Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

There is no real reason for a Sasquatch to do this either. That's a lot of wasted calories for a creature who's first goal is probably finding food.

I have never really thought about the calories required to create all of the mischief we attribute to bigfoot. Not to mention the time this mischief takes away from finding more calories.

• Upvote 1

Shelter is a critical need, no less than food, water and a mate.  While BF seems to have adaptations for climatic extremes, building some cover where none is offered naturally vs. burning calories to stay exposed seems a good evolutionary trade-off to me. Umm...case in point: Us.

And I'd just say, before making judgments about wasting calories, it would be essential to know  the"For what return on investment?" aspect of it. Since I certainly don't have a firm grasp of why these things are being constructed, it would be rash of me to think I know if it is worthwhile, or not.

Edited by WSA

^

I agree with food, mate and maybe shelter being priorities.

The vast majority of stick structures would hardly qualify as shelter.

^^ That is my thinking as well. I have no problem with the idea of creating shelter, but any pics that I have seen would hardly qualify as shelter.

Let's also not overlook primate territorial displays...for which we have ample evidence. You may not get the message or purpose behind this stuff, but it probably is not ditected at you either.

Perhaps the various loose constructions are tokens of young males affection for one or another female. Like human males sending flowers for Valentine's day.

So far, I think this thread is bearing out its original purpose. It was/is, to merely document this stuff that keeps popping up in forested areas in N. America, noting that no plausible evidence of human agency in the creation of it has been advanced, the purpose behind its creation is uncertain, and the creation of it by  natural causes is just as unlikely.  That there continues to be a correlation between reports of BF encounters in the proximity of these structures makes this phenomenon all the more intriguing.

So, to sum it up:

1. These are there.

2. They are either beyond the physical capability of  humans without mechanical assistance, or would have no discernible purpose if done in that manner.

3. Wind, rain, ice and snow are inadequate explanations.

4. They are found in the proximity of areas where BF sightings have been reported.

5. There are consistent patterns of construction across time and vast geographic areas.

6. Their purpose is unknown.

7. Their origins remain unexplained. 

I would welcome any discussion of these points that is evidence based, and not just rank opinion, or any other points germane to the subject, and which I've failed to note.  

• Upvote 2

Respectfully disagree wholesale with above posting. How many think rudimentary, haphazard "structures" owe their existence to a heretofore unrecognized bipedal cryptid? Your mileage may vary.

• Upvote 2

So far, I think this thread is bearing out its original purpose. It was/is, to merely document this stuff that keeps popping up in forested areas in N. America, noting that no plausible evidence of human agency in the creation of it has been advanced, the purpose behind its creation is uncertain, and the creation of it by  natural causes is just as unlikely.  That there continues to be a correlation between reports of BF encounters in the proximity of these structures makes this phenomenon all the more intriguing.

You may keep stating things like this as if they are facts, but they are not.

• Upvote 1

You may keep stating things like this as if they are facts, but they are not.

Seems to be the habit of a couple folks, hereabout.

• Upvote 3

Forget BF if it helps you. You can toss out the correlation to BF sightings completely, if you like,  and you still have a substantial mystery to explain.   

Those who know the woods, have spent substantial amounts of time in them, hiked extensively off-trail, logged, cleared land, run equipment, farmed, etc., have documented these things.  I've seen some very weird stuff out there too, that left me sort of baffled. A hoaxer is no more credible an explanation than the idea that somebody is tracking around in the remote backcountry of N. America day and night with outsized foam feet, against the one-in-a-trillion chance of an observer wandering by.

If you've done any of these above described activities to any great extent, I'd be interested in your views and plausible explanations backed up by a sound theory. .  

Pretending these things aren't there, or offering conclusions not backed by experience or a reference to any authority is not really helpful, thanks. 

I can offer from my own point of view that the tree "things" I've seen documented clearly were not placed by the random action of the weather, at least as I've observed those things to occur over a lifetime of experience. I've never talked to anyone who had experience who could describe how this happens either. I've researched in vain for some natural explanation that I've overlooked, and nobody has submitted anything remotely plausible to me.

So, I consider this phenomenon firmly in the "unexplained, awaiting further evidence" file.  If you've got something to offer me, please do.

I find it difficult to understand how you find natural events like wind, snowfall and plant pathology to be implausible.  You seem to want it to be unexplained, therefore bigfoot, so badly that you wholesale dismiss the obvious.

I ask you again, since you seemed determined to push the mystery agenda, please present several tree structures or breaks along with your analysis as to why any natural cause would be implausible.

You will probably not do this, however, preferring instead to talk about how mysterious this all is. 

Edited by dmaker

• masterbarber unpinned this topic