Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

Indeed. You have to know what you are looking at. THAT takes experience and as much discernment as possible. I've see untold numbers of trees doing weird stuff. 99.9999999% of those times I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. It is that rare, I think, but you have to be looking for it.

Trees get dragged in to block off ATV and off road trails in general all the time. Many multi-use trails around here suddenly end up with a tree across it.  It is the horse riders and pedestrians that do it who believe that motorized vehicles have no place on the trails.  

Don't doubt you for a second, but totally unrelated to the incident I described.

"I was called by a member I knew well and who had experienced an encounter with a BF a few years earlier, because he wanted me to see something that would interest me, A few members, he and I drove to the cliff. They showed me a long section of a very large dead pine with part of the root system, stump and broken limbs attached. That part of the tree had been dragged from its original location and placed across the ATV trail a few nights before I arrived. That original position was about twenty five yards of the trail. The tree’s placement and its diameter effectively blocked the use of the trail by an ATV, Tracks along the drag trail clearly showed that more than two BF had moved the tree. A chain saw, two ATVs and some men finally removed the tree from the trail. "

Yeah, sometimes you gotta read it a little.  Takes a real scientist, a Ph.D, I tell ya.  Oh wait.  They're not smart enough.  They know it all...

Hello All,

The other day I halted everything I was doing and had planned for the day because I saw something on the internet that wasn't true!

I guess we are fortunate that we have you, neither PhD nor scientist, to guide us.

It doesn't requires being a PhD or being a scientist to determine if a relatively large tree has been twisted or twisted off, or if a huge tree has been moved from its original fallen location by machinery, storms or Bigfoot, especially if those events occurred within a reasonably short time before being found. It does require common sense, detailed observations, and logic to make those determinations. (Seventy one years of "woods rat" experience would not be required either; but some would certainly be helpful.)  

The fact is that the majority of hunters, hikers, fishermen/women, mushroom or berry/fruit pickers who are in the woods don't even believe such a critter as Bigfoot exist. They certainly aren't going to take much time away from their activities to look at odd tree conditions or placements. (I suspect I probably did that a few times before I woke up to the truth several decades ago. Looking back, its pretty dang clear I misinterpreted some animal sounds, odors, tracks and sign. 

Meaning no disrespect to any poster; just an old f--t's opinion.

• Upvote 1

If anyone is interested in seeing sign of environmental impact, it's easier to spot during the dawn and dusk hours. My facts only, your mileage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

The pinned tree-bows I feel are the most likely to occur naturally.  I would have to see the surrounding woods to say for sure about any particular one, and this theory is just now getting on my personal radar to consider examining next time I might see anything similar.  I had seen more than one comment from posters about how these were flags for activity in a given area, and that intrigues me. My alternate theory is that any standing dead tree that falls only has to catch on one limb of a standing sapling in order to pin it down. How often this truly happens is what I really don't know, and can't predict with any certainty. You'd just about have to witness it happening to be sure. I've felled a few trees in my time, and I know they do get hung-up (the proverbial widow maker) but how often could you expec that to happen randomly just due to forest entropy at work? If someone would describre an incident where they saw purported BF activity at an location, and then found a new tree-bow shortly after that, I'd be very interested to hear that described.     

Hi WSA,

Yesterday on my way back from Skookum Lake I saw two trees that were twisted and pinned down. I too think it most likely occurred naturally as there was an old larger tree that fell on it. IMO I don't see any reason why a bigfoot would have done it.

Hello CMB. Yep, that would not be unusual at all, I think we all can agree.  You being on the site, and me not, leaves me to defer to your opinions on it. Those with any observational skills at all can typically know and tell the difference between what is not worth a second look, and things that don't look quite right.  Have ever noted any of the latter ?

Hi WSA,

In 2001 or 2002 I found this dome shaped vine maple type structure that didn't occur naturally. It took hands to make it. I found it between a river and a meadow. So I think it was most likely made by person, probably a hunter.

Interesting assemblage^^^^  These are the kind of things that puzzle me. Why would any person spend the time and effort to do something like this? If it were for the purpose of lofting a tarp over it for shelter from the rain, you'd expect some other sign of a camp, fire ring, litter or just evidence the surrounding ground was tramped down. What makes you conclude it was a hunter, I guess I should ask? Also, where was this, if you don't mind me asking?  

I think it might of been a hunter (most likely for bear) that's why no trash or fire ring was found around the area. Here in Oregon bear season starts August 1st and you're not supposed to use bait or dogs to hunt them. This vine maple structure was found between the only good trail that goes down to the river and this meadow that has some old apple trees on the otherside. The apples are ripe in August and if this structure was made in August it would of had more leaves on it. I think it was in a good spot to wait for any animal walking this trail to or from the meadow or river. But that's just my opinion. 

I don't know who made it. And I've never seen anything like it before or after.

Location Clackamas County Oregon.

I did want to note that some people's (not naming names and no not citing the poster immediately above me) unwavering faith in people who have demonstrated nothing giving anyone reason to have faith in them I find really touching.

I don't care what your degrees are.  When it comes to this topic, science says! that people with far less edumacation know far more about this than you, if all you are doing is saying nay.

(Never mind the people with edumacation equal to yourn what are tellin' you, boy! ...do your homework, and you might learn somethin'.)

Faith in sheepskin is no better than faith in sheep.  Unless wool and mutton are all you want.

Your degrees mean nothing here...unless you can demonstrate their use.

Edited by DWA

Think you dropped that into the wrong thread, maybe, DWA?^^^

CMB, you know your woods, and I wasn't there, but I'm not seeing anything that jumps out as anything a hunter would build for purposes of making a blind, it that is what you're thinking. To me, it looks way to high off the ground for that, and I'm not able to picture what you'd add to it to make it any kind of camo'd position.

Hi WSA,

If a hunter made the structure maybe he/she put a popup blind in it. There's plenty of room for one. 

Here's a photo of my popup blind I use with my FLIR set up in it.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic