyes and the closest I have found to the way it looked was rabbit eyes.. But the colors, size and shape were different. I would describe it as a "flat matte" color. No light "bounced out" from the eye - there was no "halo" effect. There was a "light lure" between myself and the subject. The lure was strapped to a tree 4 feet up - I was approximately 150 yards from whatever this was. I did not see the animal it was attached to - and if it were an animal in a tree - well, there was no tree it was a bush hardly strong enough to support a raccoon - definitely not something that had eyes that size. No way.

What I seen was different than some describe however. What I seen had no white or black to the eye - it was a bright orange in the center and as you worked your way to the edge of the eye the bright orange became more of a reddish color... I know it sounds crazy - but that is what I seen - and I have spent a fair amount of time laughing at people who said they seen this.. Not anymore. I can't explain it - and Sasyfoot is right, when you see it - you want an answer. I have searched for an answer now since 2010 and have not found anything that can truly explain this.

I'm not sure what else there is to say - I seen it. I can't deny it. I feel bad for poking fun at others who had seen it before. There has to be a way to explain it - but people need to feel like they can discuss it without being ridiculed. The first thing said to me about this is, "Don't ever talk about this publicly - you will be trashed for admitting you seen this." But, I did see it - I can't help that. I wish I could "un-see" it - but that isn't going to happen either. I want an answer for what I seen. It was NOT a bear. It was NOT an owl. It was NOT an animal I had ever seen before it in the woods.

I didn't see that. You see I have seen flashes. Bright flashes. I have never been able to figure out what they were. They started I believe in 2005 and I saw them again in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The first set was in October and the rest were in September of those years. It is almost exactly where I saw my first two BFs. The flashes always occur from exactly the same place. It is a flash like a flash bulb and rotates from left to right. What is really weird is that there is this lagging afterglow that trails behind it which makes no sense. The light itself is very metallic looking like it had mercury in it. The flashes come from brush on the side of a hill across the valley. I have a journal of the whole affair at work with dates and times. I will have to go back and look at the habituating thread. I know I did miss a few of the beginning pages. The link google gave me started on like page 5 or so.